Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrix Game's War in the Pacific, and my epic tale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1-15 June 1942
    CBI Theater: China requires no real input from me.
    The rout in Burma continues; trapped in Burma are 13 infantry brigades, 5 regiments of artillery, 10 battalions of infantry, and 6 HQ or logistical units.

Java, Indonesia, and the Philippines: The Japanese have this area sewed up.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: Fighting was extremely heavy at Port Moresby, Rossel Island, and Tulagi. Darwin have been hit by several carrier strikes.
    The rampage by major IJN task forces tapered off after a couple days, but my supply network is in ruins. I shut down all operations as I focused on sorting things out. The SLNF on Rossel island was wiped out. The Japanese continue to bring in troops to Tulagi in the face of fierce air support, using barges. On the 14th, the IJN lifted in another invasion force to Rossel Island. My air cover there is limited to the island, and they seem determined to take that island.
    Tassfaranga has an airstrip operation-it can only service one squadron at the moment, but it moves my fighter CAP 90 miles up the Slot.
    Based at Sydney I have three CVs, a CVL, five BBs, a BC, seven CAs, plus supporting vessels. Convoys from Pearl have finally gotten through and while my reserve is still small, I can operate so long as I am careful. Refits and upgrades have affected my transport shipping, but they are nearly over by the 15th.

Southern Pacific: This area has been quiet, allowing me to resume major logistics operations. I’m still engaged in building up islands as a defense perimeter.

Western Pacific: I have 5 CVs and 6 BBs at Pearl (One BB is undergoing a refit & upgrade). No activity. A large number of merchant shipping and DD class vessels are down for refit, upgrade, and/or conversion during this period, which restricted my operations.

Losses to date: Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor (the scenario started on 12-8-41), the Allies have lost 2016 aircraft and 430 ships; of the latter, the largest being two CAs, the Northampton and the Chicago. The Japanese have lost 2203 aircraft and 121 ships, the largest being two CAs, the Suzuya and the Ashigara.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

16-30 June 1942
      The rout in Burma continues; 3 infantry battalions and one brigade make it to safety, with an average of 30% manpower and little heavy equipment. The rest are still struggling.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: Fighting is extremely heavy at Port Moresby, and Tulagi. Rossel island is invaded by another landing force.
      Darwin has been hit by several carrier strikes.
      To take the pressure of Tulagi, I dispatch a TF built around the Prince of Wales and Repulse to The Slot; it sank an IJN CL and two SCs, and scattered the rest of the enemy vessels. Under its cover I add a battalion of Stuart tanks to the garrison.
      I had the Prince of Wales TF head to Rossel Island next, where it sank a light combatant & three transports and forced the rest of the Japanese vessels to scatter. Low on fuel & ammo, it then retired to Sydney.
      While the IJN was distracted by the surface force raid, I ran a convoy carrying a regiment of artillery and two company-sized infantry combat teams to Port Moresby.
      Based at Sydney I have three CVs, a CVL, five BBs, a BC, seven CAs, plus supporting vessels. Convoys from Pearl have finally gotten through and while my fuel reserve is still small, I can operate so long as I am careful.

Southern Pacific: The IJN demonstrated heavily in this area, with at least one CV task force. I’m not taking the bait at the moment, as most of my CVs have not exchanged their Vindicators for Avengers.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 8 BBs at Pearl.

Losses to date: Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor (the scenario started on 12-8-41), the Allies have lost 2183 aircraft and 440 ships; of the latter, the largest being two CAs, the Northampton and the Chicago. The Japanese have lost 2381 aircraft and 136 ships, the largest being two CAs, the Suzuya and the Ashigara.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

1-15 July 1942
        The rout in Burma continues; One regiment and one support unit make it to safety, with an average of 30% manpower and little heavy equipment.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: Fighting continues at Port Moresby, Rossel island, and Tulagi.
        Darwin has been hit by several carrier strikes.
        I rotated out the air units at Port Moreseby and Rossel island with fresh units. The Devastator DB squadron on Rossel was down to one operational plane, but the unit had accounted for a CL and several transports over the past weeks.
        I am forming up an amphib force to re-take Horn Island off NE Australia, supported by a TF built around BBs. Due to the distances involved this is still unbderway.
        The Royal Navy is recalling ships from the PTO, and I may have to send a US TF into this area soon.
        Based at Sydney I have two CVs, a CVL, five BBs, a BC, seven CAs, plus supporting vessels. My fuel reserve is small but sufficient.

Southern Pacific: The IJN was quiet-I suspect that they are having problems with repairs and refits, operating as far as they are from major ports.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 9 BBs at Pearl.

Losses to date: Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor (the scenario started on 12-8-41), the Allies have lost 2285 aircraft and 444 ships; of the latter, the largest being two CAs, the Northampton and the Chicago. The Japanese have lost 2582 aircraft and 140 ships, the largest being two CAs, the Suzuya and the Ashigara.

