Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearts of Iron Info

All,

If anyone has any info/opinions/reviews on Hearts of Iron (the original, not the sequel - I have a pretty old computer), I would greatly appreciate it if they could take the time to share it here. I am considering buying Hearts of Iron to replace a copy of Panzer General that glitched after I had it for about 10 months ( ).

It looks like a really fun game; I've always wanted a wargame that required a good blend of research, diplomacy, strategic skill, and, of course, fighting, to win. However, a review on GameSpot said that the game has "major problems" or something like that. Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks!

Wish I could help

Originally posted by CatholicCrusade View Post
    All,

If anyone has any info/opinions/reviews on Hearts of Iron (the original, not the sequel - I have a pretty old computer), I would greatly appreciate it if they could take the time to share it here. I am considering buying Hearts of Iron to replace a copy of Panzer General that glitched after I had it for about 10 months ( ).

It looks like a really fun game; I've always wanted a wargame that required a good blend of research, diplomacy, strategic skill, and, of course, fighting, to win. However, a review on GameSpot said that the game has "major problems" or something like that. Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks!
    I only have Hearts of Iron 2....I love it. it is one of the best games I have ever had. Hopefully someone can help you with Hearts of Iron. If possible upgrade the PC and get HOI 2.

CD
    "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

I hate HoI, but that's me.

I think you either want to get HoI2, or just find another game.

HoI was spit on a lot even by the fans of HoI.

If you actually liked Panzer General, and your real problem is you suffered a physical loss from damage etc, I can point you to web sites that give it away free. No, not the pirate route, the game is actually given away on more than a few locations.

If you want comparison, and you are looking for global grand strategy. Consider investigating Gary Grigsby's World at War, A World Divided. Major difference, is HoI is RTS, and GGWaW AWD is turn using.

If you are forced, you might consider new computer parts in order to play HoI2, I don't think you will find any HoI fans suggesting picking HoI1 over HoI2. Because all that was wrong with HoI1, is at least fixed finally in HoI2.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Before you do anything, my preview of Making History: The Calm and The Storm will be up soon. That may be your ticket.

Comment

I knew I'd find Aries here, just like flies to honey . He's right though, I enjoyed the HOI series but the first one is buggy and even with ALL of the patches installed still has problems. You should be able to play HOI2 Vanilla or Doomsday on your computer no matter how old it is. I still play on my 3 yr. old laptop which rates in at 1.2 Gz and 512 RAM. I'd pick up Doomsday, great game!!
          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Do the Doomsday version. The best of the 3 and not that much more system intensive than the first one.

Comment

All the answers here are very good. HOI was OK but was the first
              attempt at the WW2 era. HOI2 was much better (learned from mistakes)
              and is a great game. HOI2: Doomsday is a stand alone sequal to HOI2
              and has even more stuff to play with. I have all 3 of them and have played
              them all many times. The only negative I can see with the HOI series is
              that the fighting platforms (ships, planes, tanks) are generic in nature.
              That is, a level one ship has the same stuff no matter the nationality.
              They are different in ability only with the type of research you perform
              which was greatly improved in the latter games....

JIM
              If you're not taking losses, you're not doing enough.
              RAdm. Kelly Turner, USN

www.fairtax.org

Comment

Don't waste even $5 on the original HOI... HOI2 fixed just about everything that was wrong with the first one. Doomsday adds some espionage elements that weren't there with either.
                If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

HOI was severely flawed in its modeling of air and sea interdiction leading to lots of silly game play. In was quite possible right after the commencement of hostilities with Japan to send in a force to occupy the Bonin Islands and start bombing the heck out of Japan. Tech was overly detailed. Doomsday is a fair game although the production capacity of the US has been stilted proportional to Japan and Germany just to make it more of a game.
                  Boston Strong!

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
                    I hate HoI, but that's me.

I think you either want to get HoI2, or just find another game.

HoI was spit on a lot even by the fans of HoI.

If you actually liked Panzer General, and your real problem is you suffered a physical loss from damage etc, I can point you to web sites that give it away free. No, not the pirate route, the game is actually given away on more than a few locations.

If you want comparison, and you are looking for global grand strategy. Consider investigating Gary Grigsby's World at War, A World Divided. Major difference, is HoI is RTS, and GGWaW AWD is turn using.

If you are forced, you might consider new computer parts in order to play HoI2, I don't think you will find any HoI fans suggesting picking HoI1 over HoI2. Because all that was wrong with HoI1, is at least fixed finally in HoI2.
                    If you could give me the names of those websites which give Panzer General away for free, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                      I knew I'd find Aries here, just like flies to honey . He's right though, I enjoyed the HOI series but the first one is buggy and even with ALL of the patches installed still has problems. You should be able to play HOI2 Vanilla or Doomsday on your computer no matter how old it is. I still play on my 3 yr. old laptop which rates in at 1.2 Gz and 512 RAM. I'd pick up Doomsday, great game!!
                      Thanks freightshaker, but I'm talking like a 300 mhz processor in this computer. I'll look into Doomsday though.

Comment

Doomsday is far-and-away the best of the three, and it comes with HoI2 (It's a stand-alone expansion). You also get a WWII becomes WWIII style White Star/Red Star scenario. Ever wanted to join up with Patton and stomp the Reds after Berlin? Now's your chance! I picked up HoI2 Doomsday about 2 months ago, new for $29.95 at EB Games in Canada.

The original HoI had the 2nd worst AI I've ever seen... (And that's really saying something).
                        "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X