Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrix Game's War in the Pacific, and my epic tale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
    You are dealing with an AI,... your actions will not make it cautious or aggressive. The only way to defeat the Japanese carrier fleet is to commit your own. You can lose 2 or 3 or even 4 carriers to everyone Japan loses and still have a carrier fleet.

Your shipping losses are more than twice Japan's and this will not change until you commit. Sinking battleships does not hurt Japane much,...get their carriers and with them their carrier air groups. Then start raiding their land bases with carrier groups supported by your land based air.

Deny the seas to Japan and you be able to start moving forward. You can't do this without losing heavy kit.

Get stuck in!
    Actually, the AI reacts very well to my moves.

And I can't trade 2 CVs for one Japanese-the six I have are it for another ten months. I really won't get any significant numbers until 1944.

With the war in retrospect I can afford a ratio, but not in January 1943. One solid defeat and I'm without a CV fleet.

A lot of my shipping losses are coastal stuff that went down in December '41. I have plenty of cargo vessels, enough tankers and transports, and a growing flow of more (I'm getting an LST every five days).

So they're staying put. I'll risk BBs, but that's it. Right now the southern supply line, Midway, and ANZAC are safe, so I don't need to committ to anything life-or-death. Without a mobile reserve of carriers, island defenses are vulnerable.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I've played WitP and you need to take the fight to the Japanese fleet and draw out those carriers. The USN needs to sink thsoe 6 japanese fleet carriers and wreck the carrier air arm. In the OTL the US was reduced to one carrier a couple of times but the attrition they imposed on the Japanese made possible the drive of 1943 and set up the power drive in 1944.

Get rid of the carriers and it frees the USN to start reducing Japanese island defences and their land based air forces one by one. You don't need to commit all six at once if you don't want to but they exist to defeat the enemy. Right now, the Japanese are building up as well but suffering any losses of importance. You've already noted the ability of the japanese to hurt your forces as they try to push back in the Solomons. Get your carriers engaged supported by the air force at Guadalcanal and start pressing the Japnese hard.

Nimitz was not timid, nor should you be.
      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

You certainly want to be very aggressive with your subs. The Japanese were terrible at ASW, so the risk / reward ratio is very high. Send them everywhere and sink as much Japanese shipping as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
          I've played WitP and you need to take the fight to the Japanese fleet and draw out those carriers. The USN needs to sink thsoe 6 japanese fleet carriers and wreck the carrier air arm. In the OTL the US was reduced to one carrier a couple of times but the attrition they imposed on the Japanese made possible the drive of 1943 and set up the power drive in 1944.

Get rid of the carriers and it frees the USN to start reducing Japanese island defences and their land based air forces one by one. You don't need to commit all six at once if you don't want to but they exist to defeat the enemy. Right now, the Japanese are building up as well but suffering any losses of importance. You've already noted the ability of the japanese to hurt your forces as they try to push back in the Solomons. Get your carriers engaged supported by the air force at Guadalcanal and start pressing the Japnese hard.

Nimitz was not timid, nor should you be.
          I'll give it some thought.

While the TF that just got shot to peices gets patched up....

You're right, I know. But they're my precious...
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

16-31 January 1943

CBI Theater: China requires no real input from me.
            There has been heavy skirmishing north of Akyab.

I have built up a small squadron of two CAs plus DDs in the Indian Ocean.

Java, Indonesia, and the Philippines: The Japanese have this area sewed up.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: My forces took Torokima. Darwin receives heavy bombing.

IJN surface TFs raid throught this area; I have two transport task forces shot up & scattered, but the extra security prevented them from annihilation. The Fiji brigade takes considerable losses, but the survivors bolster Lunga. I respond with surface & air TFs, and there are several heavy surface engagements. Both sides lose CAs and smaller craft, and the Prince of Wales, like Ramillies, is forced to withdraw to Pearl for repairs. The HMS Warspite, which was at Pearl for some reason, is dispatched to this area. I am sending fuel and repair ships (ARs) to Luganville in Esprito Santo to serve as a forward base for my heavies to facilitate faster responses.

Based at Luganville I have a CVL, three BBs, a BC, plus supporting vessels. My fuel reserve in this region is very low. At Noumea I have four CVEs.

Southern Pacific: The IJN is still quiet.

Western Pacific: IJN CVs bombed Midway, but the heavy flak and fighter defenses took a toll.
            I have 6 CVs and 10 BBs at Pearl.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor; ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
            Allies 4999 aircraft (+224), 625 ships (+14); including the CAs Chicago, Pensacola, and Northampton.

Japanese 6014 aircraft (+285) and 319 ships (+21), including the BBs Haruma, Kongo and Yamoto.

