Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrix Game's War in the Pacific, and my epic tale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Baztanz View Post
    Yeah I wopuld love to see the AAR from the japanese side, now that would be a hoot.

Still going strong there AJ, hang in there.
    Thank you.

After I'm done I'm going to see if I can open some of the older saved games as the Japanese and see how it looked from their side.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• 1-15 April 1945

CBI Theater: China requires no real input from me.
      Burma was quiet. My build-up of supplies ran out at Pegu, so once again I’m going over to the defensive.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): Task Force North (three Marine regiments, one Army regiment, three battalions of artillery, three battalions of tanks) reached Nagano.

Task Force South (fourteen divisions*, fifteen battalions of artillery, one tank brigade, twelve tank battalions, one flame tank battalion) took Yokohama, and advanced to the outskirts of Tokyo.

Tokyo becoming the new front line caused the IJN to evacuate the harbor, anmd my CVs were waiting. We bagged a CV, a CA, and numerous smaller vessels.

* = 9th Australian, 5th USMC, 11th Airborne, 1st Cavalry, 6th, 7th, 27th, 32nd, 33rd, 38th, 41st,77th, 93rd and 96th US Infantry.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I have assigned the B-29s to attack the Tokyo’s air and artillery.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
      Allies 21,043 aircraft (+614), 1703 ships (+12); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 30,306 aircraft (+875) and 1653 ships (+134), including the BBs Fuso, Haruna, Hyuga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Nagato, Yamato, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akagi, Amagi, Aso, Hiyo, Hiryu, Junyo, Kasagi, Taiho, Zuikaku.

I am feeling the pressure; political pressure to end the war by September is growing, while combat losses in the heavy fighting is keeping my victory point level at ‘minor’.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Any possibly of an airborne operation or second landing to cut their supply lines? That could dramatically speed up your advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by StellarRat View Post
          Any possibly of an airborne operation or second landing to cut their supply lines? That could dramatically speed up your advance.
          Task Force North is trying to cut one of the two remaining supply corridors to Tokyo. While I have two Airborne units available, I do not have enough transport aircraft in the region.

Comment

• 16-30 April 1945

Burma was quiet. My build-up of supplies ran out at Pegu, so once again I’m on the defensive.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): Task Force North (three Marine regiments, one Army regiment, three battalions of artillery, one battalion of tanks) took Nagano and Nagoka, cutting Tokyo off from the north.

Task Force South (Seventeen divisions*, fifteen battalions of artillery, one tank brigade, twelve tank battalions, one flame tank battalion) began the assault on Tokyo.

We bagged another CV and numerous smaller vessels as the IJN struggled to move its ships out of range of our land-based air.

Japanese air power is flagging: two troop convoys ran into Nagoya, losing one ship to a kamikaze and two LCIs to a collision.

* = 9th Australian, 5th USMC, 11th Airborne, 1st Cavalry, 6th, 7th, 27th, 31st, 32nd, 33rd, 38th, 41st,77th, 81st, 93rd, 96th and 98th US Infantry.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I have assigned the B-29s to attack the Tokyo’s air and artillery.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
            Allies 21,664 aircraft (+621), 1711 ships (+8); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 31,194 aircraft (+890) and 1690 ships (+37), including the BBs Fuso, Haruna, Hyuga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Nagato, Yamato, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akagi, Amagi, Aso, Hiyo, Hiryu, Junyo, Kasagi, Katauragi, Taiho, Zuikaku.

I am feeling the pressure; political pressure to end the war by September is growing, while combat losses in the heavy fighting is keeping my victory point level at ‘minor’.

Comment

• I was wondering where the rest of your marine divisions are?

By this time in the war you should have 6 Marine divisions.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Me thinks you needed to do what the USN and USAAF did in the OTL,... plaster Japan's bases into rubble before going in. If the airbases were levelled the kamikaze would be greatly reduced.

I am still struggling with the game mechanics. For such a large manual it does not actually tell you much. Basic actions are not explained as "in order to do x you click on button 1"

Very frustrating. There is no description of how load ships, how to auto convoy, etc. steep learning curve and no tutorial may need to walk through each and every step of a turn with an experienced player to sort out the mechanics.
                The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                  I was wondering where the rest of your marine divisions are?

By this time in the war you should have 6 Marine divisions.
                  I have them, but all but the 5th come into the game broken down into RCTs. And I've dropped virtually all my regimental formations into garrison duty to keep down the blasted parisans. Its like the East Front all across Occupied Japan.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                    Me thinks you needed to do what the USN and USAAF did in the OTL,... plaster Japan's bases into rubble before going in. If the airbases were levelled the kamikaze would be greatly reduced.

I am still struggling with the game mechanics. For such a large manual it does not actually tell you much. Basic actions are not explained as "in order to do x you click on button 1"

Very frustrating. There is no description of how load ships, how to auto convoy, etc. steep learning curve and no tutorial may need to walk through each and every step of a turn with an experienced player to sort out the mechanics.
                    I have hit the air bases pretty regularly, but the problem in Japan is that the home islands & Korea are riddled with airfields, so its a massive game of whack-a-mole.

