Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some good WW2 games

Hello

So, I've been trying to find the "perfect" wargame for WW2 and I'm now realizing there is no such thing. I was trying to use Men of War Assault Squad 2 because of the editor (want the ability to make my own battles) and all the mods (every nation involved in WW2 and almost every tank and gun used by each country)...but, I don't like the "arcade" feel to is and quite frankly, the GEM editor is touchy and seldom works properly.

So, here I am with a quandry. I want to come up with a game list for the following time frames of WW2.

Germany vs Poland/Low Countries
    North Africa 1940-1943
    German invasion of Russia 41-43
    Russian counter offensives to Berlin 43-45
    Pacific Theater 1942-1945
    Allied Invasion of Sicily/Italy
    D-Day to Berlin

If I could find games that cover these area that would awesome, but I don't have the knowledge of this gaming genre like most of you have. I'm an old school RPG'er/MMO'er who has a love offair with WW2 and I'm moving on from RPG to WW2.

For a point of reference to what I'm looking for in a game I really like the looks of Achtung Panzer Operation Star

I'd also like the Close Combat series of games. They seem historical accurate.

Anyways, if anyone would care to chime in and present some example games that might fit into the above theaters, you have my deepest thanks!

I will say I do want games that have editors where I can create my own battles. If a game is just pre-built scenarios/campaigns, I would pass on those.

Again, thank you so much for reading this and helping me out.

Try "WINSPWW2" (shrapnelgames.com), Steel Panthers successor, you can't go wrong with that one, you can try the free version to see if fits your shoe:

Comment

This should tickle your fancy..

The Campaign Series

Jason Petho
      Petho Cartography

Campaign Series Legion

NEW RELEASE!
      Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985

Comment

Tiller has detailed games on everything on your wishlist except the Pacific Theater and the fall of Berlin. You really should take a look at his Panzer Campaigns series, which you can find at HPS and JTS.

Come to think of it, Tiller's Squad Battles series has a game on the Pacific
        (which has been used as the basis for some interesting modern mods such as Africa at War).

Comment

[Double Post]

Comment

War In The Pacific "Admiral's Edition" for the Pacific war. Insane level of detail.

Comment

Speaking of Tiller, he just released Battles of Normandy in the Squad Battles series.

Jim Cobb

Comment

strategy and tactics for mobile. i got the ussr vs usa one and it is very good. they also have a ww2 one. you can perform very complex battlefield maneuvers and it has a good campaign. towards the end the missions get pretty much impossible. world conqueror 3 is also a very good one. you have the ability to be in total control over an entire nation at war against the world

Comment

Originally posted by acctingman View Post
                  Hello

So, I've been trying to find the "perfect" wargame for WW2 and I'm now realizing there is no such thing. I was trying to use Men of War Assault Squad 2 because of the editor (want the ability to make my own battles) and all the mods (every nation involved in WW2 and almost every tank and gun used by each country)...but, I don't like the "arcade" feel to is and quite frankly, the GEM editor is touchy and seldom works properly.

So, here I am with a quandry. I want to come up with a game list for the following time frames of WW2.

Germany vs Poland/Low Countries
                  North Africa 1940-1943
                  German invasion of Russia 41-43
                  Russian counter offensives to Berlin 43-45
                  Pacific Theater 1942-1945
                  Allied Invasion of Sicily/Italy
                  D-Day to Berlin

If I could find games that cover these area that would awesome, but I don't have the knowledge of this gaming genre like most of you have. I'm an old school RPG'er/MMO'er who has a love offair with WW2 and I'm moving on from RPG to WW2.

For a point of reference to what I'm looking for in a game I really like the looks of Achtung Panzer Operation Star

I'd also like the Close Combat series of games. They seem historical accurate.

Anyways, if anyone would care to chime in and present some example games that might fit into the above theaters, you have my deepest thanks!

I will say I do want games that have editors where I can create my own battles. If a game is just pre-built scenarios/campaigns, I would pass on those.

Again, thank you so much for reading this and helping me out.
                  Advanced Tactics Gold is extremely versatile.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X