Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrix Game's War in the Pacific, and my epic tale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was an open sea fight-the IJN won't bring its carriers into the reach of any sizeable land-based air I have. Where we fought neither side could bring land-based combat aircraft into play. I had PBYs and subs tracking them, but the accuracy of such reports is poor as to types; CLs get reported as BCs, and everyone sees flat tops.

I was outside Japanese land-based air as well-I'm painfully familar with the Betty, Lily, and Helen.

My TFs were coming in from the east-I did a speed run out of Pearl due south to avoid the 'beeline' effect.

However, there's nothing you can do about CV and capitol ship floatplane scouting, and the IJN had subs in the area.

I've played every previous version of this game repeatedly.

My PBYs are still tracking the main body. My subs are somewhat hit & miss as the modern boats are deployed deep in Japanese territory, so the scouting are the S boats, too short-legged to really be great.

At the worst point, the dock was 138 miles from the IJN main body. Well within surface response range.

My only consolation is that I know the IJN took heavy air losses. Many of my planes from the downed CVs made it to Johnson or Baker Island, and our aircrew recovery is much better; at least half my aircrew are back in the pool. Plus I had a new CV in transit from Panama.

As to region concentration, CBI is a land theater. and the Solomons are too well sewed up by my land air now. My operational doctrine is to maintain a single point of focus and bring the bulk of my air power there. Its worked so far.

I'm not sure if the IJN is short on transports, or the IJA lacks base supportb units, because either there was no invasion force or they turned back. This foray was devastateing tactically, but my supply lines are back in operation now.

I'll try a screenshot.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

OK, I googled 'how to take a screenshot'.

NOTE: Screenshot 7-1-43, battle fought 6-7-43

Screen 1 shows one of the IJN TFs highlighted. Johnson Island is just off screen at the weather notation on the top bar. The battle took place SSW of Johnson, near the bottom of the screen.

Screen 2 shows a second TF report, and Baker island. The TFs have not moved, so this will give you some perpective.

Screen A shows the Rabaul area.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 02 Apr 13, 20:37.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Excellent certainly does give a perspective of whats happening, many thanks.
        An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

This has always been a fun game,... even the massive table top version dating back to the old SPI days in the 70s. There are as many strategies as there are players.

Adm Rimmer,

I'm still tinkering with this newest version but once I have a chance to get it sussed out,... perhaps we'll have a go at human v human (but not for a some time,... too many irons in the fire already )

Interested?
          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
            This has always been a fun game,... even the massive table top version dating back to the old SPI days in the 70s. There are as many strategies as there are players.

Adm Rimmer,

I'm still tinkering with this newest version but once I have a chance to get it sussed out,... perhaps we'll have a go at human v human (but not for a some time,... too many irons in the fire already )

Interested?
            Very definately.

Comment

1-15 July 1943

CBI Theater: China requires no real input from me.
              One of my flanking battalions secured the ungarrisoned city of Bassein, and I air-lifted in two Chindit brigades (77th, 111th); Bassein is due west of Rangoon. The Chindits harassed the Rangoon garrison, and delayed the additional forces rushed in by ship. Meanwhile, my main force took Prome.

I have built up a small squadron of four CAs and a CL in the Indian Ocean.

New Guinea: MOderate fighting between PM and Buna.

The Central Pacific: Manus was taken; it has no airstrips, but that will be rectified soon.

Based at Rabaul I have five BBs, one BC, and 4 CVEs.

Other factors: I have 3 CVs, 1 CVL, and 7 BBs at Pearl. My floating dock reached Rabaul on the last day of this period. The first P-47s went into action in this period. Aside from Manus, my efforts are to restore the damage done to my logistics operations and to prepare for Truk. Manus could be done 'on the fly', but Truk will be an exceedingly tough nut.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) +# is the losses in this period.
              Allies 7309 aircraft (+192), 742 ships (+1); including the CAs Chicago, Pensacola, Northampton, Sussex, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 9326 aircraft (+409) and 467 ships (+7), including the BBs Haruma, Kongo, Mutsi, Yamoto.

My Plan:
              1) Take Truk.
              2) Drive into the Marianas.
              3) Drive into the Bonin Islands.
              4) Japan

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                1-15 July 1943

Aside from Manus, my efforts are to restore the damage done to my logistics operations and to prepare for Truk. Manus could be done 'on the fly', but Truk will be an exceedingly tough nut.

My Plan:
                1) Take Truk.
                4) Japan
                Adm. Rimmer = the new General Grant!

Comment

Originally posted by StellarRat View Post
                  Adm. Rimmer = the new General Grant!
                  I am a fan of Grant's. And my strategy is similar: to win, I have to grind down the enemy.

Comment

16-31 July 1943

CBI Theater: China requires no real input from me.
                    My forces, less route security, have concentrated at Rangoon, where the IJA has delivered several new divisions. Fighting was heavy.

I have built up a small squadron of four CAs and a CL in the Indian Ocean.

New Guinea: Minor fighting.

The Central Pacific: Manus airstrips can now handle one squadron. The invasion forces, less the garrison, are back on Rabaul and new support units have arrived to replace those lost in transit.

