Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrix Game's War in the Pacific, and my epic tale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I now have ten squadrons of B-29s operating out of Guam and Saipan. I can't see that they are doing a lot of damage, but every bit helps.
    What exactly does the "fire level" mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by StellarRat View Post
      What exactly does the "fire level" mean?
      Basically it reflects the Lemay tactic of going in low, at night, with firebombs, in the attempt to create a firestorm. The higher the 'fire level', the greater the scope of the fires you started and the longer it takes for them to be put out. While there are fires, the city's strategic services & industry are taking damage.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Basically it reflects the Lemay tactic of going in low, at night, with firebombs, in the attempt to create a firestorm. The higher the 'fire level', the greater the scope of the fires you started and the longer it takes for them to be put out. While there are fires, the city's strategic services & industry are taking damage.
        So, is Tokyo totally burnt out now? It seems like the fire level has been lower since your 3000+ raid.

Comment

So, is Tokyo totally burnt out now? It seems like the fire level has been lower since your 3000+ raid.
          No, apparently a real firestorm has to hit a much higher number. Due to bad weather I switched to a neighboring city (Nakoya?) but am not having a lot of luck. The B-29 was very buggy in its early service, so I'm not expecting a lot.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• So, is Tokyo totally burnt out now? It seems like the fire level has been lower since your 3000+ raid.
            So fried rice is becoming a staple diet in Tokoya and Nogoya huh.
            An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

• Originally posted by Baztanz View Post
              So fried rice is becoming a staple diet in Tokoya and Nogoya huh.
              And I thought I was displaying bad taste with naming the bomber program Operation Godzilla!

Comment

• And I thought I was displaying bad taste with naming the bomber program Operation Godzilla!
                Oh no I can be expected to lower the tone of any toasting ... er party
                An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

• Eventually Rimmer will get nukes (unless he wins earlier.) I suppose that will be THE END.

Comment

Eventually Rimmer will get nukes (unless he wins earlier.) I suppose that will be THE END.
                    Depends on the point spread. If you use the A-bombs, it ends the conflict but you get a point penalty, so if you haven't done well conventionally, using the A bombs can put you in a loss category.

Comment

• I suppose that is a way to keep the game interesting. Realistically, the US could have won the war on both fronts by only capturing enough territory to get the B-29 within range of most of Germany and Japan. Of course, they didn't know that the A-bomb would work or when so that wasn't a valid strategy at the time. That's why I always laugh about all these wild "well if" scenarios about the Axis somehow holding on and winning the war. In the end it all comes down to the atomic bomb. I have no doubt it would have been used against Germany had they held on longer. So, they are actually LUCKY they surrendered before that.

Comment

• 1-30 September 1944

CBI Theater: China requires no real input from me.
                        Light, inconclusive fighting in Burma.

The North Pacific: The B-24s are pounding Iwo. The invasion of Naha, Okinawa launched. Three waves (268 ships in total) and a week of heavy fighting secured the base. P-47s flying long CAP from Daito Shoto proved to be extremely valuable. Many of the nearby islands are not garrisoned, and I captured Kume-Jima without resistance.

At Guam I have 13 CV, 10 CVL, 27 CVE, 11 BB, 2 BC.

Pearl Harbor (the strategic reserve): I have 2 CVs and 2 BBs.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I now have fourteen squadrons of B-29s operating out of Guam and Saipan, and two squadrons of B-24s operating out of Okinawa. Nagoya was this month’s target, and had a daily fire level ranging from 200 to 1350.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
                        Allies 13,298 aircraft (+473), 1203 ships (+45); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 17,008 aircraft (+843) and 870 ships (+36), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Guam:
                        1) In the Okinawa islands take Naha, Nago, Kume-Jima, Okin, Tobin, and Amani. (UNDERWAY)
                        2) Close off the East China Sea-this may be accomplished through air power, or taking small islands to either flank.
                        3) Examine Japanese air and defense levels, and look at the islands of Saishi To and Tsushima for isolation efforts.
                        4) Secure the route to Kyushu.

