Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrix Game's War in the Pacific, and my epic tale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-15 November 1944

CBI Theater: China requires no real input from me.
    Light, inconclusive fighting in Burma.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): My troops went ashore at Kanoya on Kyushu in the face of a blizzard of kamikaze attacks. The troops unloaded smartly, and took the city quickly. I have built up a large (by PTO standards) armored force, which gives me a distinct advantage against the IJA. P-38L and Js flew long-range CAP, and Corsairs were flown in before the airfields were fully operational. The losses amongst shipping was heavy, but in the long run that will not matter: for the first time, there will be no need to extract an invasion force for use elsewhere. All I need is a foothold and airfields and the ground troops can do the rest.
    Scouting forces for my main force have reached the outskirts of Kagoshima, the next target, while a screening force has reached Oita.
    Interestingly, while the amphib TFs were hit hard, the BB bombardment TF and the two air combat TFs that roved the coastlines in support took no significant damage.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I now have fourteen squadrons of B-29s operating out of Guam and Saipan. Nagoya remained this month’s target, and had a daily fire level ranging from 500 to 5000.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
    Allies 15,023 aircraft (+907), 1354 ships (+124); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 20,048 aircraft (+2726) and 973 ships (+35), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

What is interesting is that in this two-week period the Japanese lost as many aircraft as they did in the period December ’41 to July ’42.

Screenshot attached for reference.
    Attached Files
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Do you have loss stats for personnel or just equipment?

Comment

• Just ships & planes. I can check individual units and see what their strength is, and there is a point value for ground force losses, but there is no actual count.

From the stats I have, my losses in individual troops is high, but units as a whole are holding up well. IJA losses are staggering, all the more so because I'm clearly up against less-than-expert infantry.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• 16-30 November 1944

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): Kagoshima fell, but when I attempted to clear is harbor of mines the entire TF was sunk by Japanese air. I drove on, taking Kumamoto, Kunume, and (still contested) Nagasaki, as well as Oita on the west coast. The fighting is very bitter, but the Japanese AFVs are greatly inferior to ours, and their infantry do not have the staying power we have seen in the past.
          The good roads mean my forces move far faster than the IJA, which cannot regroup after one fight before the next starts. One armored battle group wiped out a IJN SNLF while it was still in transit to the front.
          I got one convoy in at the very start of the period, but then conventional bombing attacks flattened Kanoya, the only port I hold that isn’t mined. After ten days of constant air attacks, I finally got a second convoy into the hastily-repaired port.
          Anti-shipping operations were heavy; we bagged a CV and at least 8 subs, and lost six subs of our own.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I now have fourteen squadrons of B-29s operating out of Guam and Saipan, and twelve of B-24s operating out of Okinawa. I switched the B-29s to daylight raids and the entire force is aimed at Tokyo, but the results are not the best.

Other news: The California, under way from Pearl to Portland for further repairs of the damage suffered on 12-7-41, was torpedoed by a IJN sub.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
          Allies 15,862 aircraft (+839), 1377 ships (+22); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 21,115 aircraft (+1097 and 1056 ships (+83), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Kasagi, Taiho, Zuikoku.

Screenshot attached for reference.
          Attached Files

Comment

• 1-15 December 1944

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): We took & cleared Nagasaki and took Fukuoka but are bogged down in clearing it. Mobile forces have crossed to the ‘mainland’, but IJA counter-attacks are fierce.
            I tried another minesweeper TF; it cleared Kagoshima, but losses were 5 out of 6 vessels. I am preparing a major reinforcement TF, as Japanese airpower, while formidable, is clearly waning.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I have grounded the planes while we rebuild strength, as the losses have been too heavy.

Allies 16,599 aircraft (+737), 1466 ships (+89); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 21,115 aircraft (+1097 and 1056 ships (+83), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Kasagi, Taiho, Zuikoku.

Comment

• Do you feel that you are getting bogged down? It seems that the ground war is getting tougher.

Comment

• Originally posted by StellarRat View Post
                Do you feel that you are getting bogged down? It seems that the ground war is getting tougher.
                I think I'm doing rather well, given the ferocity of the resistance.

The biggest challenge for me at this point is shifting from an extremely careful management of ships to a ground & land-based air focus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  I think I'm doing rather well, given the ferocity of the resistance.
                  "ferocity of the resistance" -That's what I meant. Is the resistance starting to slow you down? One of the big fears for Truman was cost and time involved with taking Japan. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the resistance becomes so much that things bog down. You can do a great job and still things could slow to a crawl.

Comment

• Originally posted by StellarRat View Post
                    "ferocity of the resistance" -That's what I meant. Is the resistance starting to slow you down? One of the big fears for Truman was cost and time involved with taking Japan. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the resistance becomes so much that things bog down. You can do a great job and still things could slow to a crawl.
                    I see.

Supply is really starting to bog me down. The kamakzies and 'do-or-die' bombing raids make it hard to keep captuted ports open, and airfields operateing. It looks like they suicide-ram my planes, too.

We're paying in pixated blood for every hex gained, that is for certain.

Kyushu (the large island at the end of the chain) is frmly in our hands, but I think the real fight is just starting.