Suspicious of what level of naval forces are at Truk, and having knocked out its airstrips with my B-24s, I sent five BBs and a BC (all RN vessels or old USN BBs) on a high-speed night run to Truk to test the defenses. The TF shot up a number of support vessels, including an AV, and made it back to friendly waters without significant damage.

Based at Rabaul I have five BBs, one BC, and 4 CVEs.

Other factors: I have 4 CVs, 3 CVLs, and 7 BBs at Pearl.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) +# is the losses in this period.
                    Allies 7488 aircraft (+179), 745 ships (+3); including the CAs Chicago, Pensacola, Northampton, Sussex, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 9326 aircraft (+290) and 493 ships (+26), including the BBs Haruma, Kongo, Mutsi, Yamoto.

My Plan:
                    1) Take Truk.
                    4) Japan

Comment

Really enjoying this AAR; thanks for doing it! WTIP:AE intimidates the hell out of me, but it's AAR's like this that keep me interested in it.
                      "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Kahless View Post
                        Really enjoying this AAR; thanks for doing it! WTIP:AE intimidates the hell out of me, but it's AAR's like this that keep me interested in it.
                        Its not that tough of a game, mechcanically-speaking. I keep a sticky note reminding me what important new ships arrive when & where, and I have a pattern of resolving areas that I follow each turn, but otherwise its not that big of a deal. I've got the entire pacific technically under my command, but there's only four areas seeing action at the momonent. The AI makes sure the garrisons stay in supply, so I just concernmyself with the points of contact.

The toughest thing for me is the lag time. If I want extra units a Rabaul, I have to accept that they will take ten days to get there.

The huge mass of data avalible is there is you need it, but you don't have to access it often unless you really enjoy that sort of thing.

I'm glad you enjoy it. I have to say the 'requirement' of reporting my actions has added a diemention to the game for me. Losing the Battle of Johnson's Island, for example, carried a much greater sting because I knew I would have to answer for it here!

Comment

Its not that tough of a game, mechcanically-speaking. I keep a sticky note reminding me what important new ships arrive when & where, and I have a pattern of resolving areas that I follow each turn, but otherwise its not that big of a deal. I've got the entire pacific technically under my command, but there's only four areas seeing action at the momonent. The AI makes sure the garrisons stay in supply, so I just concernmyself with the points of contact.

The toughest thing for me is the lag time. If I want extra units a Rabaul, I have to accept that they will take ten days to get there.

The huge mass of data avalible is there is you need it, but you don't have to access it often unless you really enjoy that sort of thing.

I'm glad you enjoy it. I have to say the 'requirement' of reporting my actions has added a diemention to the game for me. Losing the Battle of Johnson's Island, for example, carried a much greater sting because I knew I would have to answer for it here!
                          Admiral Rimmer.
                          Many thanks for the effort you have put into this tremendously readable AAR.
                          You could flesh it out a bit and present it as an alternative history book,perhaps insert some characters here and there,it's that good I've signed up.Cheers.

Comment

One thing I love about WIP is that it really illustrates how important logistics, infrastructure, and long term planning are in a war. Most games gloss over logistics because it's not "fun" for some players (or they think it isn't fun at least.) The most brilliant strategist/tactician can easily lose in WIP by not paying attention to the mundane non-fighting stuff that it really takes to win. Cutting off your enemies' supplies is one of the easiest ways to win any battle and if he does it to himself so much the better.

Comment

Its not that tough of a game, mechcanically-speaking.
                              My biggest problem was trying to figure out how you actually execute a beach invasion. I can't remember anymore, but it seems to me there were many ways to load ships, different types of ships, etc...I remember it as being quite complicated. I played the Kista scenario a few times and was never really happy with how it turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by StellarRat View Post
                                My biggest problem was trying to figure out how you actually execute a beach invasion. I can't remember anymore, but it seems to me there were many ways to load ships, different types of ships, etc...I remember it as being quite complicated. I played the Kista scenario a few times and was never really happy with how it turned out.
                                My first op, a large raid on Tarawa, was a Deippe-style outcome: the mission failed, but the experience was invaluable.

The AJR method to invasion:

Dedicate a recon squadron to the target at least ten days before the op, and leave them on it. This will give you a fairly reliable ground force estimate.

Bomb the airfields out of action. Forget ground support, keep the airfields closed.

I figure three regiments of infantry, one battalion of armor, one battalion of FA per 10,000 IJA defenders, minimum.

Include AA, combat engineers, and base support in the first wave so the instant you secure the base it can start getting operartive.

Have mote troops & the transports to move 'em ready to go if the first wave runs into trouble. Very important on the bigger islands.

And have at TF of capital ships in the area for security, plus all the land-based air that reaches.

In this version, you move troops on transport TF loaded for port-to-port (very space-efficent), or in Amphib TFs loaded for over-the-beach deployment (space inefficent). The same ships do either, but APAs, LCIs, LSTs, and LSDs make for faster unloading.

Its really pretty idiot-proof, and trust me, I've tested the idiot part. The one thing I needed was to print the appendix with all the ship codes as the support classes are a bit confusing to me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X