Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrix Game's War in the Pacific, and my epic tale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16-28 February 1945

CBI Theater: China requires no real input from me.
    I am launching a limited offensive towards Rangoon, to see how strained the IJA supply network has become. I have won the first engagements, but have not reacheed Rangoon.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): Task Force North (three Marine regiments, one Cavalry regiment, two battalions of artillery, four battalions of tanks) are advancing towards Kanazawa to cover the flank..
    Task Force South (four divisions*, six regiments of infantry**, fifteen battalions of artillery, one tank brigade, ten tank battalions, one flame tank battalion) rested for most of this period, and then pushed east to Nagoya and Tsi.
    Operations are being hindered by a need to detach combat units to garrison cities behind my advance in the face of a growing partisan movement, and savage IJA counterattacks.

* = 9th Australian, 5th USMC, 11th Airborne, 6th US Infantry.
    ** = 18th Australian Brigade, five USMC regiments

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I have assigned the B-29s to attack the Japanese oil industry.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
    Allies 19.115 aircraft (+406), 1550 ships (+20); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 26,036 aircraft (+626) and 1439 ships (+28), including the BBs Fugo, Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Nagato, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Aso, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Kasagi, Taiho, Zuikoku.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• I think I'm going to have to buy this game...I have the older version (the newest version of the free download from the MatrixGames site), and play it frequently.

Sounds like the war is going very much in your favor, my friend! The only gripe I have is the wrong names for some of the IJN ships you listed as sunk (being an IJN nut I am a stickler for such things; hope that's not how they're spelled in the game!).

Correct names:
      CVs - Akagi, Hiyo, Hiryu, Zuikaku

BBs - Fuso, Haruna, Yamato
      SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• I agree with you Matt, I too have the latest download from matrix but this new version sounds to good to misss.

Damn you AJ.

Now I need to Grovel (sweet talk) to her in doors for the money...

BTW you should be getting commission from matrix for the great exposure you have given the game, you have done them proud and I have really enjoyed the reports.
        An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
          I think I'm going to have to buy this game...I have the older version (the newest version of the free download from the MatrixGames site), and play it frequently.

Sounds like the war is going very much in your favor, my friend! The only gripe I have is the wrong names for some of the IJN ships you listed as sunk (being an IJN nut I am a stickler for such things; hope that's not how they're spelled in the game!).

Correct names:
          CVs - Akagi, Hiyo, Hiryu, Zuikaku

BBs - Fuso, Haruna, Yamato
          The errors are likely mine-the print on the sunk list is small, and my monitor is getting old. Come to think of it, so am I.

I've played the early games as well, and this is markedly better. They've set it up so you can automate routine logistics, and the AI is a LOT tougher.

Make sure you get the current patch, it makes a difference.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baztanz View Post
            I agree with you Matt, I too have the latest download from matrix but this new version sounds to good to misss.

Damn you AJ.

Now I need to Grovel (sweet talk) to her in doors for the money...

BTW you should be getting commission from matrix for the great exposure you have given the game, you have done them proud and I have really enjoyed the reports.
            I'm glad you enjoy them. It has added a new dimension to the game for me to have an 'audience'. All the more so when in crisis, or the time I lost four CVs.

I'm sure Matrix has a gift certificate in the mail for me as I speak...

Comment

• 1-15 March 1945

The defenders of Rangoon lasted three days, and my forces are now assembling on the outskirts of Pagu. From the ease of the victory I am assuming a major logistics crunch for the IJA. I plan to push more & harder as soon as a convoy arrives in Rangoon with engineers & aviation support troops.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): I attempted to deliver troops, including most of the Australian I Corps, to Kobe, which is less than a hundred miles behind the front. The troops got ashore, but shipping losses forced me to move the next landings west to Hiroshima.
              At the end of this period I did move four sub tenders and a dozen subs into Kobe.
              Task Force North (three Marine regiments, one Army regiment, one Cavalry regiment, three battalions of artillery, four battalions of tanks) are still advancing towards Kanazawa to cover the flank, but the mountains and constant counter-attacks have slowed them to a crawl.
              Task Force South (seven divisions*, eight regiments of infantry**, fifteen battalions of artillery, one tank brigade, twelve tank battalions, one flame tank battalion) took Nagoya and Tsi. 50,000 IJA and IJN troops were surrounded at Tsi and wiped out in a bloody fight that lasted this entire period. Hamamastu was seized by coup through a fast-moving armored column. TFS is badly scattered, and will need to be reassembled before the advance can be resumed
              Partisan activity is worse, and four more regiments have been transported in solely for garrison duty.

