Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrix Game's War in the Pacific, and my epic tale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-31 January 1944

CBI Theater: China requires no real input from me.
    Burma was quiet. Air raids still frequent.

I have a BB and BC in the Indian Ocean.

New Guinea: This region was quiet. The IJA garrisons are isolated, and starving.

The Central Pacific: Truk fell on 1-16-44. All the facilities are pounded flat, and it will take a considerable amount of time to get my logistics sorted out and Truk set up. Rabaul will remain my main base as Truk has size limitations.

I have four CVs, three CVLs, eleven BBs, one BC, and fifteen CVEs at Rabaul. The concentration of repair assets at Rabaul is paying off handsomely.

The South Pacific: The IJN sortied in strength into the area around Johnson Island again, sinking twenty+ cargo vessels, tankers, and oilers. I sent my CV task forces in, and won a spectacular victory, sinking five CVs and several surface combatants. If I could have pursued fully I would have finished off a crippled BB, but my carriers were low on fuel and I had no oilers left in the region.

Other factors: I have 4 CVs, 5 CVLs, and 3 BBs at Pearl. The fourth mobile dock is now underway. I received my first LSV and LCI(G). Two Iowa-class BBs are now at Pearl.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) +# is the losses in this period.
    Allies 9350 aircraft (+385), 1053 ships (+35); including the BB Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 12,093 aircraft (+517) and 630 ships (+36), including the BBs Haruma, Kirishima, Kongo, Mutsi, Yamoto, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryu, Junyo, Zuikoku.

My Plan:
    1) In the Marianas take Guam, Rota, Tuien, Saipan.
    2) In the Bonin Islands take Iwo Jima, Haha Jima, Chichi Jima.
    3) Decide on the final approach to Japan

Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by StellarRat View Post
      So you have decided to bypass the Philippines? I'm not so sure that is a good idea, but I guess you'll find out. I have to remind you that the Philippines will have some indigenous supply ability for the Japanese, so they might be able to harass you from that area until the end of the war. MacArthur did take them back by war end.
      Yes, as I've noted in my plan I'm taking a more direct route across the center, with Nimitiz's end game. I may have to capture some islands to the west of the line of appreoach to secure my flank, but the Philippines are a rat's nest of islands and large isles-I don't want to get dragged into there.

But we'll see. My plan isn't etched in stone.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Well done on your victory near Johnson Island Admiral Grant, eerrr Rimmer. Incidently I believe the direct thrust is the correct one, screen the Philipinne flank but thrust straight at the heart of the enemy heart. Now you have crippled their fleets there should be nothing but glory for the Rimmer Family name.
        An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

• Originally posted by Baztanz View Post
          Well done on your victory near Johnson Island Admiral Grant, eerrr Rimmer. Incidently I believe the direct thrust is the correct one, screen the Philipinne flank but thrust straight at the heart of the enemy heart. Now you have crippled their fleets there should be nothing but glory for the Rimmer Family name.
          Thank you, the Rimmers shall live forever in the pixilated hearts of their countrymen!

With the input about my flanks, I've been examining the map and recon'ing some atolls for flank security while I'm getting Truk fixed back up.

Comment

• Is there a set turn limit on the game?

Can you run out of time before you finish the Japs off?
            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
              Is there a set turn limit on the game?

Can you run out of time before you finish the Japs off?
              Yes, spring 1946. There's also a A bomb option that comes into play, a sort of 'choose your victory path' situation.

Comment

• Congrats on your magnificient victory over the Combined Fleet! I imagine losing that many carriers will put the Japanese on the back foot for good after this.

They're still dangerous, of course, and unquestionably a lot of hard fighting remains. However, I suspect that looking back, this battle will definitively mark where the tide turned for you.
                "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Comment

• It appears you've broken the back of the Japanese Navy! Three HAZZAHS for Adm. Rimmer! And a double rum ration for all hands!

Comment

• Be careful. Unless you made a typo you have sunck only 3 of the original 6 fleet carriers. That leaves 4 (assuming Taiho has joined the Fleet) plus a number of good 6-8 CVL and CVEs with the IJN.

I would expect Saipan/Guam to be a tougher fight than you just experienced. Kamikaze attacks can be expected by the summer of 1944, iirc.
                    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Thank you, all.

The IJN is a wounded tiger, still very, very dangerous.

Comment

• 1-28 February 1944

I have a CVL, BB and BC in the Indian Ocean.

New Guinea: This region was quiet. The IJA garrisons are isolated, and starving.

