X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FAdmiral View Post
    It looks to me like none of you have ever played the multiplayer
    side of CIV4. . . .
    Sorry, it's against my religion. I almost never play games against real people anymore; I'm strictly a solo gamer.

I did start a hotseat game with my wife once--the two of us as allies against some AI players. One or both of us got bored, I guess; we never got around to finishing the game.

She said something one day that partly explains: "I've been extraverting all day at work. The last thing I want to do when I get home is interact with people. I just want to lose myself in a game, have fun, and forget the rest of the world for a while."

Me, I also have a problem with conflict/competition. I'm sensitive about it and can't help but take it way too seriously. I can't stand losing, but I really don't like beating anybody else either. So I'm better off in solo games, which are more like puzzles. (I still get frustrated, but I only have myself to take it out on.)
    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

From Pat.

"Me, I also have a problem with conflict/competition. I'm sensitive about it and can't help but take it way too seriously. I can't stand losing, but I really don't like beating anybody else either. So I'm better off in solo games, which are more like puzzles. (I still get frustrated, but I only have myself to take it out on.)"

I suppose my edge, is while I like to win, and I think losing totally sucks, I am not a bad loser, and I try to limit my joy when I win. But either way, it's a game. "Ok so I lost, lets get to the next game so I can win".

My friends and I, we can all recognise a win when we see it. We know the game. I have conceded games of Civ plenty of times. The writing on the wall is usually plain enough.

Better to just accept defeat so you can have at it again, and see if you learned from the previous experiences.

For instance, I have learned on certain maps, if you get the great wall, with enough barbarians in play, the others will be eating your dust. But I have also made a buddy watch, as he had it easy, while all my men became dangerously experienced chopping up hoardes of barbarian training targets It's all in how you use what you are given.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

My latest Civ IV game

Last night after supper, I thought I'd just start a new Civ IV game -- play a few turns, then save and go do something else till bedtime. But as usual, I was soon hooked; I didn't stop till the game was over and I'd deprived myself of a couple hours' sleep.

I randomly drew Rome and played on a normal-sized map. Randomized terrain type, and it looks like it came up continents (though they were the weirdest-shaped continents I've seen).

This time my expansion went swimmingly. Bumped up against Egypt, but I held her back and claimed plenty of territory for myself.

I focused on religions, as I'm wont to do. Founded three of 'em and started sending missionaries everywhere. Then, when it became possible, I switched to Free Religion, since all my cities had multiple religions. My neighbor, Egypt, picked up Confucianism from me, but she later founded Islam and switched to that.

Basically, the game was a cakewalk. There was next to no military action. Fairly early in the game, a barbarian axeman took over my capital, Rome. That was aggravating, but I marched a praetorian over and took it back a couple turns later. Then, late in the game, the Aztecs (who seem to be the most belligerent race in the game) declared war on me and took an outlying city; but again, I took it back and wiped out the invaders in a few turns.

The rest was uneventful. I built and researched and stayed ahead of all the other players, and I finally won a space-race victory in 2017.

Looking back at it, I'm thinking it was a very boring game. But while I was playing it, I was happy enough; I was glad to be left alone for a change instead of having my hard-earned civilization assaulted by enemies at every turn. Sometimes it's nice to be able to just build and not have to fight.
        --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Some games, like Civ, can often be best thought of like Lego. It's a doodle of a game, you aren't supposed to fret over it too much. Just have fun playing it.

Remember, Civ is hardly realistic. If 1 swordsman or a hundred attacks a modern tank unit, they ALL die Swordsman simply ain't going to kill a modern armour unit EVER. If the tank runs out of ammo, it just drives away. And if the swordsman even think they are going to harm helicopters hehe.

In a fight between a battleship and a wooden boat, well heck the battleship can just run over them for the most part. But even the minor AA arnament can take em out.

So remember, Civ is just for laughs.
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
            Some games, like Civ, can often be best thought of like Lego. It's a doodle of a game, you aren't supposed to fret over it too much. Just have fun playing it.

Remember, Civ is hardly realistic. If 1 swordsman or a hundred attacks a modern tank unit, they ALL die Swordsman simply ain't going to kill a modern armour unit EVER. If the tank runs out of ammo, it just drives away.
            However . . . that reminds me of a true story I read about a clash between Italian armor and Ethiopian swordsmen early in WWII. IIRC, the Ethiopians would leap onto the tank, knock on the hatch (and probably shout something in Italian), then whack off the head that popped up. The swordsmen defeated four or five tanks that way, as I recall.

And if the swordsman even think they are going to harm helicopters hehe.

In a fight between a battleship and a wooden boat, well heck the battleship can just run over them for the most part. But even the minor AA arnament can take em out.

So remember, Civ is just for laughs.
            Yeah, that's true. And yet . . . (I'm always ready with an "OTOH"), it requires a pretty big time investment, and you have to put some serious thought and work into it if you ever want to be able to win on the higher levels. So, while it can be just for laughs, it can also be treated as a lifelong study, the way some people approach games like chess and bridge.

Be that as it may, though, Civ IV is ludicrous as history or military science. Real life just doesn't work that way.
            --Patrick Carroll

Comment

Anyone up for a game?
              Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X