* = 9th Australian, 5th USMC, 11th Airborne, 1st Cavalry, 6th, 41st, and 96th US Infantry.

** = 4 Australian brigades, four USMC regiments

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I have assigned the B-29s to attack the Japanese oil industry.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
              Allies 19,115 aircraft (+832), 1632 ships (+82); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 27,864 aircraft (+1828) and 1490 ships (+51), including the BBs Fuso, Haruna, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Nagato, Yamato, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akagi, Aso, Hiyo, Hiryu, Junyo, Kasagi, Taiho, Zuikaku.

I am feeling the pressure; political pressure to end the war by September is growing, while combat losses in the heavy fighting is keeping my victory point level at ‘minor’.

Comment

• How many CLs, CAs, & CVEs has the IJN lost now?

And Hyuga is misspelled as well...just noticed that too. Best of luck in the final days of the war!
                Last edited by Matt Jones; 28 Apr 13, 21:39.
                SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

How many CLs, CAs, & CVEs has the IJN lost now?

And Hyuga is misspelled as well...just noticed that too. Best of luck in the final days of the war!
                  Four CVE.

Nine CA.

Fifteen CL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                    I'm glad you enjoy them. It has added a new dimension to the game for me to have an 'audience'. All the more so when in crisis, or the time I lost four CVs.

I'm sure Matrix has a gift certificate in the mail for me as I speak...
                    This often the case in strategy gaming, keeping a (public) AAR with your thoughts and reasoning adds to the enjoyment for some reason.

Enjoyable read, tnx.
                    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• Matrix started a Deal of the Week sale. I would keep an eye out on their site. Who knows, maybe Witp AE will show up.

Comment

• 16-31 March 1945

The Rangoon convoy was badly shot up, but the troops got ashore and I now have air power. Pegu fell easily enough.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): Task Force North (three Marine regiments, one Army regiment, one Cavalry regiment, three battalions of artillery, four battalions of tanks) took Kanazawa to cover the flank, and are in the process of shifting further east.
                        Task Force South (fourteen divisions*, four Australian brigades, fifteen battalions of artillery, one tank brigade, twelve tank battalions, one flame tank battalion) rested and regrouped for most of this period, finally advancing to Yokohama.

* = 9th Australian, 5th USMC, 11th Airborne, 1st Cavalry, 6th, 7th, 27th, 32nd, 33rd, 38th, 41st,77th, 93rd and 96th US Infantry.

Allies 20,429 aircraft (+1314), 1691 ships (+59); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 29,431aircraft (+1567) and 1519 ships (+29), including the BBs Fuso, Haruna, Hyuga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Nagato, Yamato, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akagi, Aso, Hiyo, Hiryu, Junyo, Kasagi, Taiho, Zuikaku.

I am feeling the pressure; political pressure to end the war by September is growing, while combat losses in the heavy fighting is keeping my victory point level at ‘minor’.

Comment

• Sounds like the nuclear option may be in your future

Comment

• Originally posted by Fitz505 View Post
                            Sounds like the nuclear option may be in your future
                            Having committed our forces to an invasion of Japan I shall not employ the A bomb. To do otherwise would expose my entire handling of the theater to criticism from both political parties.

No, we must forge ahead and show the world the determination and courage that has brought us to the very slopes of Mount [insert name of famous mountain in Japan here]!

Comment

I think I'm going to have to buy this game...I have the older version (the newest version of the free download from the MatrixGames site), and play it frequently.
                              Yeah, the AE version is remarkable....highly recommended. It implemented a lot of needed changes and added a bunch new ones. The economic system for the Japanese is a game to itself.

Comment

• Yeah I wopuld love to see the AAR from the japanese side, now that would be a hoot.

Still going strong there AJ, hang in there.
                                An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X