Favorite 4X Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite 4X Game

I haven't been able to get back to Civ IV, because my wife took over the only computer it runs on. I was going into 4X-game withdrawals, so I hunted for the Civ III CD so I could re-install it on our other computer -- but it remains missing. I did find Alpha Centauri, however, so I installed that instead and ended up playing it all weekend.

I must say, there's something truly compelling about these 4X games. Oh, and if you're unfamiliar with the term, check here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X

What's your favorite, and why? I'm asking because I may end up trying some new titles in this genre.

I've played Civilization, Master of Magic, Master of Orion, and Alpha Centauri. I think that's about it. Never tried Galactic Civilizations or Space Empires (or the old Empire). And there may be some I'm forgetting about.

If you could only have one of these, which would you be playing?
    Space Empires
    0.00%
    Civilization
    55.56%
    Master of Orion
    11.11%
    Galactic Civilizations
    11.11%
    Master of Magic
    5.56%
    Alpha Centauri
    11.11%
    Other _______________________________
    5.56%
    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Long time addict of both Civ and Heroes.

One for quasi real world, other for entirely fantasy realm.

Both games have undergone considerable evolutions since the first release.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
      Long time addict of both Civ and Heroes.

One for quasi real world, other for entirely fantasy realm.

Both games have undergone considerable evolutions since the first release.
      Not sure I'd put Heroes in the same category. According to the article I cited:

"The Heroes of Might and Magic series is a borderline case - players have to "explore, expand, exploit and exterminate", but: there is no real distinction between colonization and invasion; most of the economic management is really more like raiding; research is mainly a matter of buying higher-level spell-books; and most battles are decided by vast numbers of basic units."

I have played all four versions of Civilization, and I've played Heroes II and III (we own Heroes V, but my wife was instantly turned off by the 3D graphics, and I haven't tried it yet myself).

Another game I tried, briefly, was Dominions II. It was highly recommended by fans, so I gave it a try. Soon realized it wasn't my cup of tea, though. It's kind of a complicated multiplayer board game adapted for the computer; and it only works well as a multiplayer game. It also has a funny interface, IIRC, and takes some getting used to.
      --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Of those listed definitely CIV, particularly with the incredibly rich mods available. Just downloaded two which completely change the dynamic of play in different ways. I find my self rotating between vanilla and both expansions just to play different mods.

Not sure Heroes really qulalifies as 4x, first of all for its linearity, nor would my favorite Paradox games which lack true exploit in the sense of access to resources being real limiters.

had a similar reaction to Dominions.
        Boston Strong!

Comment

Civ II (Test of Time version) is still my 4X of choice although Space Empires IV sometimes gets a play. I have GalCiv and MOO2 but, as yet, they are unplayed (given that I paid 50 pence for each I'm not worried ). I would say that CivIII left me cold and I haven't considered getting CivIV as yet. Maybe when the next 'Gold' release comes out I might consider it.
          Signing out.

Comment

I've been liking Alpha Centauri again lately. It has "property lines" on the map like Civ IV, and it has a nice feel to it overall.

Still haven't been able to find the Civ III CD, though my search did turn up a Civ II CD last night. No, I didn't install that one; I just wondered why it was still around.

My wife and I both miss Master of Magic. Well, kind of. She got it to run (with the help of DOSBox or something) on our current system, but its interface is so old-fashioned now that it's hard to enjoy the game anymore. But if it were upgraded to run on today's computer systems, and maybe given a graphic face-lift, it'd be the best 4X game ever, IMO.

The great thing about MoM is that it's so customizable -- and the customizations really mean something! It matters which race you start out with, and what combination of magic books and skills; your choices end up coloring the whole game. A huge part of what makes MoM enjoyable is discovering, through repeated play, what kind of game, or style of play, suits you best. The game becomes a reflection of your own personality.

In other games, the choices don't seem to matter as much. In Civ IV, I don't see any big difference between playing as the Romans and playing as the Malinese or Chinese or whatever; the differences don't seem to have a big impact on the game.

Alpha Centauri falls somewhere in between, I guess. It does matter which faction you choose at the start of the game. I can almost never win as Morgan (the mogul). I'm usually happiest and most successful as Yang (the despot) -- though sometimes it's fun to play as Miriam, whose fanatical Believers can wreak havoc across the map.

So, SMAC is a good game; it should tide me over till I get around to buying a new computer -- one that can run current software.
            --Patrick Carroll

Comment

SMAC gets my top vote because of the civ-like play and customization options for units, though it can be a bit sci-fi-ish with the whole fungus and Planet thing. It's a toss up after that... for terrestrial 're-live-a-civ' games, Civ3 over Civ4 (my system can't handle C4 at top settings), for space games, MOO2, for fantasy, MoM (the spellbook rocks).

no CCTP? I liked the future and non-combat units (that just made it into Civ4) allowing for cross-continent movement.

I did the GalCiv series all the way up to Dark Avatar and it just couldn't keep me coming back like MOO2 or SMAC... same with Space Empires. Spooky... I've been playing MOO2 all this week after playing a few C4-BtS scenarios (I think it was the space one that got me).

ST: BotF is OK, but it is a little... scripted... when it comes to what you can and can't do.
              If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

MOO2 is an excellent game. Lots of key decisions for players and lots of variability and replayability. I have GalCiv2 and MOO2. GalCiv2 has better graphics but that is the only advantage it has over MOO2.

I've also played the CIV3 series. That is quite good as well.

Comment

Oh what great joy i had playing the first Civ game back in the day, lol. I still remember the joy i felt the first time my Rocket lifted off for Alpha Centari!

Im not even sure i remember the name of the last one i played, it was the one where you could get the 7 wonders of the 3 seperate time periods as your world evolves, was that II or III?

How is Civ IV? Ive been meaning to get that for some time and i just never get around to it.
                  http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Stars!

pity Stars! Supernova ended up vapourware.
                    Now listening too;
                    - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X