Comment

Great AAR. Sounds like you got yourself a good game going.
          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
            Great AAR. Sounds like you got yourself a good game going.
            Thanks to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              Thanks to you!
              I told you some of those games would be addicting
              "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
              -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

16-31 July 1942
                The rout in Burma continues; about half the army has made it out, but as skeleton formations only; artillery and vehicle losses are running around 90%, manpower around 70%. I still hold Akyab, which is the gateway for the escaping units.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: Fighting continues at Port Moresby, Rossel island, and Tulagi.
                I re-took Horn Island off NE Australia, supported by a TF built around BBs. The BB TF then scattered IJN forces supporting the push on Port Moresby, sinking a sub chaser and four transports.
                I then sent out a CV task force into the area which didn’t sink any ships, but kept the IJN out of the area long enough for me to send supplies and an entire US infantry division (the 32nd) to Port Moresby
                Based at Sydney I have two CVs, a CVL, five BBs, a BC, seven CAs, plus supporting vessels. My fuel reserve is small but sufficient.

Southern Pacific: The IJN was still quiet.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 9 BBs at Pearl. A logistics crisis of my own creation crippled operations for a week or so, but it has been corrected.

A key event is the first sizeable appearance of B-17s (D and Es) in my force pool. Not many have been deployed to the operational areas, but the preparations are nearly complete.

Losses to date: Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor (the scenario started on 12-8-41), the Allies have lost 2535 aircraft and 452 ships; of the latter, the largest being two CAs, the Northampton and the Chicago. The Japanese have lost 2797 aircraft and 155 ships, the largest being two CAs, the Suzuya and the Ashigara.

Of interest is that very nearly half of all Japanese aircraft lost ‘to date’ are Bettys, Lilys, and Nells.

Comment

1-15 August 1942
                  The rout in has ended. I have managed to get the entire army out, but in name only; the average battalion can muster less than 100 men, and less than 10% of vehicles and artillery came out. Akyab is the focus of IJA attacks, but I have resolved to hold it if I can. To support this, I formed the last three CLs in this region and sent them to cruise the Burma coast. They sank a DD, two CMs, and five transports without loss or damage.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: Fighting continues at Port Moresby, Rossel island, and Tulagi. Recon aircraft have shown Buna to have a minimal garrison, so I am sending a small force to raid it.
                  Late in this period the IJN sent CA task forces raiding into this area in an attempt to disrupt the supply convoys, but the effort failed.
                  Based at Sydney I have one CV, one CVL, five BBs, a BC, seven CAs, plus supporting vessels. My fuel reserve is small but sufficient.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 9 BBs at Pearl.

Losses to date: Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor (the scenario started on 12-8-41), the Allies have lost 2629 aircraft and 464 ships; of the latter, the largest being two CAs, the Northampton and the Chicago. The Japanese have lost 3001 aircraft and 175 ships, the largest being two CAs, the Suzuya and the Ashigara.

Each period the Japanese have lost slightly more planes and ship than I have. If this continues, the strategic initiative will be mine regardless of the strengths of the combat fleets.

Comment

16-31 August 1942
                    Akyab fell on the 1st. I managed to extract the forces into India, where the build-up of troops, places, and supplies continues.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: This area was on fire from start to finish. Both sides are pushing transports into the teeth of land-based aircraft in an effort to gain the other hand. The IJNB is focused on Rossel island when I am spending ships trying to get the garrison at Munda up to a survivable state. Twice I sent a CV task force into the area, the second time bagging a BB, and several surface combat TFs as well; the IJN sent surface combatants but no CVs.
                    Based at Sydney I have a CV, a CVL, five BBs, a BC, seven CAs, plus supporting vessels. My fuel reserve is small but sufficient.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 9 BBs at Pearl. The IJN sent several CV TFs which shot up Alaska pretty thoroughly, sinking a lot of light combatants and a CVE just making its shakedown cruise. Once again, I held off responding. There were no troop transports spotted, and I was willing to let the IJN lose veteran aircrews shooting up bases in a marginal region of the war. My CVs have finished upgraded to an enhanced AA package and better damage control.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor; ‘+#' is the losses in this period.

Allies 2848 aircraft (+217), 483 ships (+19); the largest being two CAs, the Northampton and the Chicago.

Japanese 3181 aircraft (+180) and 204 ships (+29), the largest being the BB Kongo.

Comment

11-15 September 1942

I reorganize and plan a return to Burma

Australia and the Solomon Islands: This area was the scene of heavy fighting throughout this period; again both sides shove transports into the teeth of land-based air in an attempt to break the battle line of island bases. There is no clear winner, but losses are heavy on both sizes. I re-take Terapo, a base on the south-center coast of New Guinbia.
                      Based at Sydney I have a CV, a CVL, five BBs, a BC, seven CAs, plus supporting vessels. My fuel reserve is small but sufficient.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 11 BBs at Pearl.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor; ‘+# is the losses in this period.
                      Allies 3133 aircraft (+285), 498 ships (+15); the largest being two CAs, the Northampton and the Chicago.

