Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Command Matrix Edition: - my mini review Part 2

SUPPLY

A unit traces a supply line to its Battalion HQ, which traces supply to its divisional HQ which traces supply to a hex or hexes on the edge of the map.

In a traditional wargame, when a unit crosses a hex, even if the hex is not occupied, the hex now changes its ownership to the side that last crossed it. The opponent cannot draw supply through that hex.

In Combat Command an opponent can still draw supply through that hex. This makes for a very fluid game as units can move back and forth without any great supply concerns.

The only restrictions on supply are that supply cannot be drawn through a hex occupied by an enemy unit, through the ZOC of an enemy unit or across a major river without a bridge.

PHASES.
    Each turn is split into phases and each side goes through one phase at a time. Some phases are resolved automatically so that from the players point of view the phases are:

Movement
    Direct Fire
    Attack Phase
    Advance / Withdrawl phase

EDITOR

The scenario editor is very easy to use. Possibly the easiest in wargaming.

The following screen shots are taken from the editor and I feel are self explanatory.

The next screen shot is from the Guadacanal scenario

The next is a portion of the Stalingrad map in the autumn with the units removed from the map

The next is from the Hurtegon Forest

A screen shot from Carentan

And finally one from Bastogne

CONCLUSION
    This wargame is inexpensive and very simple. It is a joy to play!

Joe,

Does game include the early nations and their kit? Can one build Polish, Belgian or French scenarios?

Cheers
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Yes you can.

In the editor you can give each unit a name.

And any variables you wish

So, you can create units for any country you wish.

Maybe even a scenario where Japan invades New Zealand!

Comment

Thanks again Joe but do the units actually represent French equipment, morale, effectiveness. Or are all coys generic and any one of a particular type (inf, para, mech, for example) or are the actually differentiated by nationality and the weapons that made up a coy?

I look for realism in any game and an operational one needs to be accurate more so than a strategic.

Cheers.
        The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Its a wargame and the units are represented by counters.

You can give them any variables that you wish.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X