Civilization IV Review at Armchair General

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization IV Review at Armchair General

Get the goods on the latest game in the Civ series. After completely wearing out my Civ II disc, but not playing a single second of Civ III, I think I am ready to get back into it. Just what I need, something else to suck away my scant free time.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...?p=2408&page=1
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

good review. my favorite part of the review;

"There are unit animations for combat, although they aren’t anything to get too excited about, unless you happen to be watching that spearman poke your tank and make it blow up. I suppose that could be considered exciting."
    lol, too freaking funny. lucky for me that didnt happen.

i really like Civ IV. i think it's a great improvement over Civ III, which i enjoyed a lot too.

the only problem i've been having is that the game preformance gets really bad later in the game, which is probably the memory leak mentioned in the review. after loading a saved game, the game just slows to about 1fps. i have to alt-tab out a couple of times to get the game to run smoothly.

a really cool feature is the ability to play your mp3's instead of the original soundtrack. and, the game will recognize sub-folders. so if you have a folder called music, and five folders within that one, the game will randomly play all songs.
    Last edited by jayedub7423; 15 Nov 05, 20:04.

Comment

I have yet to play any of these but this one has caught my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by CJMello
        I have yet to play any of these but this one has caught my eye.

Your not the only one. The game looks AWESOME!!!
        "Don't Push It."- RAMBO

Comment

Excellent review James.

If anyone here wants to join Overseer and I in some multiplayer Civ 4, drop us a note.
          "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
          - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
          - Winston Churchill

Comment

I'm going to pick this game up as soon as I can get the horse cart over to Best Buy. While I hope to avoid the divorce papers situation, I do plan on getting some serious saddle time in so I might one day be good enough to play multiplayer against some of you cats.
            Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Nah we're not that good or anything. Well, Ross isn't at least... he needed me to pull him out of the gutter in our game.
              “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Oh and as a side note, unlike HoI2, I think we can expect relatively stable multiplayer out of this one. Ross and I haven't had any significant problems yet, so hopefully with the addition of another player or two or three that'll continue.
                “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
                  Nah we're not that good or anything. Well, Ross isn't at least... he needed me to pull him out of the gutter in our game.
                  Haha...the truth hurts sometimes . Although, as my excuse, I had horrible city placement - I have learned my lesson.

Reinforcing what James said, it really is stable. In HoI2, it is "see you back in the lobby!" when attempting to start a game....I don't think we have had one problem yet with Civ 4. And simultaneous turns work well. You can look at cities and advisors, and I think even assign new orders, if you are waiting for your opponent to finish.
                  "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
                  - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
                  - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gobeavs
                    Haha...the truth hurts sometimes . Although, as my excuse, I had horrible city placement - I have learned my lesson.

Reinforcing what James said, it really is stable. In HoI2, it is "see you back in the lobby!" when attempting to start a game....I don't think we have had one problem yet with Civ 4. And simultaneous turns work well. You can look at cities and advisors, and I think even assign new orders, if you are waiting for your opponent to finish.
                    Indeed, there's been a number of times I've actually changed where my units were heading while waiting for your turn to finish (that actually wasn't a bust on Ross that time, there were also many times where he was waiting on me ).

Comment

A fine review, My only nit would be the lack of an index in so large a manual. I had to skim to page 155 to learn that trade routes are now automatic. As an old Civ player, I kept looking for the way users set them up.

Comment

I'm probably the only one on the planet that feels this way, but I find the new graphics very cartoony, and horribly cluttered...to the point of not wanting to play the game. The most I've lasted for a Civ 4 game is about 25 minutes. One night, I went back to Civ 3, and played it for 4 hours. Heresy, I know, but what can I say?
                        Last edited by madDdog67; 16 Nov 05, 12:23.
                        Is cuma a mhairimse ach lo 'gus oiche, ach clu 'gus cail ar m'eachtai.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cobb
                          A fine review, My only nit would be the lack of an index in so large a manual. I had to skim to page 155 to learn that trade routes are now automatic. As an old Civ player, I kept looking for the way users set them up.
                          That's true, for most things you have to find the ToC works fine, but that would be something a little more difficult to find.

Originally posted by madDdog67
                          I'm probably the only one on the planet that feels this way, but I find the new graphics very cartoony, and horribly cluttered...to the point of not wanting to play the game. The most I've lasted for a Civ 4 game is about 25 minutes. One night, I went back to Civ 3, and played it for 4 hours. Heresy, I know, but what can I say?
                          To be honest, I'm used to not paying the graphics any attention in a Civ game, so any complaint about them I don't really notice. I look more that they show me everything I need to know and that they don't look like the 2d sprites of Civ II any more. And I actually think that the terrain, city, and infrastructure stuff on the map looks really good (watching your city expand on the real map as build things, and watching the suburbs build up).

Comment

The two comments that seem to rule with people I know that have played the game, is the game looks good, and the game will not settle for anything less than a current powerful computer.

I have seen enough of the game to know I would like it.
                            And considering my computer is waaaaaay outside the range of this game's demands I can just forget it

I will be ready to play this probably around 2007.
                            Life is change. Built models for decades.
                            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

The problems with the game in terms of powerful computer will hopefully be resolved somewhat come the first patch. A lot of the issue comes with a memory leak that takes it toll in later play, although I've never had a problem in the least, many people, even with better computers, have.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X