Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrix Game's War in the Pacific, and my epic tale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Baztanz View Post
    Sounds like you have the combined fleet on the ropes now, keep up the pressure you are doing well.

So next time you do a AAR on this I would love to hear how you would go as the Jap, sounds like that would be a challenge.
    I can only imagine. I get upset just losing CVEs, which show up in Portland at the rate of 3 or more a month. Playing the Japanese, with the radically finite resources...
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• 16-30 April 1944

CBI Theater: China requires no real input from me.
      Burma was quiet. Air raids still frequent.

I have a CVL, BB and BC in the Indian Ocean.

New Guinea: I used the Aussie 1st Parachute Battalion and some DC-3s that weren’t busy to seize four islands north of Rabaul, all Japanese but ungarrisoned. These include New Hannover and Mussan islands. Besides tidying up my area, the latter two have great potential as air bases, being large enough to house B-29 bases. They may be too far south, but no point in passing up the opportunity.

The Central Pacific: After extensive prep of Tinian and suppression of Saipan (and the massive undertaking of moving my forward assault base to Guam), I launched an invasion of Tinian, which succeeded after three days of hard fighting. The Combined Fleet made multiple appearances during this period, and battles corkscrewed all around the islands, both air strikes and surface gunnery. I lost a BB to a sub (the BB was already damaged), but bagged a BB, a CVL and quite a few support vessels.

Other factors: I have 6 CVs at Pearl. The 5th floating dock is chugging slowly to the forward areas.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
      Allies 11,093 aircraft (+466), 1091 ships (+6); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 14,488 aircraft (+591) and 695 ships (+20), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Kirishima, Kongo, Mutsi, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Truk:
      1) Take Panape to secure east flank, Noleai to secure west flank. (DONE)
      2) In the Marianas take Guam, Rota, Tinian, Saipan, Pagan*, Agrihan*. (UNDERWAY)
      3) Secure Marcus Island to secure east supply route.
      4) In the Bonin Islands take Iwo Jima, Haha Jima, Chichi Jima.
      5) Take Daito Shoto to clear the line of my advance
      6) In the Okinawa islands take Nalta, Nago, Kume-Jima, Okin, Tobin, and Amani.

* = Added to the list as it turns out they could be a thorn in my side.

A point of interest is that up to this point the Japanese showed a minor victory based on points. At the start of this period, based on points, the game is a draw.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• 1-15 May 1944

Burma remains quiet-the IJA apparently does not want to take the offensive, and my supply lines won’t support anything but defense. Air raids still frequent.

New Guinea: Quiet.

The Central Pacific: The prep of Saipan continues apace, but extracting my invasion forces from Tinian has proved extremely difficult as the Combined Fleet continues to raid repeatedly. In the numerous actions during this period we bagged a BB/CV conversion and smaller vessels.

At Guam I have 3 CV, 8 CVL, 16 CVE, 10 BB, 1 BC.

Other factors: I have 6 CVs and 1 BB at Pearl.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
        Allies 11,439 aircraft (+346), 1094 ships (+3); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 14,488 aircraft (+330) and 707 ships (+12), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Mutsi, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Truk:
        2) In the Marianas take Guam, Rota, Tinian, Saipan, Pagan, Agrihan. (UNDERWAY)
        3) Secure Marcus Island to secure my east supply route.

Comment

• 16-31 May 1944

Burma remains quiet-the IJA apparently does not want to take the offensive, and my supply lines won’t support anything but defense. Air raids still frequent.

New Guinea: The US 32nd Infantry Division, which has been pursuing the IJA units which had laid siege to Port Moresby, has cornered the forces in Milne Bay.

The Central Pacific: The skirmishing with the IJN continues, complete with at least one sizeable surface engagement. A four-wave invasion force has landed at Saipan, supported by daily pounding from nearly a dozen squadrons of B-24s and naval bombardments. This is the largest fight to date.

At Guam I have 3 CV, 8 CVL, 16 CVE, 7 BB, 1 BC.