Comment

• 16-31 December 1944

Burma is quiet.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): The main island has a north highway and a south, both following the coast. Armored forces grabbed Matsue on the north road by rapid movement, and are securing it to protect my flank while the main force moves on the south road. There we took Tokuyama and reached the outskirts of Hiroshima. My supply situation is poor, the Japanese are pounding the captured ports & airfields, and resistance is stiffening.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I have grounded the planes while we rebuild strength, as the losses have been too heavy.

Allies 17,250 aircraft (+651), 1495 ships (+29); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 23,461 aircraft (+2346) and 1193 ships (+137), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Kasagi, Taiho, Zuikoku.

The first P-51Ds are seeing combat in Japan this period.
                      Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 26 Apr 13, 19:57.

Comment

• 1-15 January 1945

Burma is quiet.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): The main island has a north highway and a south, both following the coast. Task Force North (two Marine regiments, one Army Parachute Regiment, one Cavalry regiment, two battalions of artillery, three battalions of tanks) secures my flank from a position 45 miles east of Matsue.
                        Task Force South (three divisions*, ten regiments of infantry**, twelve battalions of artillery, one tank brigade, nine tank battalions) took Hiroshima after twelve days of bloody fighting and is in the process of closing on Okayama.
                        We bagged a CV and various small craft with the growing numbers of land-based air.

* = 9th Australian, 5th USMC, 11th Airborne.
                        ** = 18th Australian Brigade, nine USMC regiments

Allies 17,611 aircraft (+351), 1498 ships (+3); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 23,835 aircraft (+374) and 1244 ships (+51), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Aso, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Kasagi, Taiho, Zuikoku.

The point spread has now reached the point where I am operating with a Minor Victory level.

I was disappointed with the aircraft exchange rate, although it is possible the Japanese are starting to run low.

I have attached a current screenshot.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• I wonder how the AI determines the the Japanese pilot skill level. At this point in the war, your pilots should eating Japanese aviation for lunch.
                          Have you run into any of the more advanced aircraft, other than the Zero, that Japan produced towards the end of the war?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fitz505 View Post
                            I wonder how the AI determines the the Japanese pilot skill level. At this point in the war, your pilots should eating Japanese aviation for lunch.
                            Have you run into any of the more advanced aircraft, other than the Zero, that Japan produced towards the end of the war?
                            Well, I'm averaging a 3:1 kill ratio overall, but AA fire is really tearing me up. But I've got squadrons which had staggering kill totals, so it looks pretty accurate.

A few of the newer sort have been sighted, although the fog of war prevents me from detailed assessments of missions.

What models are you referring to? I can get those off the master Loss Charts.

Comment

• 16-31 January 1945

In Burma I mounted a number of successful counter-attacks, but my supply network won’t support more.

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): The main island has a north highway and a south, both following the coast. Task Force North (two Marine regiments, one Army Parachute Regiment, one Cavalry regiment, two battalions of artillery, three battalions of tanks) secures my flank from a position 45 miles east of Tottori, having taken that town to match my advance.
                              Task Force South (three divisions*, nine regiments of infantry**, twelve battalions of artillery, one tank brigade, eight tank battalions) took Okayama after eleven days of bloody fighting and is in the process of closing on Osaka.
                              Operations are being hindered by a need to detach combat units to garrison cities behind my advance in the face of a growing partisan movement, and savage IJA counterattacks.

I have run two transport TFs in to the far west side of the captured area; Japanese air strikes are much smaller, and my air & AA defenses kept losses low. However, it means fresh units have to travel a great deal to reach the front.

I cleared off two ungarrisoned islands to ensure my supply vessels had a clear run. It was probably unnecessary, but better safe than sorry.

** = 18th Australian Brigade, eight USMC regiments

Allies 18,203 aircraft (+588), 1522 ships (+24); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 24,859 aircraft (+1024) and 1344 ships (+100), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Aso, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Kasagi, Taiho, Zuikoku.

Comment

• 1-15 February 1945

Operation Typhoon (the invasion of Japan): The main island has a north highway and a south, both following the coast. Task Force North (three Marine regiments, one Army Parachute Regiment, one Cavalry regiment, two battalions of artillery, four battalions of tanks) took Maizuru, having taken that town to match my advance.
                                Task Force South (three divisions*, nine regiments of infantry**, fifteen battalions of artillery, one tank brigade, ten tank battalions, one flame tank battalion) took Osaka after thirteen days of bloody fighting which has left in need of an extended rest.
                                Operations are being hindered by a need to detach combat units to garrison cities behind my advance in the face of a growing partisan movement, and savage IJA counterattacks.
                                The weakening Japanese air power has allowed me to bring fresh troops in at Fukuoka 180 miles closer to the front.

I sent a TF against a IJN bombardment force, and bagged two BBs as well as smaller vessels.

** = 18th Australian Brigade, eight USMC regiments

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I have assigned the B-29s to attack the Japanese oil industry.

Allies 18,709 aircraft (+506), 1530 ships (+8); including the BBs Alabama, California, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 25,410 aircraft (+551) and 1411 ships (+67), including the BBs Fugo, Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Nagato, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Aso, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Kasagi, Taiho, Zuikoku.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X