Comment

In regard to the subs I believe Armold says their performance is handled by the AI, he merely deploys them to an area and the rest is done by the game infrastructure.

I have a feeling from reading this AAR the Admirals version of WITP is far more involved than the orginal WITP version which I still have. I have to say Arnold your AAR does wet the appetite for me to get theis new version. Sadly though the price would put me off.

As The Purist has suggested it may be time to start tweaking the IJN nose a little with your CV' TF's. If you are hurting they have to be much more so.

But keep up the work, its very enjoyable to read and I look forward each day to reading your progress. Regardless what the rest of us couch admirals tell you how to perform, you seem to be doing OK.
              An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

Originally posted by Baztanz View Post
                In regard to the subs I believe Armold says their performance is handled by the AI, he merely deploys them to an area and the rest is done by the game infrastructure.

I have a feeling from reading this AAR the Admirals version of WITP is far more involved than the orginal WITP version which I still have. I have to say Arnold your AAR does wet the appetite for me to get theis new version. Sadly though the price would put me off.

As The Purist has suggested it may be time to start tweaking the IJN nose a little with your CV' TF's. If you are hurting they have to be much more so.

But keep up the work, its very enjoyable to read and I look forward each day to reading your progress. Regardless what the rest of us couch admirals tell you how to perform, you seem to be doing OK.
                Thanks!

I've played the earlier versions, and this is definately more in-depth, but they have also kept the required detail level low-you can leave a lot to the AI, or you can get into the fine detail & tinker. The biggest change I see is the AI is much better than in earlier versions, and the logistics system is much better. The automated supply system take a huge load of detail off you and lets you focus on the 'hot spots'.

What I do with the subs is when they appear in stateside ports or Panama, I send them to Pearl and switch them to computer control. The AI manages their deployment, patrols, resupply, repair, everything. Its clearly following the historical doctrine, which iswhat I would do,

Unfortunately, I stuck with the 'histroical torpedoes' option, so they're not as effective as they could be (but about right, historically). They'll get better.

I am bringing the heavies out. I'm hoping to go CV-CV outside of the Coral sea, though. IJA land-based air still hasn't been fully supporesed, and while my boys have downed staggering numbers of Betties, Helens, and Lilies, they still have some left. They really, really are a b*tch in the anti-shipping role.

I wish the new planes would hurry up. The P-40s and P-39s are just not cutting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  What I do with the subs is when they appear in stateside ports or Panama, I send them to Pearl and switch them to computer control. The AI manages their deployment, patrols, resupply, repair, everything. Its clearly following the historical doctrine, which iswhat I would do,

Unfortunately, I stuck with the 'histroical torpedoes' option, so they're not as effective as they could be (but about right, historically). They'll get better.
                  If I remember correctly the AI tends to spread the subs out. I suggest trying to saturate your problem areas with subs (that's what I meant by being aggressive.) It true that you don't have a lot of control over the when they attack, etc...but you do have control over where they patrol and some other stuff. I will admit it's been a long time since I played WIP though.

Comment

Originally posted by StellarRat View Post
                    If I remember correctly the AI tends to spread the subs out. I suggest trying to saturate your problem areas with subs (that's what I meant by being aggressive.) It true that you don't have a lot of control over the when they attack, etc...but you do have control over where they patrol and some other stuff. I will admit it's been a long time since I played WIP though.
                    This version tends to scatter the short-range boats on 'warning screen' duty, but the long-range monden boats are snuggled up to the Japanese coast and certain bottlenecks such as the gap at Rabaul and similiar places. I've been keeping an eye on it, and frankly, its putting them right where I would.

They're getting a lot of contacts, but the improved torps are still some time away. they've sunk quite a few support veseels, and damaged more.

One shot down a search plane a couple turns ago.

Comment

1-15 February 1943

My forces retook Akyab and dig in.

I have built up a small squadron of two CAs and a CL, plus DDs in the Indian Ocean.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: A quiet phase, which was very welcome to me as it let me attend to logistics and repair issues. My aircraft losses have been very heavy, and frontline air strength is very low.

Based at Luganville I have a CVL, three BBs, a BC, plus supporting vessels. My fuel reserve is good. At Noumea I have five CVEs.

Southern Pacific: The IJN was still quiet.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 10 BBs at Pearl.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor; ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
                      Allies 5142 aircraft (+145), 628 ships (+3); including the CAs Chicago, Pensacola, and Northampton.

Japanese 6290 aircraft (+276) and 330 ships (+11), including the BBs Haruma, Kongo and Yamoto.

Comment

1-15 March 1943

More forces are shifted south as I begin a push down the western highway in Burma, mainly to protect Akyab and draw off IJA resources, although I’ll invade for real if serious progress is made.

