No announcement yet.

What are the top turn-based games now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the top turn-based games now?

My collection of turn-based strategy games is getting old. I still have Norm Koger's Operational Art of War and Campaign Series. This stuff is like 18 years old.

I heard Grisby's War in the East is great.

What else is there worth playing?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
    My collection of turn-based strategy games is getting old. I still have Norm Koger's Operational Art of War and Campaign Series. This stuff is like 18 years old.

I heard Grisby's War in the East is great.

What else is there worth playing?
    TOAW IV...well, in beta right now. Great so far.
    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
      TOAW IV...well, in beta right now. Great so far.
      Nothing else? There must be 100 games at Matrix and Shrapnel. All of them crap?

Comment

Dominions 4. A game that is for the best and brightest.

When someone beat my Lanka blessed with blood vengeance and quickness...

When someone beat my Niefeljarls with blood vengeance and regeneration.

It's not for the lesser beings...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25..._of_Ascension/
        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Nothing else? There must be 100 games at Matrix and Shrapnel. All of them crap?
          I find the prices way too high in general, so I don't really know. Panzer Corps gold was on sale a bit ago, so I bought that. Was ok, but also old. Brother against Brother was interesting, but a bit lacking in the end.

The D-Day sale is on so I guess take a risk? Strategic Command has been getting good reviews, haven't tried myself.
          Wisdom is personal

Comment

I still play Steel Panzers - WWII and Modern Combat.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

OMG! Steel Panzers? That game was soooo... awful!

I think the funniest moment in it was when I was playing a scenario with naval fire support and a 12" battleship round "bounced off" a Sturmgeschultz... That's like claiming a supersonic VW beetle would bounce off a Ford F350 pickup truck and do nothing to it... Or a meteor striking a house would simply ricochet off it...

It was absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

I think the funniest moment in it was when I was playing a scenario with naval fire support and a 12" battleship round "bounced off" a Sturmgeschultz... That's like claiming a supersonic VW beetle would bounce off a Ford F350 pickup truck and do nothing to it... Or a meteor striking a house would simply ricochet off it...

It was absurd.

I once had someone argue in Panzerblitz that a pushcart was a vehicle and thus I had to stop moving my PzIV when I got to it. When I tried to say that I would shoot it he said that I couldnít shoot it since I had moved so I had to stop out in the open and wait until the next turn to do anything about it. Of course on his turn he called in off board artillery and destroyed my tank. Not surprising I havenít played the game since.
                Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

It was absurd.
                  Dude, Steel Panthers is timeless. Nobody has managed to come up with a better product in a quarter of a century...

You have to give it a try. Granted, graphics look 25 years old because they are, but this game is epic.

What I like about it best is how you can build your own order of battle and then use combined arms tactics with units working together.

Also, the dynamic random campaign model is superb. I'm a campaign player, that's what I like about games, because I like to nurture my force and watch it grown and improve over time.

Shrapnel Games has winSPWW2 and winSPMBT to download. You should give it a try. The win prefix indicates they made it compatible with Windows 10.
                  Last edited by MonsterZero; 15 Jun 17, 11:09.

Comment

Try a download of PanzerGeneral Forever. I still play it.

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I'm having fun with Strategic Command Europe. Not perfect, but still fun. Server based Multiplayer saves it as the AI is not that good. It's on steam and matrix/slitherine.

Comment

It was absurd.
                        I have to agree that the default realism settings leave a lot to be desired, but that is countered by the player's ability to edit all aspects of the game, including the lethality of that 12" round.

I still play battles and scenarios that I create or modify, and I always go through the editing process to make it as realistic as I can, right down to squad level. For example, I reuse to accept a MG crew that cannot keep up with the rest of the squad. The entire squad has the same movement parameters because that's the way it works in the real world.

Even then, I still can't kill a Maus without cheating.

Comment

Dude, Steel Panthers is timeless. Nobody has managed to come up with a better product in a quarter of a century...

You have to give it a try. Granted, graphics look 25 years old because they are, but this game is epic.

What I like about it best is how you can build your own order of battle and then use combined arms tactics with units working together.

Also, the dynamic random campaign model is superb. I'm a campaign player, that's what I like about games, because I like to nurture my force and watch it grown and improve over time.

Shrapnel Games has winSPWW2 and winSPMBT to download. You should give it a try. The win prefix indicates they made it compatible with Windows 10.
                          Blitzkrieg was very good that was, as well, although it played out in real time. I miss that game a lot.

Comment

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4278897

Steel Panthers remake in the works...or will be once coders are found.
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

I have a number of turn based strategy games from Matrix website of the newer generation style gaming systems. I find the AI plenty of entertainment for myself. I never have time or desire for gameplay with others. I have them mainly due to my interest in history and geography. They are all serious historical materials but naturally they are not perfectly historical in playing out in gameplay. They are great games.

It is difficult to give a list of rankings of most favored to least favored.

I have the following: Grisby's War in the East, Espana 1936, Rise of Prussia Gold, War in Pacific (Old version), Wars of Napolen, Revolution Under Siege Gold, Thirty Year War, (American) Civil War I and II. I play all of these off and on as it pleases me and fits my mood. I keep them current on updates from the website.

At the moment, I am back on War in the East maybe because I am studying/reading subject matter involving the battles around Smolenki, Russia 1941. Its only a part time entertainment kick for a history nerd.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X