Other factors: I have 7 CVs and 1 BB at Pearl.
          The first B-29s arrived in the PTO, and two squadrons hit Tokyo on the 31st. Operation Godzilla is aimed at firebombing Tokyo and other key industrial centers. As yet, only Guam can support B-29s.

Allies 11,740 aircraft (+301), 1111 ships (+17); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 15,157 aircraft (+669) and 722 ships (+15), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsi, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Truk:

Comment

• 1-15 June 1944

New Guinea: The US 32ndInfantry Division took Milne Bay.

The Central Pacific: Saipan was taken on the 3rd, and cleared on the 7th. Pagan was invaded but the fighting is still underway. The Combined Fleet has been quiet in this period.

At Guam I have 3 CV, 8 CVL, 19 CVE, 7 BB, 1 BC.

Pearl Harbor (the strategic reserve): I have 7 CVs and 1 BB.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: As yet, only Guam can support B-29s. After the first couple raids on Tokyo I switched to firebomb attacks at night from a lower altitude. I now have four squadrons of B-29s in play.

Allies 11,925 aircraft (+185), 1123 ships (+12); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 15,476 aircraft (+319) and 727 ships (+5), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsi, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Truk:

Comment

• 16-30 June 1944

In Burma the IJA is advancing towards Prome. Lacking a decent supply flow, all I can do is conduct a fighting retreat.

New Guinea: The 32nd mopped up the remaining IJA units.

The Central Pacific: Pagan was taken after a short sharp fight, and Agrihan was promptly invaded and taken with forces intended as Pagan’s third wave. At this point the B-24s are working over Iwo Jima, but ground forces are scattered across four islands, disorganized, and tired, so regrouping is the order of the day.With the arrival of fresh units, I launched an invasion of Marcus Island.

The fifth floating dock has arrived at Guam safely.

At Guam I have 5 CV, 8 CVL, 14 CVE, 7 BB, 1 BC.

Pearl Harbor (the strategic reserve): I have 7 CVs and 2 BBs.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I now have eight squadrons of B-29s in service, making night firebomb raids. Tokyo reached a fire level of 176.

Allies 12,104 aircraft (+79), 1130 ships (+7); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 15,778 aircraft (+302) and 740 ships (+13), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsi, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Truk:
              2) In the Marianas take Guam, Rota, Tinian, Saipan, Pagan, Agrihan. (DONE)
              3) Secure Marcus Island to secure my east supply route. (UNDERWAY)
              5) Take Daito Shoto to clear the line of my advance.

Comment

• I am rethinking the next couple steps.

Taking Iwo is important-its air base would makeb my supply lines to Okinawa expensive. However, it has a limited air capacity and it will not serve as a full-fledged assault base as its size won't allow me to pre-position troops & dhips in the numbers I need.

Therefore I'm think of taking only Iwo of the bonin, and using it as a base for my recon planes and for emergency repairs.

Since Daito has no airfield, taling it will be postponed until after I take Okinawa.

So my modified plan would be:

4) In the Bonin Islands take Iwo Jima.
                5) In the Okinawa islands take Nalta, Nago, Kume-Jima, Okin, Tobin, and Amani.
                6) Take Daito Shoto to clear the line of supply.

I have attached two screenshots of the area. In Iwo Area 1, mainland Japan is 1 hex north off-screen. In #2, Guam, my amphib base, is two hexes SSW of Saipan, off-map.

Thoughts?
                Attached Files

Comment

• 1-15 July 1944

In Burma things were quiet.

The Central Pacific: Consolidation, rest, and repair. The B-24s are pounding Iwo. Manus island fell after a surprisingly tough fight.

I have moved my primary sub base to Guam. With the surplus air fields ‘behind the lines’ I have greatly increased my ASW patrols. The newly captured islands have widened the PBY coverage.

At Guam I have 6 CV, 8 CVL, 25 CVE, 9 BB, 1 BC.

Pearl Harbor (the strategic reserve): I have 7 CVs, one CVL, and 2 BBs.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I have eight squadrons of B-29s in use. Tokyo reached a fire level of 3064.

Allies 12,261 aircraft (+157), 1133 ships (+3); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 16,020 aircraft (+242) and 751 ships (+11), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Truk:
                  3) Take Marcus Island to secure my east supply route. (DONE)

I am still pondering the modification to my plan noted in the post above.
                  Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 15 Apr 13, 02:04.