I have built up a small squadron of three CAs plus DDs in the Indian Ocean.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: After careful assembly of forces and logistical work, I have assembled an invasion fleet to lift 12 regiments of infantry, 3 battalions each of artillery and tanks in an assault on Raboul. The fleet contains three CVEs, and for their combat debut, LSTs and LCIs. The heavy bomber prep on Rabaul has not started due to the fact it will take several days to get the fleet loaded. The first AKAs appeared on the West Coast, and I was tempted to delay until they reached Noumea, but that would mean a ten day delay, and there will always be something new. When the invasion fleet sails ever heavy unit the UK has in the region will sortie as well.

Based at Luganville I have a CV, CVL, 2 BBs, a BC, plus supporting vessels. My fuel reserve is good. At Noumea I have five CVEs.

Southern Pacific: Quiet.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 10 BBs at Pearl.

Allies 5440 aircraft (+173), 637 ships (+7); including the CAs Chicago, Pensacola, and Northampton.

Japanese 7063 aircraft (+479) and 351 ships (+12), including the BBs Haruma, Kongo and Yamoto.

Comment

I would sortie the carriers at Pearl into the Central Pacific as a cover for your invasion force in the Solomons.

That way the Japs would be torn on which one to counter. Otherwise I fear your invasion force will get hammered.

I agree with the other posters. You've got to start being offensive minded with the carrier force at Pearl. The ships and aircrew need to start building experience rather than sitting in port all the time.

Just my two cents.
                          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                            I would sortie the carriers at Pearl into the Central Pacific as a cover for your invasion force in the Solomons.

That way the Japs would be torn on which one to counter. Otherwise I fear your invasion force will get hammered.

I agree with the other posters. You've got to start being offensive minded with the carrier force at Pearl. The ships and aircrew need to start building experience rather than sitting in port all the time.

Just my two cents.
                            Good points.

I am mounting amajor operation on New guinia as a distraction, and am forming up for a raid on Tarawa to keep 'em guessing. I'll probably send out a CV TF when I do.

Comment

16-31 March 1943

More forces are shifted south as I begin a push down the western highway, mainly to protect Akyab and draw off IJA resources, although I’ll invade for real if serious progress is made.

I have built up a small squadron of three CAs plus DDs in the Indian Ocean.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: Despite severe pounding from B-17s and B-24s, and even sweep attacks from P-40s stationed at Torokima, the IJA hit my amphib fleet hard. Very few planes made it through the fighter & flak screen, although the early-pattern CVEs did not fare well. The important thing was that the troops hit the beaches and by the 30th the Japanese had extracted all air units from Rabaul, although the base itself remains in enemy hands. My transports are unloading without significant air resistance. The addition of the LSTs and LCIs mean a much higher concentration of AA fire.

The small (CV, CVL) RN TF and BB TF circled the area with impunity, sinking some cargo vessels and finishing off a BB which must have been at Rabaul being repaired after an earlier engagement. No sign of a significant response from the Combined Fleet.

At Port Moresby I committed a Aussie infantry division, but the IJA are almost impossible to fully eradicate. The division was part of a ANZAC Corps which has returned from the ETO. It has taken weeks to get them into the theater.

I have a follow-on TF with infantry replacements, AA guns, engineers, and aviation ground crew closing in on Rabaul.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 10 BBs at Pearl. And they stayed there. My precious.

Allies 5827 aircraft (+387), 650 ships (+13); including the CAs Chicago, Pensacola, and Northampton.

Japanese 7536 aircraft (+473) and 374 ships (+23), including the BBs Haruma, Kongo, Mutsi, and Yamoto.

The million dollar question now is if we can take Rabaul.

Comment

1-15 April 1943

My forces have pushed 92 miles south down the highway and I am trying a supporting amphib operation to ease their route.

I have built up a small squadron of three CAs plus DDs in the Indian Ocean. A fourth CA was torpedoed en route from Cape Town.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: Heavy fighting around Rabaul. I have complete control of the surrounding seas, and nearly complete air superiority. No sign of the Combined Fleet; its possible they are still repairing damage from earlier clashes. The IJA is a tough nut; the second wave is ashore and a third and fourth on their way, but the base remains in Japanese hands.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 12 BBs at Pearl.

Allies 5988 aircraft (+161), 654 ships (+4); including the CAs Chicago, Pensacola, Northampton, and Sussex.

Japanese 7773 aircraft (+237) and 391 ships (+17), including the BBs Haruma, Kongo, Mutsi, and Yamoto.

I have ordered several subs to lay mines at Truk. So far no indication of how effective, if at all, this has been.

I’ve begun converting some of my excess AKs to APs, as I have a considerable surplus of the latter, all the more so as LSTs are entering service in great numbers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X