The Central Pacific: This month was spent getting Truk repaired, shifting aircraft and ships around, building up stockpiles of supplies & fuel, making recon flights, and resting the troops. Clearing out the backlog of damaged ships at Rabaul, Sydney, and Pearl was accomplished as well. The third floating dock arrived at Rabaul. B-24s are prepping Ponape.

I have four CVs, three CVLs, fourteen BBs, one BC, and twenty CVEs at Rabaul.

Other factors: I have 4 CVs, and 5 CVLs at Pearl.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) +# is the losses in this period.
                        Allies 9675 aircraft (+275), 1058 ships (+5); including the BB Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 12,469 aircraft (+375) and 654 ships (+36), including the BBs Haruma, Kirishima, Kongo, Mutsi, Yamoto, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryu, Junyo, Zuikoku.

My Plan:
                        Modified base on input from War Department and Joint Chiefs of Staff.

1) Take Ponape to secure east flank, Woleai to secure west flank.
                        2) In the Marianas take Guam, Rota, Tuien, Saipan.
                        3) Secure Marcus Island to secure east supply route.
                        4) In the Bonin Islands take Iwo Jima, Haha Jima, Chichi Jima.
                        5) Take Okinawa islands.
                        6) Japan

Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 11 Apr 13, 05:47.

Comment

• 1-15 March 1944

The Central Pacific: Truk is now my forward base for combat vessels, with the newly-arrived fourth floating dock in attendance. Ponape and Woleai were taken to secure the flanks; Woleai is still being organized, but each will host PBYs, fighters, and either Avengers or Dauntlesses. B-24s are prepping Guam.

I have four CVs, three CVLs, thirteen BBs, one BC, and twenty-one CVEs at Truk.

Other factors: I have 4 CVs, and 5 CVLs at Pearl.

Allies 9764 aircraft (+89), 1059 ships (+1); including the BB Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 12,679 aircraft (+210) and 661 ships (+7), including the BBs Haruma, Kirishima, Kongo, Mutsi, Yamoto, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryu, Junyo, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Truk:
                          1) Take Panape to secure east flank, Woleai to secure west flank. (DONE)
                          5) Take Daito Shoto to clear the line of my advance
                          6) Take the Okinawa islands.

Comment

• 16-31 March 1944

The Central Pacific: The assault task force for Guam is underway. Two additional waves are following, set up so if Guam is not that tough of a nut, they can be diverted to hit the adjacent islands. The problem with the current assaults is that Truk is the only island within range, and that only with B-24s. My recon data for these islands is poor, and most of the air support will have to be from carriers.

I have four CVs, nine CVLs, thirteen BBs, one BC, and twenty-four CVEs at Truk.

Other factors: I have 5 CVs at Pearl.

Allies 9960 aircraft (+196), 1060 ships (+1); including the BB Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 12,964 aircraft (+285) and 667 ships (+6), including the BBs Haruma, Kirishima, Kongo, Mutsi, Yamoto, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryu, Junyo, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Truk:
                            1) Take Panape to secure east flank, Noleai to secure west flank. (DONE)
                            6) In the Okinawa islands take Nalta, Nago, Kume-Jima, Okin, Tobin, and Amani.

Comment

• 1-15 April 1944

The Central Pacific: We took Guam and Rota easily enough, and immediately P-47s and P-38Js immediately flew in and provided CAP. This turned out to be essential as the Combined Fleet sortied and did some damage until my CVs responded and sank a CV and a CVL. The airfields at Rota and Guam have allowed me to bring up my dedicated recon aircraft, as well as B-24s up close. This is essential, as the photo planes have revealed that Tuien is markedly tougher than Guam, and Saipan will be tougher than Truk. Still, I have a new forward base (Guam), and have already neutralized the airfields in Tuien and Saipan, who have already seen their last supply convoys. Things are disordered as I bring everything forward to the new base, but the advance will resume shortly.

Other factors: I have 6 CVs at Pearl.

Allies 10,627 aircraft (+667), 1085 ships (+25); including the BB Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 13,897 aircraft (+934) and 675 ships (+8), including the BBs Haruma, Kirishima, Kongo, Mutsi, Yamoto, CVL Ryujo, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Truk:
                              1) Take Panape to secure east flank, Noleai to secure west flank. (DONE)
                              2) In the Marianas take Guam, Rota, Tuien, Saipan. (UNDERWAY)
                              6) In the Okinawa islands take Nalta, Nago, Kume-Jima, Okin, Tobin, and Amani.

Comment

• Sounds like you have the combined fleet on the ropes now, keep up the pressure you are doing well.

So next time you do a AAR on this I would love to hear how you would go as the Jap, sounds like that would be a challenge.
                                An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X