Comment

• 1-15 October 1944

The North Pacific: Being ungarrisoned, I was able to snap up the small neighboring islands of Okin & Tobin; they are not large, but they will be useful for basing anti-shipping air. My troops traveled across Okinawa and seized Nago after heavy fighting. Further actions have been prevented by the logistical effort of moving my base forward to Naha, a shortage of fuel at the cutting edge, and a shortage of engineers (five battalions were deployed in this period). Tankers and more engineers are on their way, but my supply line is of considerable length, even with the shortening effect of clearing Marcus Island.

Pearl Harbor (the strategic reserve): I have 2 CVs and 3 BBs.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I now have fourteen squadrons of B-29s operating out of Guam and Saipan, and three squadrons of B-24s operating out of Okinawa. Nagoya was this month’s target, and had a daily fire level ranging from 200 to 5000.

Losses to date: (Not counting the losses at Pearl Harbor) ‘+#’ is the losses in this period.
                          Allies 13,630 aircraft (+362), 1208 ships (+5); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 18,322 aircraft (+1314) and 913 ships (+43), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

My Plan, post-Guam:
                          1) In the Okinawa islands take Naha, Nago, Kume-Jima, Okin, Tobin, and Amani Oshima. (UNDERWAY)
                          2) Examine Japanese air and defense levels, and look at the islands of Saishi To and Tsushima for isolation efforts.
                          3) Secure the route to Kyushu.

Firming up my plan is greatly hindered by a shortage of recon aircraft at the cutting edge. My only squadron of Mosquitos just arrived on Okinawa at the end of this period, and my recon B-27s (F-7s) are still based in the Marinas.

Comment

• Does the game allow you to see what,if any,losses the B29s are suffering?
                            How does that match up to reality?
                            By the way,this is one of the best reads on this forum,keep it up!
                            Fascinating.

Comment

• Originally posted by flash View Post
                              Does the game allow you to see what,if any,losses the B29s are suffering?
                              How does that match up to reality?
                              By the way,this is one of the best reads on this forum,keep it up!
                              Fascinating.
                              Thanks!

Yes, every squadron read-out lists this. This is the data on the 8 units at Guam-note that I have rotated some battered units back while replacing them with fresh units, so not all have the same number of missions.

Numbers are Operational losses*-written off due to damage-losses to aircraft-losses to AA-claims of enemy fighters shot down

2-0-7-0-19
                              1-0-8-7-24
                              2-1-9-2-24
                              4-1-11-2-29
                              2-0-6-4-10
                              0-0-10-1-17
                              0-0-4-0-14
                              0-0-0-0-1

* accidents

I've attached a squadron pop-up data block.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• 16-31 October 1944

The North Pacific: Amani Oshima was stormed and secured. The rest of the time was devoted in bringing up supplies, fuel, combat troops, and engineers. The preparations are not complete.
                                The first ‘special squadrons’, suicide aircraft called kamikazes, made their appearance in this period. They only sank a couple ships, but they damaged many more, and my repair facilities are crowded, especially since I decided to upgrade my CVEs with more AA guns.

At Naha I have 13 CVs, 7 CVLs, 28 CVEs, 12 BBs, 2 BCs.

Pearl Harbor (the strategic reserve): I have 2 CVs and 3 BBs.

Operation Godzilla, the SLRB program: I now have fourteen squadrons of B-29s operating out of Guam and Saipan. Nagoya remained this month’s target, and had a daily fire level ranging from 500 to 5000.

Allies 14,116 aircraft (+486), 1225 ships (+17); including the BBs Alabama, Pennsylvania, CVL Hermes, CVs Hornet, Lexington, Wasp, Yorktown.

Japanese 18,322 aircraft (+668) and 938 ships (+25), including the BBs Haruma, Hyunga, Ise, Kirishima, Kongo, Musashi, Mutsu, Yamoto, CVLs Ryujo, Shoho, CVs Akaji, Higo, Hiryo, Junyo, Taiho, Zuikoku.

Operation Typhoon:
                                1) Seize the port of Kyushu.
                                2) Attack up both highways, converting captured bases to house my land-based air as we go. Focus ship movement as supply runs to secure ports only, to minimize the damage inflicted by kamikaze attacks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X