Looking for a strategic turn based WWII game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a strategic turn based WWII game

What I really want is a game that covers the entire war not one that focuses on a particular area or consists of various campaigns. I want a game with a campaign that covers the whole war from beginning to end.

NOT hearts of Iron i've already played them

Turn Based!

I figure this is the best place to go for such advice

I'm a newbie to this wargame genre but I'm a huge fan of games with depth so I'll be willing to tackle any title.

A game sort of like hoi series but turn based hexes etc.

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by Etopp View Post
    What I really want is a game that covers the entire war not one that focuses on a particular area or consists of various campaigns. I want a game with a campaign that covers the whole war from beginning to end.

NOT hearts of Iron i've already played them

Turn Based!

I figure this is the best place to go for such advice

I'm a newbie to this wargame genre but I'm a huge fan of games with depth so I'll be willing to tackle any title.

A game sort of like hoi series but turn based hexes etc.

Thanks guys!
    It only covers the Pacific, but War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition is top notch. Covers the entire war with Japan with incredible depth. It takes a lot of time to invest (i have been playing a pbem game for over 2 years and just into 1944.) and it requires real forward planning. There is so much depth you won't miss the European theater.
    Кто там?
    Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
    Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
      It only covers the Pacific, but War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition is top notch. Covers the entire war with Japan with incredible depth. It takes a lot of time to invest (i have been playing a pbem game for over 2 years and just into 1944.) and it requires real forward planning. There is so much depth you won't miss the European theater.
      I've got this one right now, only yesterday but from what I understand this is an excellent suggestion. I am especially glad that this game was made, the Pacific is sadly ignored so often.

Since I have WITPAE I would like either a game covering the European theater or the whole war.

Matrix Games has just so many titles that I don't know where to start as a newcomer to the strategic wargame genre. I am familiar with the Ageod games as well as the Paradox Interactive titles. World War One: La Grande Guerre, Revolution Under Siege, AACW and AACW2, etc....

I also have Gary Grigsby's World at War but my concern is that there are few provinces so there isn't any room to maneuver with Poland being comprised of a single province e.g...

Commander: The Great War is a good title that I am enjoying, if there was a WWII equivalent in that general style that's what I am looking for. I don't think TOAOW III is going to be something I will get into right away that depth is pretty crushing for me right now.

Also I have Panzer Corps Collection, but I read that it is divided into several campaigns which is what turns me off like I said I am looking for one continuous campaign start to finish.

Comment

Time of Wrath covers the European and African areas. It is turn based and easy to get a handle on.
        "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
        -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Try Strategic Command series. Free demos available. Decent AI and good online opponents. Latest incarnation is Strategic Command: Assault on Democracy but there are versions focused only on european theater... (Or scenarios).
          I think it is what you are looking for

Comment

Time of Fury is the updated Time of Wrath, and with you having said TOAW III is a bit heavy for the moment (would've been my first suggestion), then I believe Time of Wrath is your best bet.

Strategic Warfare, Diplomacy, R&D (with updated graphics to denote the new models of Panzers etc), room to practice maneuver warfare - I think this game has all the depth you are looking for without overload.

This is a good stepping stone to work towards TOAW III.
            "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

ELUARD

World in Flames (Australian)
              or A World at War (Advanced Third Reich).
              VITPAE is a waste of time.

Comment

For the European and North African theaters only SPI's old wargame War in Europe has been redone on the computer.

There was a forum game or two run using it on this site I believe. So you should be able to get some idea of it.

Certainly less of a pill than War in the Pacific even though both games originated with the same boardgame company they are very different in time scale.
                "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
                Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X