Comment

• It seems you have so many ships and planes in field that you are going to have trouble parking them all up.
                    An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

• Originally posted by Baztanz View Post
                      It seems you have so many ships and planes in field that you are going to have trouble parking them all up.

Its one of those pleasant problems!

The reason my numbers of ships flutuates is that I only count those in service-the repair lines fill up fast once I start invadeing. That's why I value the floating drydocks so much-they've saved a lot of ships. The Prince of Wales just came out an extended repair, and both Iowa class have had major repairs.

Comment

• I think you started see the limitation of the AI about 6-9 months ago. There have been a number of potential counter moves by the Japanese but it is sitting still and only reacting to your moves.
                        The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                          I think you started see the limitation of the AI about 6-9 months ago. There have been a number of potential counter moves by the Japanese but it is sitting still and only reacting to your moves.
                          Hogwash.

Nimitz himself couldn't have effectively countered the brilliance I have displayed!

Its considerably better than the earlier games; its given me some very bad moments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                            Hogwash.

Nimitz himself couldn't have effectively countered the brilliance I have displayed!

Its considerably better than the earlier games; its given me some very bad moments.
                            Nelson himself could not have done better!

You know, the one with the Jeannie!

Comment

• 16-31 July 1944

In Burma the IJA is pressing hard on Prome while trying to cut my supply lines to the north. Heavy fighting.

The Central Pacific: Consolidation, rest, and repair. The B-24s are pounding Iwo. I sent my CVs to rove around between Iwo and Okinawa to disrupt IJN logistics operations.

At Guam I have 6 CV, 8 CVL, 25 CVE, 9 BB, 1 BC.

Pearl Harbor (the strategic reserve): I have 7 CVs, one CVL, and 2 BBs.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I now have eight squadrons of B-29s in use.

Allies 12,502 aircraft (+157), 1136 ships (+3); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 16,301 aircraft (+281) and 773 ships (+22), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

One aspect I am seeing is the difference in Japanese airpower. Fighting my way up the Slot, the Japanese level bombers wrought havoc, and the CV-borne aircraft were a whirlwind. These days the Japanese raids are smaller, and the difference in quality of aircrew are visible. In addition, with my cargo and troops carried in LSTs, AKAs, and APAs, my flak defenses are five-fold. Before, every Japanese raid meant ships sunk or damaged, or airfields shot up; but in July not a single one of the Japanese raids penetrated the defenses.

My Plan, post-Truk:

Comment

• 1-30 August 1944

Light, inconclusive fighting in Burma.

The Central Pacific: Consolidation, rest, and repair. The B-24s are pounding Iwo. I sent my CVs to rove around between Iwo and Okinawa to disrupt IJN logistics operations, which did considerable good. The bulk of my ground forces at Guam are the same forces which took Truk and cleared the Marianas, so I took the month to rest them while bringing up fresh troops from the States, and the 32nd Infantry Division from New Guinea.
                                When recon revealed Daito Shoto to be unoccupied, I seized it.

At Guam I have 13 CV, 8 CVL, 31 CVE, 12 BB, 1 BC.

Western Pacific: Since my capture of Marcus Island my supply route from the US is much shorter; the IJN slipped a small carrier TF between Pearl and my land-based West Coast air and shot up some convoys. I vectored in several response forces, and some strikes were exchanged, but they slipped away.

Pearl Harbor (the strategic reserve): I have 1 CV and 2 BBs.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I now have ten squadrons of B-29s operating out of Guam and Saipan. I can't see that they are doing a lot of damage, but every bit helps.

Allies 12,825 aircraft (+323), 1158 ships (+22); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 17,008 aircraft (+707) and 834 ships (+61), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Guam:
                                4) Take Daito Shoto to clear the line of my advance (DONE)
                                5) In the Okinawa islands take Nalta, Nago, Kume-Jima, Okin, Tobin, and Amani.
                                Optional) Take Iwo Jima to secure the ‘north flank’ of my supply line.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X