Combat Mission: Shock Force Recon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Mission: Shock Force Recon

ACG takes a look at CM:SF to see where the beta is at and what we can expect. It's only a couple months away now!

Preview
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Nice review of the Beta.

Im a longtime CM player and im quite curious to see how well this new battlefield will go over with the diehard CM WWII crowd. I personaly would of preferred a WWII game, but ill give this a go for sure when it comes out. Im sure it will only be a matter of time until a WWII era game comes out. Im sure they will want to keep their fanbase happy. At least i hope so anyhow.
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

While I understand BF wanting to capitalise on the modern genre, the WWII series needed one, perhaps two modules that would have wrapped up the time period before proceeding onwards. Had BF put out an early WWII pack and perhaps a Pacific module they would have guaranteed a fan base.

I am not, myself, interested in the 21st century battlefield (nor flashy graphics) simply because the Nato/Western technological superiority is so pronounced and I am not wioshing to fight insurgency operations. The Sherman or T-34 vs Tiger encounter is at least a worthwhile tactical challenge,...I'm not so sure about the T-55 vs M1a2 or Challenger match up.

But that's just me.

Cheers
      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
        While I understand BF wanting to capitalise on the modern genre, the WWII series needed one, perhaps two modules that would have wrapped up the time period before proceeding onwards. Had BF put out an early WWII pack and perhaps a Pacific module they would have guaranteed a fan base.
        I too would love to see a Pacific Module. I have ached to fight in the footsteps of my Fathers unit in a CM world......

I am not, myself, interested in the 21st century battlefield (nor flashy graphics) simply because the Nato/Western technological superiority is so pronounced and I am not wioshing to fight insurgency operations. The Sherman or T-34 vs Tiger encounter is at least a worthwhile tactical challenge,...I'm not so sure about the T-55 vs M1a2 or Challenger match up.

But that's just me.

Cheers
        Im not big on it either but it could still be interesting. Ill own it if for no other reason than getting to know the ins and outs of the new engine and how the interface works. That being said if the Tanks are removed this could be an interesting Inf vrs Inf game.

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Unconventional warfare - blog entry

New York, USA (May 30, 2007) - To illustrate the aspect of unconventional warfare in Combat Mission: Shock Force, new screenshots showing off the feature were releasedtoday.

In addition to the screens, developer Battlefront has updated the CMSF blog with a full entry dedicated to the subject. This is an excerpt:

Even though Combat Mission Shock Force is focusing on a future hypothetical conventional war, it would not be complete without the inclusion of some basic elements of unconventional warfare. It is an unfortunate fact that the lines between conventional and unconventional warfare are blurring today. Partly due to the strength of the western forces in the area of conventional warfare, unconventional methods are more and more the big equalizer for the opposing force.

As game designers the challenge for us is to add the various elements of unconventional warfare, such as IEDs (improvised explosive devices) or spies, in a realistic way, while preventing them from unbalancing the rest of the simulation. The imbalance could swing either way - if not powerful enough, unconventional elements might be a mere nuisance, only adding micromanagement for both players without any real purpose. If too powerful, players might be tempted to overuse unconventional tactics, thus pushing the limits on what the game is designed to simulate. And that is a conventional warfare setting with an unconventional component, not the other way around.

Read the full entry here:
          http://www.battlefront-newsletter.co...1/Default.aspx
          Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Agree on the comments re Early WW2 and Pacific Combat Mission Games. Would much prefer these to 'modern' stuff.

Comment

Many are puzzled why Battlefront, in its first release using the new engine, is moving so far from its established and enthusiastic fan base--or at least the era and/or type of conflict that all three of its CM releases covered. There is conjecture that there primary goal was to sell this product (or a version of it) to the US military and a secondary goal of tapping into the much larger FPS market.

In any case, Battlefront has just released 4 videos to promote the CMSF's July 27th release (probably delayed from June so as not to be so close to the TOW release) check out the info here:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmsf/videos.html

A good place to download them is here:

http://www.gamershell.com/news/39369.html
              Kampfgruppe Vice Kommandir
              http://www.kampfgruppe.us

Comment

Having followed this a little bit on their forum, the argument BF gave for doing the modern thing was it allowed them to develop a more complex system that would cover from Modern Times Backwards.

IE. the CM series was fataly stuck in WWII as it could not deal with modern missile type weaponry, etc and the vehicle complexity was limited.

