Civilization V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization V

I just picked Civilization V up yesterday. So far, I really like it.

Anyone else playing this?
    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

I played it for some time.

All in all it has 3 - 5 nice new ideas compared to Civ IV, but about 100+ less nice ideas which had been part of Civ IV.
    Not to mention that the game constantly crashes on my DX11 Geforce 560 ti system every time when leaders should show up (Nvidia and Firaxis blame each other for this).
    Only soltution: disable animated leaders (and they are one of the nicer features of Civ V).
    I will think twice before i buy any new version of Civilization.
    CIV 4 is still very good, and CIV V really pushed me away from the series.
    A not properly working game, but tons of DLC.
    Amazing that the developers have time to think of way to get even more money from their customers, but no time or ressources to fix the game so that i runs without black screens.
    Last edited by xwormwood; 23 Oct 11, 17:10.
    "You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die"
    (George MacDonald)

Comment

I have this as well and am very disappointed. It never occured to me that a Civ game could be bad. Each iteration has been an improvement on the last... until V.

I bought it the day it came out and have yet to finish a single game. It is just boring and in no way better than IV. (Which I continue to play.)

More than just a problem with this game, I am completely turned off by any game supported by Steam. Graphically these new games are pretty. But the game play and the quirks are many steps backward. Maybe as much of 10 years back.
      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
      _________
      BoRG

Comment

Weird.

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with crashes or the like.

I thought the game was basically a streamlined, prettier version of Civ IV. I really like the social policies and cities seem to manage themselves pretty well. Only thing I've really needed to do with them was choose what they were building.

I also like the new combat system.

Overall, I'm enjoying it.
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I got the game and enjoyed it for a while but the bad AI and my computer's lack of graphical capabilities ruined it for me. I did enjoy the addition of hexes into the game.

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

I never decided to go for Civ after I got Civ 3, since all it seems like to me is a Total War game, minus the actual war...Just a lot of geography, diplomacy, and tech trees. Not to bash the game, I know many people absolutely love them, and Civ 5 doesn't look all that bad, but for me I just wouldn't really be interested.
            "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

I still play civ4 warlords. Wich is pretty good in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by TankMaster View Post
                I still play civ4 warlords. Wich is pretty good in my opinion.
                That one beat me just yesterday - a barb warrior + archer took my - stupidly - only-defended-by-one-warrior second city,

Montezuma noticed my decline in power declared war, and a couple of turns later it was all over.

Very few games can actually do that

Havn't played V though.
                Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                  ..I am completely turned off by any game supported by Steam..
                  Me too, I won't buy any Steam game

Comment

I too refuse to purchase Steam games so Civ V, Total War, Elder Scrolls etc are off my to-buy list. Too bad those games cant give you a choice of a non-steam version for those of us that dont care about multiplayer.

Comment

Have all Civs, right back to originals, including expansions and scenario disks. Civ IV was the high-water mark of the series. Civ 5 lasted for less than three games for me before gathering virtual dust on my HD.

Hexes - the way of the future for the series (I hope). Most everything else in Civ 5 just didn't seem to gel. I am now looking for my old Civ 4 DVDs to satisfy an itch that Civ 5 caused, but was unable to satisfy...
                      "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

I just got Civ 5 in a steam sale a few months back. I have only played for 50 hours but I like it. The game is not as complex or deep as Civ 4 but that is okay with me to be honest. I was able to just jump in and start playing the game. I did learn as the game went but i didn't feel like I would have to play for 12 hours just to "learn" the game.

I won a "World Game" with England and am now playing the Viking X-Pack.

I would advise all of you to go to the mods through the game and find one of the "Real World" mods. There are a couple and one is a much bigger map than the other. They really helped me play as I like it to be semi historical.

All in all I got the game and all the X-Packs except 2 for $8. Steam is great and I have crashes now and then but from my research it isn't steam, it is the normal game.
                        Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

-Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Like others here I didn't find Civ 5 a good game. Civ 4 was a far better game. It allows you to stack units on the same square which has been the norm for all of Sid Meier's games. My favorite one was actually Alpha Centauri.
                          The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Anyone think Civ VI will get it right, and put the series back on track?
                            "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

I stopped caring. Every Civ game I've owned all the way back to II has been snapped in half. III had this horrible city rebellion thing where you had to effectively conquer nearly every city twice. IV had too many religions, thus too many additional buildings to waste time on, and a combat system where you had to buy everything lest the defenders have an overwhelming advantage. Adding unit specializations and promotions was not a good idea, because it means you have to click the mouse a bunch of times to get a new unit up and operational instead of just once. I call this game design flaw "vectorization," where something that would have been just fine as 1 quantity is turned into 5 or 6 quantities so you have to waste time mentally masturbating pointlessly on all the possible interactions. It doesn't make the game better, it just makes it take longer, which from a Skinnerian Conditioning standpoint is often what the game developers have in mind. I played the demo of V extensively and decided that despite the streamlined one-unit-per-hex stacking limit, it was more of the same. The series has an inherent tedium factor which admittedly has made it popular, with all those city improvements and whatnot, but for an old hand it's just too much of a slog to bother with anymore. I can only do 3 or 4 hours of mouseclicking anymore before calling it quits.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X