X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Game Review - Battles in Italy.

Review by Jim Cobb. Discuss it here!

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

I tried the Demo and just couldn't seem to get into it. I'm not sure if it was the interface layout or the unit information detail level. One thing I was impressed by though is that for a hex based game the graphics are very well done, especially the terrain. I'd like to hear more from those who actually have and are playing it.
    [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Originally posted by Double Deuce
      I tried the Demo and just couldn't seem to get into it. I'm not sure if it was the interface layout or the unit information detail level. One thing I was impressed by though is that for a hex based game the graphics are very well done, especially the terrain. I'd like to hear more from those who actually have and are playing it.
      The funny thing is this, many who play them (BiN and BiI) are of the opinion that they are so much superior to other clearly hex based board game looking computer wargames.

Tiller's creations for instance are oft considered less interface friendly in comparison.
      TOAW can to some seem like a greater workload by comparison.

I have all of the above though, and in the final analysis, a person simply has to play them for a time to get that comfortable feel. This is a good example where a demo has a definite finite potential for return on investment.

5 minutes with BiI is the same as none in most cases I would have to assume. And even fussing all day with it, might not really be enough.
      Whereas, I would expect a lot of the FPS genre can be somewhat self evident what it's like in under a day's investigation.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I bought it, but it'll go into the never played box.

WW2, but made by an Aussie company -> reason enough for buying
        Now listening too;
        - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov
          I bought it, but it'll go into the never played box.
          Why? Care to Elaborate?

Comment

I found the series lacking in something. Options maybe? I love the PC series, with the Volcano graphic mods it looks great aswell. Also the system gives the player more todo than the "Battles in..." series.

However I thought the presentation of the game impressive. Loved the unit symbol touch.

After reading the Wargamer review of AGW I may purchse after some patch's have arrived.
            Lesliesplace forum

Leslies place. Come on in and enjoy the company of a few good people.

Comment

Understandable. One thing the PzC series has that is missing in DB is short scenarios.

Comment

My wargaming background is the classic background of maps, hexes counters and dice.

A typical flaw of board games is that you need to count manually the attack and defence values of stacks. You might play a beautiful game and initiate wonderful strategy and tactics. But a simple counting error could leave a great player in a weak position.

I constantly argue that wargamers ought to make use of computing to make better wargames. This series has achieved that.

You want to know the total defence factors in all your stacks across the map? Hit a short-cut key and find out!

You want to know the location of the nearest engineer unit hit a short-cut key and find out!

There are many variables in the game and the good players make use of each and every variable to play well.

But the great strength is that there are hot-keys to find each piece of information.

In this way this series stands out from any other. There is lots of information required to make decisions but each piece can be found by a hot-key.

This series has taken advantage of computers to make wargaming better!

I am a keen fan of this series. Its a "must have" for all wargamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cobb
                  Why? Care to Elaborate?
                  the era doesn't hold my interest - plus I don't like the "dice" idea, and for the most part the Battles series look like slugfests (which is because of the era)

The only reason I bought it was to support Australian companies, as there are some good 'uns, and if they stick around long enough I may see a modern warfare game that I like

for the same reason, I'll buy Airborne Assault:COTA, but I doubt I'll ever play it
                  Now listening too;

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov
                    the era doesn't hold my interest - plus I don't like the "dice" idea, and for the most part the Battles series look like slugfests (which is because of the era)

The only reason I bought it was to support Australian companies, as there are some good 'uns, and if they stick around long enough I may see a modern warfare game that I like

for the same reason, I'll buy Airborne Assault:COTA, but I doubt I'll ever play it
                    Ivan, NEVER buy a game "just to support a company". Why, because if they are not making what you want, and you buy what you didn't actually want, you have just attempted to shoot yourself in the foot essentially speaking. They'll only get the wrong signal, and make more of what you didn't want

Joe, I like the computer's ability to wipe out work load too. Sadly though, too much aid has I think eroded the ability of too many wargamers that might not have actual board gaming in their past. As a result, too many get a game, then brutally slag it as "dull" or "graphically ugly" and never get to see the potential great game under the hood.

Measured against today's computer wargames, Squad Leader, Third Reich and Panzerblitz if released today for the first time would be rated worthless crap. Which is interesting considering those three games are industry giants.

All that computer aid is a sword that cuts both ways unfortunately. Some think we no longer need board games. But, we would not even have computer wargames without them having been there in the first place. And all the guys making the computer wargames today, usually only seem to make good ones if they have a board gaming past. I have seen some games released, and I can't picture the guy having ever been a board gaming wargamer originally.

Comment

Les, nah - it's more than just waiting for them to come out with something I like - it's the whole patriotic Oz thing. The thing I love about both companies (Panther and SSG) is the fact that they're willing to try something new. Innovation is something I'd prefer to see more of, so when I able, I like to support the guys who are taking the risks.

it's like collecting models I suppose

It's not just Aussie developers either - I try to support most small comapnies trying to do some good things - sometimes you get burnt, but most of the time you have a nice little product
                      Now listening too;

Comment

The one thing I always find strange on these type of discussions is people often claiming they are looking for a new take/improvement/series/etc. Yet when one comes out it appears they are not prepared to put in much effort to learn the interface/game system. I am not normally guilty of this myself but am so with Anglo German War, the clunkyness of the interface (compared to what I am used to), for the time being, has put me off learning what I have little doubt is a very good game.

It is as if we get so comfortable with a particular series we enjoy, that we just do not put in the effort to learning a new series, yet we are always wanting something new/different. The strange thing is once learnt they play very easily and you will wonder what you ever found so difficult about the interface or game system of that particular title.

I am a huge fan of the HPS ACW/Panzer series have not tried the Napoleonic yet but is just a matter of time. I am also a huge fan of the SSG series and like the new HPS War in Europe "First Blitzkrieg" (another title that has taken a different approach and received some unfair flak). As for the SSG DB series, believe me, put a bit of effort into learning it, and you will find an absolute gem you will keep coming back to.

Comment

to be perfectly honest, the main reason I don't play a lot of new games is because I don't really like WW2 all that much. I'll buy them so companies keep making wargames, and occasionally, by talking with the developer you get a modern warfare version come out (case in point, the HttR modern DDT)

Arckon; I have RGW from when Ron was still selling that out of his house haven't got AGW yet, mainly cause of the era.
                          Now listening too;

Comment

I'm reading a "demo" is available. Where can I get it if so? Also, Is the game historically accurate as far as the OOB is concerned? 1st Canadian Division is there?
                            http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

I'm not finding a BiI demo, but there is a BiN demo available from the usual locations.

While it is true there is much improved with BiI, the BiN game is sufficiently similar to let you know what most of the experience will be like if that is adequate to the task.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X