Civ IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ IV

OK I have been playing for over 2 months now. I can win at warlord but when I move to noble I am toast. It seems the AI surpasses me and attacks me at perfectly the right time. Anybody care to offer this newbie any strategy hints? I build wonders as much as I can, but where i get outclassed is in the tech department. I mostly play as Napoleon.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

What do you do as far as research and commerce is concerned?

I usually keep research as high as possible (as long as my revenue is positive), and I usually do pretty well in techs.
    "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
    - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
    - Winston Churchill

Comment

Well I build libraries, marketplaces, harbours etc... but if I spend too much time on my economy, I lag in the military and get attacked and overun quite quickly. What wonders are crucials?

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
        Well I build libraries, marketplaces, harbours etc... but if I spend too much time on my economy, I lag in the military and get attacked and overun quite quickly. What wonders are crucials?
        Sorry, I meant your percentage of income spent on research (and what is left over goes to commerce). The percentage in the upper-left hand corner. I keep mine as high as possible, but I know some people (Overseer IIRC) lowers his research right off the bat.

I don't concentrate on wonders too much. I should build more of them. I like to get The Pyramids (world wonder) before everyone else. The Oracle (national wonder) is a must.
        "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
        - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
        - Winston Churchill

Comment

depends who you go - the French UU is not that good, coming when it does.

I play and win (mostly) on Prince. Remember to tech trade, and to get a religion asap - religion = money, and diplomatic security if you can conevert others to your cause. Unless you go one of the civs that starst with Mysticism, you'll most likely be stuck waiting for a religion to spread to you.

for the most part, I chop rush everything in the early game - a Financial Civ makes life a lot easier - try Catherine (Russians), as her traits make the game much easier, and the Cossack's not too shabby as a UU.

Bronze-working is the most important early tech, as it allows you to chop forrests - and that's where you can overcome the AI's early advantages. If possible, go for archers, as they'll be around for a long time. Normally I get settle, chop rush a worker, chop rush an archer, chop rush settler, repeat at each new city. Let's me have about 5-6 good cities, depending on number of AI and map size.

but chop rush - it's the winning strategy - forget the unhelathiness - an aqueduct overcomes it. The once you've chopped down all the forrests in your area, chop down some more in other peoples you still get hammers for it. Then start building cottages - they take ages to turn into towns, so start em early. The watch the money roll in as ypou towns mature and you go to something like Liberalism, and Free Speech

tech trading also has the added bonus of earning lots of cash, as well as helping relations with people. Most games I won't have to fight at all - I'll either buy the opposition off, or pay someone else to fight them for me - different in MP but against the AI it's okay
          Now listening too;
          - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

OK I'll try that strategy this week and I'll play as Catherine. I also try to get a religion early and succeed about 50% of the time. Chop rush it is then....

Comment

I have found, making too many cities too earlier seems a negative. Seems to lead to too many support expenses too soon. I am probably not playing a good enough economy game though.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

nope, lotsa cities = bad thing, unless you have the Organised trait.

the upkeep is harsh

I normally stop expanding when I hit 5-6 cities, then just build them up - one as a research city, one as an armoury, one as a GP farm, and the others as cottage/mines moneyearners.
                Now listening too;

Comment

I managed to finish 2nd as Catherine at the Noble setting. Apparently I displayed leadership like Dan Quayle. Not being too versed in the US politics, I assume that isn't good.

Comment

I prefer Mao Zedong as China. How can I succeed?
                    I also follow the city building path of 5-6 and then stop. My research is always at 80% and culture at 10% to conserve wealth. My armies are always weak.
                    Alliances With The Powerful Are Never To Be Trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov
                      nope, lotsa cities = bad thing, unless you have the Organised trait.

the upkeep is harsh

I normally stop expanding when I hit 5-6 cities, then just build them up - one as a research city, one as an armoury, one as a GP farm, and the others as cottage/mines moneyearners.
                      Hi there,

Thanks for this tip. We just got it at Christmas and my son and I are each still in our first game. My old tactic in Civ II (not a Civ III fan) is to build buttloads of cities, but (1) it's hard to do in Civ IV since they have to be so far apart and (2) I suspect your plan is right.
                      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                      http://www.mormon.org
                      http://www.sca.org
                      http://www.scv.org/
                      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

btw - the AI is daft in the sense that when you ask for money from a tech trade (a quick way to get rich in some games), it will generally give you all it's gold.

so a for a (very) cheap way to play the game, build up your diplomatic relationships by first giving the AI some money as a gift, and then charge him for a miscellaneous tech. You get the relationship boost for giving him/her a gift, and another for trading techs.

non violence can be a pretty boring way to play, but it can also be very exciting playing Cardinal Richelieu
                        Now listening too;

Comment

Originally posted by Janos
                          Hi there,

Thanks for this tip. We just got it at Christmas and my son and I are each still in our first game. My old tactic in Civ II (not a Civ III fan) is to build buttloads of cities, but (1) it's hard to do in Civ IV since they have to be so far apart and (2) I suspect your plan is right.
                          Yes, in Civ IV you should not try to build as many cities as you can like in Civ III. I was reading the book that came with the game and they said that they were trying to get away from that strategy. Unfortunately for me, my computer has gone down and I have not even been able to play. I must get that blasted computer up and running again. When I do, and after I have played for a while I will come back here and post more.

Comment

Civ 4...

Yah...i remeber this one really good game I played...the terrain was all splotchy....and it lagged.....and it crashed when i built stonehenge....and then it wouldnt work when i rebooted it....yah...good times...ha ha...good times...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I HATE THAT PIECE OF CRAP!
                            Carthaginian Soldier, Gisgo: Commander, the Romans have fielded more than 80,000 men!
                            Hannibal: Yes, my friend, and the one thing more amazing than that is that amongst those 80,000 men, not one of them is called Gisgo.
                            -at Cannae

Comment

Hmm, definitely a satisfied customer

For your next purchase, might I suggest Hearts of Iron (oh you'll love this gem).

Yes we know, the game had a rough start. Have you considered trying the patches for it yet?
                              Life is change. Built models for decades.
                              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X