Auto convoys are done by turning on the feature at the desired bases. Then put AKs, AKLs, TKs, DDs, and DEs in San Franciso & Columbo. Then go to the button in the top bar and activate those ships as part of the auto-convoy syustem. Thereafter the AI does the rest.

Loading ships is done with the various load commands. Transport TFs load troops in Strat mode, Amphib TFs load troops in Combat mode.

Make sure that units you want to move by ship are not assigned to HQs with a [R] or [S] in their title; they cannot leave their home area. You'll have to change their HQ, which costs Political Points.

Feel free to PM me with any questions; I'm no expert, but I've got a working feel for the game.

Comment

• 1-15 May 1945

Burma was quiet. My build-up of supplies ran out at Pegu, so once again I’m on the defensive.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): Battle Group 1 (formerly Task Force South; Seventeen divisions*, fifteen battalions of artillery, one tank brigade, twelve tank battalions, one flame tank battalion) carried out a Stalingrad-esque battle in Tokyo.

Battle Group 2 (Formerly Task Force North; three Marine regiments, one Army regiment, three battalions of artillery) moved to Akita at the NE corner of the main island, taking advantage of the concentration of IJA forces at Tokyo.

Battle Group 3 (one Marine regiment, one parachute infantry regiment, three armor battalions) is hunting IJA stragglers and hold-outs in the mountains NW of Osaka, and saw heavy fighting throughout this period..

I ran a convoy with supplies and a US Army regiment through the Sea of Japan to Nigata, and it got through with only moderate damage (after it unloaded).

* = 9th Australian, 5th USMC, 11th Airborne, 1st Cavalry, 6th, 7th, 27th, 31st, 32nd, 33rd, 38th, 41st,77th, 81st, 93rd, 96th and 98th US Infantry.

Allies 22,046 aircraft (+382), 1722 ships (+11); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 32,708 aircraft (+514) and 1723 ships (+33), including the BBs Fuso, Haruna, Hyuga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Nagato, Yamato, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akagi, Amagi, Aso, Hiyo, Hiryu, Junyo, Kasagi, Katauragi, Taiho, Zuikaku.

For the first time IJ N ship losses exceed ours.

I am feeling the time crunch; political pressure to end the war by September is growing, while combat losses in the heavy fighting is keeping my victory point level at ‘minor’.

Comment

• Well, if Tokyo is now being surrounded, it sounds like the war is on its last legs. But you never know with the wily Japanese...
                        SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• 16-31 May 1945

Burma was quiet.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): Battle Group 1 (formerly Task Force South Seventeen divisions*, fifteen battalions of artillery, one tank brigade, twelve tank battalions, one flame tank battalion) took Tokyo after 32 days of bitter fighting. Japanese losses appear to be in excess of 300k, mostly ‘militia’.

Battle Group 2 (Formerly Task Force North; three Marine regiments, one Army regiment, three battalions of artillery) took Akita at the NE corner of the main island, and remained there as the supplies ran out.

Battle Group 3 (one Marine regiment, one parachute infantry regiment, three armor battalions) is hunting IJA stragglers and hold-outs in the mountains NW of Osaka, and saw heavy fighting throughout this period.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: This B-29s have stood down for repairs & refitting.

Allies 22,270 aircraft (+224), 1744 ships (+22); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 32,110 aircraft (+2) and 1797 ships (+74), including the BBs Fuso, Haruna, Hyuga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Nagato, Yamato, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akagi, Amagi, Aso, Hiyo, Hiryu, Junyo, Kasagi, Katauragi, Taiho, Zuikaku.

My victory level is now ‘major’, but it is not secure-the margin is small.

Comment

• Word from capitol hill is there are concerns in the Senate that the pixelated war hero Admiral Rimmer may stay on in Japan as pixelated conqueror.
                            An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

• Originally posted by Baztanz View Post
                              Word from capitol hill is there are concerns in the Senate that the pixelated war hero Admiral Rimmer may stay on in Japan as pixelated conqueror.

Comment

• 1-15 June 1945

Burma was quiet.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): I am concentrating my forces to south-coastal Japan because of logistics and the need to mount further amphibious operations. Battle Group 3 finally mopped up the remaining IJA forces. We took Chiba, Ustonominya, Iwaki, and Sendai in rapid succession, the motorized formations being extremely flexible in this flatter terrain; the IJA units retreating out of Tokyo were too disrupted to fight well, and heavy losses were inflicted. We now stand outside Yamagata, with four cities of note beyond that. The 7th and 77th Infantry Divisions are currently loading for an amphibious assault on Hakodate, the large island to the north.

I have run a troop convoy and a supply convoy into Tokyo itself.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: This B-29s have stood down for repairs & refitting.

Allies 22,563 aircraft (+297), 1789 ships (+45); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 35,396 aircraft (+3286) and 1857 ships (+60), including the BBs Fuso, Haruna, Hyuga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Nagato, Yamato, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akagi, Amagi, Aso, Hiyo, Hiryu, Junyo, Kasagi, Katauragi, Taiho, Zuikaku.

My victory level is now ‘major’, but it is not secure-the margin is small.

Most of the Japanese aircraft destroyed in this period were caught on over-run airfields die to a shortage of repair parts or fuel.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X