Japanese 3449 aircraft (+208) and 210 ships (+6), the largest being the BBs Kongo and Haruma.

I have begun to receive P-40s with drop tanks and B-24s.

Comment

16-30 September 1942

Civil unrest in central India forced me to send a battalion of infantry back for garrison duty.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: The Japanese have ceased their battering at my defenses; I continue my aggressive build-up in the region, occupying Russell Island. I am planning another land-based raid on Buna.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 11 BBs at Pearl.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor; ‘+# is the losses in this period.
                        Allies 3373 aircraft (+240), 515 ships (+17); the largest being two CAs, the Northampton and the Chicago.

Japanese 3741 aircraft (+291) and 210 ships (+0), the largest being the BBs Kongo and Haruma.

Comment

1-15 October 1942

This was a relatively quiet period. The Japanese halted their offensive in the Solomons, and aside from a devastating air attack on Darwin which sank several vessels in port, remained on the defensive. I focused on building up airstrips, and moving several B-24 squadrons into place. When the assault on Shortland begins these heavy bombers will target Rabaul.
                          One CA has arrived in the Indian Ocean.

Allies 3560 aircraft (+187), 531 ships (+16); the largest being two CAs, the Northampton and the Chicago.

Japanese 3741 aircraft (+346) and 215 ships (+5), the largest being the BBs Kongo and Haruma.

Comment

16-31 October 1942

A CA arrived. As IJN vessels were harassing the coast of Burma-India, I formed a surface TF comprised of a CA, CL, and three DDs. It sank two DD class and four DE class vessels at the cost of minor damage to one DD.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: After weeks climbing mountains covered with jungle, my forces stormed and re-took Buna, cutting 30,000 IJA troops from their supply lines and radically shifting the situation on New Guiana. I have six squadrons of bombers hitting Lae’s port facilities and airstrips. The IJN will react to Buna, which initiates my real plan: I am going for Shortland. A TF bearing four regiments of infantry, two battalions of tanks, and support troops are at sea at the end of this period, covered by a small (CV, CVL) carrier task force and a three BB surface task force. My plans to add a TF made up of four CVEs had to be shelved as three are still in transit. Five squadrons of B-24s will start hitting Raebul’s air strips in a couple days. The other air bases in the area have been pounded unmercifully for a week. I have delayed with the B-24s because replacements are not immediately available.
                            The first Spitfires reached our theater, but the three squadrons are still forming.
                            Darwin has been hit by several heavy air raids. The port is a shambles.

Based at Sydney I have a CV, a CVL, six BBs, a BC, seven CAs, plus supporting vessels. My fuel reserve is small but sufficient.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 10 BBs at Pearl. The USS Pennsylvania was damaged by an accidental fire and will be undergoing repairs for the rest of the year.

Allies 3812 aircraft (+252), 554 ships (+23); the largest being two CAs, the Northampton and the Chicago.

Japanese 4311 aircraft (+570) and 240 ships (+25), the largest being the BBs Kongo and Haruma.

My grand plan to to take Raebul and the immedaite bases, then Truk, and then the drive to the home islands. I expect I will have to take some islamnds to secure either flank, but that it my intent at this time. Truk will certainly bring the IJN out in force, and that is what I have been holding the fleet at Pearl in anticipation.

Comment

1-15 November 1942

The IJA made two attempts to take Cox’s Bazaar, on the Indian-Burma border, but I have heavy forces including four battalions of armor (a great deal for this theater) there, and both attempts fail.

Australia and the Solomon Islands: There was heavy fighting at Port Moresby, and I have several squadrons bombing the airstrips and port facilities at Lae.

Darwin has been hit by several heavy raids. The port is a shambles.
                              The attack went in at Shortland, where apparently they were expecting us. We have a foothold, but the base is still in IJA hands. While the enemy was distracted, the airstrip at Munda became operative, and more P-40s are entering the fray. The savage nature of the air war cannot be over-emphasized; I have had to pull several squadrons back to safe islands as they have not a single aircraft left.

The demonstrations by the task forces prompted no naval response, although it kept the IJN from resupplying Shortland. The CVL was damaged. But will be back in service by the end of the year.

Based at Sydney I have a CV, six BBs, a BC, seven CAs, plus supporting vessels. My fuel reserve is small but sufficient. At Noumea I now have four CVEs which will be deployed with 4 CLs and supporting DDs as an offensive task force.

Western Pacific: I have 6 CVs and 10 BBs at Pearl.

Allies 4082 aircraft (+270), 571 ships (+17); the largest being two CAs, the Northampton and the Chicago.

Japanese 4596 aircraft (+285) and 251 ships (+11), the largest being the BBs Kongo and Haruma.

Comment

You have got to be wondering what the AI is doing with the Combined fleet, if anything????
                                An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X