They are also going to release one or more modules in the WWII period for this new engine, so stay tuned.

Comment

Sounds like you work for them, lol.

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Reading it back it does, would be nice to get paid for that but sadly no, just me paying them for their goods

Comment

I suppose my fear is that BFs newer WWII will only rehash the theatres they have already done rather than expand the game. CMAK allowed the game to cover the Med from 1940 to 1945 (iirc), which was excellent and CMBB did the same for the war in Russia.

What will be needed to really grab my attention will be the commitment by BF to ensure that they cover the entire war in Europe, if not the Pacific. That would mean 3 modules (4 with the Pacific) covering Western Europe 40-45, Eastern Europe 39-45 and the Med from 40-45. With these three, they'll guarantee my dollars for all three and my own pushing of their product to every gamer (board or computer) I know.
                      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Word was that they will do World War II and all other subjects covered by games using the CM x 2 engine in much smaller chunks than we saw in CMBB, CMAK or even CMBO. The first WW II game to be released is said to be a slice of the summer of 1944 in France after D-Day involving the Americans and Germans only. Further the scale of the games will be smaller than was commonly seen in CM x 1 games. Instead of a couple of battalions, you will see only a couple of companies.

Frankly, find it very difficult to believe Battlefront's explanation for the subject of their first game using the CM x 2 engine. I may have missed it, but there seems to be little demand from wargamers for an asymmetrical wargame set in the near future. However, there may be a demand from the U.S military for such a training tool. There are certainly more interesting options for a modern conflict than the one that was chosen to kick things off.
                        Kampfgruppe Vice Kommandir
                        http://www.kampfgruppe.us

Comment

i for one am not a huge CM fan, but the modern setting for Shock Force has me interested. i'm looking forward to trying this one out.

Comment

New York, USA (July 12, 2007) - Paradox Interactive announced today that their big summer release - Combat Mission: Shock Force, has gone gold.

Shipping to stores worldwide on July 27, this tactical military simulation has strategy fans all over the world in suspense. Combat Mission: Shock Force is the latest installment in the Combat Mission series developed by Battlefront and has been referred to as their flagship title.

"Earlier entries in the Combat Mission series have earned their place as ground breaking in their own genre and Shock Force will be no exception, said Fredrik Wester, Executive Vice President of Paradox Interactive. "This is a much anticipated title among wargamers and strategy gamers alike and we are very excited to bring them what we believe is Battlefront's best work to date".

"We've poured all of our skills and earlier learnt lessons into this project and are more than proud of the end results, said Martin van Balkom, President of Battlefront.com. "With Combat Mission: Shock Force, the series has taken a quantum leap and we are thrilled to work with Paradox Interactive to ensure the game reaches gamers all over the world.

The game has been rated for Teens by ESRB, 12 by PEGI and 16 by USK. It will retail for $39.99/39.99 and will release simultaneously for digital download on GamersGate.
                            Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

I'm a big CM fan. Its still the first game I boot up and play on a regular basis. The thing that has me hooked on it is the tactical scale of the game, sure its getting a wee bit dated but it has everything you could want in a 3D ww2 Sim. The beauty of it, if you own just CMAK and BB is that you can fight the whole war in Europe from start to finish. you can also fight as any of the Allies or Axis forces.

This I think is the whole appeal of it, no 2 battles are the same and the effort that BF put into this is clearly shown in the continued fan base.

The new game, while it does not grab my interest period wise should be a leap forward both graphically and mechanically over the old system.

However, it appears that it will lose depth (Company vs battalion sized actions etc). I can live with this, but the disappointment of the Module system underlies the improvements. The 1st WW2 game will undoubtedly be US Vs Germans in Normandy. It may be good for a while, but the longevity might just not be there as one tires of fighting the same troops over the same terrain with the same equipment. From a selfish UK standpoint, there probably will be a long wait until any UK troops appear in a Module, which I can understand as the biggest market will be the US. It just seems to me that a new Module may arrive every six months or so and I will have to buy it to eventually get the whole war in the ETO. I can imagine the nightmare of arranging games, have you got Module X, no, how about Y etc etc.

So while I'm not disappointed about the premise of a new engine I am a wee bit disaffected by the Module system.
                              Last edited by Geordie; 12 Jul 07, 15:27.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X