New John Tiller System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New John Tiller System

"Battle of Kursk-Southern Front" represents a new system somewhere between Panzer Campaigns and Squad Battles. More later.

I'm listening...
    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
      I'm listening...
      It'll be awhile. I have many new games.

Comment

I have plenty of patience for a good game.
        "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
          I have plenty of patience for a good game.
          Wise man. Yet the words "new Tiller system" evoke a Pavlovian response towards my wallet. How long has it been since he came out with a new system? Quite some time.

Comment

Heck I play CS at least a few times a month. I'm reading up on the fighting in Norway and wouldn't you know it there are a few scenarios in that game

Comment

I copied this from http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Pa...kSouthern.html For all comparisons, read the designer's notes at the page.

Features

Game features include:

A game scale of 1 hex equal to 250 meters, 1 turn equal to 30 minutes, with platoon and section size units.
              60 Scenarios – covering all sizes and situations, including specialized versions for both head to head play and vs. the computer AI.
              The Master Map covers 102,000 hexes covering the area of the German attacks and the initial Soviet counterattacks. 45 sub maps are included.
              An Order of Battle with over 15,800 units from two Soviet Fronts and a German Army Group including units from Wehrmacht, SS, and Luftwaffe formations as well as Guards and regular Russian Army units.
              Unit component, Order-of-Battle and Scenario Editors which allow players to customize the game.
              Sub-map feature allowing any of the included maps to be "chopped" up into smaller segments for custom scenario creation.
              All new map graphics with a new visual style to improve height perception. Fortifications and other icons are integrated into the game map.
              Three different counter sets switchable in game including side on, top down and NATO symbols.
              All new images for unit art for both sides, including infantry, guns and vehicles.
              Exceptional Documentation including a 57 page 'Visual Order of Battle Guide', 23 page 'Situation Maps & Scenario Locations Maps' and 84 page 'Designer Notes & FAQ'.

Battles of Kursk – Southern Flank provides multiple play options including play against the computer AI, Play by E-mail (PBEM), LAN & Internet "live" play, and two player hot seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cobb View Post
                I copied this from http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Pa...kSouthern.html For all comparisons, read the designer's notes at the page.
                I've never played a John Tiller game but just looking at the page I'm already eager to try it. Did I miss a release date on there?
                I thanked him heartily for his report, remarking that the word 'alarm' was not to be found in the dictionary of a German officer.

Comment

It's released. Check out

http://john-tiller-software.myshopif...southern-flank

Older - but fine- Tiller games can be found at
                  http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/

Giving great support, many patches and updates can be found at:

http://www.hpssims.com/

under Panzer Campaigns, Squad Battles, Early American Wars and American Civil War series, not to mention his naval and modern series.

A great collection of his older games that just received a great update can be found at

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...ampaign.Series .

Try a couple out. If you're serious wargamer, you won't be disappointed. Don't expect a ton of glitz; just good, detailed history. Tiller does games for fun; he does simulations for the DoD to eat.
                  Last edited by Jim Cobb; 02 Mar 14, 20:41.

Comment

Wow. A bit overwhelming to look at all the products but very impressive. Is there any strategic/operational game that covers war in the late 19th century? Crimean/Schleswig-Holstien/Austrian/Franco-Prussian/Boer/etc.?
                    I thanked him heartily for his report, remarking that the word 'alarm' was not to be found in the dictionary of a German officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Der Sonderweg View Post
                      Wow. A bit overwhelming to look at all the products but very impressive. Is there any strategic/operational game that covers war in the late 19th century? Crimean/Schleswig-Holstien/Austrian/Franco-Prussian/Boer/etc.?
                      I wish! To my knowledge, there's no tactical or operational games devoted to that era. Operational Art of War and Age of Rifles have some scenarios for that period. Now AEOD's Pride of Nations has a 1870 grand strategic 1870 scenario but Pride of Nations isn't AGEOD's best effort. Paradox's Victoria II covers the period but the military part of the system isn't really what we want. Commander: The Great War has a divisional level add-on for the Franco-Prussian War.

I get really frustrated with this gap in gaming because I'm researching a long article on Schleswig-Holstein 1848-51 and 1864. However, if a game doesn't have Panzers or Bobby Lee, it doesn't sell that much.
                      Last edited by Jim Cobb; 02 Mar 14, 21:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cobb View Post
                        I wish! To my knowledge, there's no tactical or operational games devoted to that era. Operational Art of War and Age of Rifles have some scenarios for that period. Now AEOD's Pride of Nations has a 1870 grand strategic 1870 scenario but Pride of Nations isn't AGEOD's best effort. Paradox's Victoria II covers the period but the military part of the system isn't really what we want. Commander: The Great War has a divisional level add-on for the Franco-Prussian War.

I get really frustrated with this gap in gaming because I'm researching a long article on Schleswig-Holstein 1848-51 and 1864. However, if a game doesn't have Panzers or Bobby Lee, it doesn't sell that much.
                        I google'd Age of Rifles. Sounds promising, but I'll have to find where to get it. Thanks!

Comment

There's a Yahoo group devoted to it. It's old and you'll have to use something like DosBox. It's abandonware. You can get a set that will install on Win 7 & 8 on eBay for $29.95

More scenarios here:

http://wargamer.com/community/gamesd...lisher=&sort=2
                          Last edited by Jim Cobb; 02 Mar 14, 22:56.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Tiller's ACW games. I still play regularly with others through the ACWGC.

http://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/index.php
                            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X