HPS: Danube Front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPS: Danube Front

They just rolled this out today so I picked up a copy. Hopefully I'll get it sometime next week. Apparently it's incorporated a number of changes from the last two games so I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to be posted my thoughts here periodically. Anybody else pick this up yet?
    "I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend."

Jack Handy

Not yet, though I know a few other guys at the Modern Battles Club have it on order. I'm waiting for some Christmas $$, but hopefully will have it ordered in a week or so.

I'm currently having fun with FG85, and was planning to purchase NGP. But now...
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
      Not yet, though I know a few other guys at the Modern Battles Club have it on order. I'm waiting for some Christmas $$, but hopefully will have it ordered in a week or so.

I'm currently having fun with FG85, and was planning to purchase NGP. But now...
      Yes you're definately going to want to purchase Danube instead. Apparently a lot of the rules have been revamped and it has a greater number of unit types. Plus I've been waiting for the new map forever.
      "I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend."

Jack Handy

Comment

Yes, I've been reading through the designer notes and it sounds like a nice upgrade. Also sounds like they're going to roll out the engine updates to the other titles in the series, too.

Comment

I've been waiting for them to fix the helicopter situation to make it more realistic. I'm hoping for X-Mas cash to get this baby also. Looking forward to them getting the rest of the series patched up to include the changes.
          Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it!

Comment

Got my copy last night and my first impression of it is "My hat off to ya". They put a lot of work into this one. More so than the upgrade from Fulda to NGP.

First off the map is fantastic, you can now micromanage the whole battle from Denmark to Austria. I spent a fair amount time last time scanning the new terrain and it's just as detailed as the other maps. Also they included a lot of background story material that I enjoyed reading.

The order of battle is much improved and packs a whole lot of interested units. I like the addition of the 10th SF Group. The oob is pretty accurate so I'll only have to tweak it a bit. A few of the designations are off but we can't have everything can we.

Also the unit types have been greatly expanded, the East Germans and Poles now have BMP's among other things. Thank goodness I don't have to create homemade units again. Also kudos for being the first wargame ever to get F-40 Armor correct(my old unit). I see in the designers notes that they consulted the Tank.net forums of which I made a few posts regarding my old unit. I'd like to think that was my minute contribution to this endeavor.

One thing of note. I didn't see a section detailing just the changes since NGP. That would be helpfully for the experienced players who really don't need to wade through all the basic rules. For example I was attempted to locate the new helicopter rules but I haven't found anything really specific yet as to how it has changed.

I'm going to give a small scenario a go tonight.

Out here.

Jack Handy

Comment

The designers notes are quite interesting, here is the one that outlines some of the changes since NGP in detail: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/blog...4568&entry=369

Link to the blog where the notes are posted: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/blog...hp?userid=4568

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
                The designers notes are quite interesting, here is the one that outlines some of the changes since NGP in detail: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/blog...4568&entry=369

Link to the blog where the notes are posted: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/blog...hp?userid=4568
                Thanks for link

Jack Handy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X