Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioTitan
    replied
    You should try Warlock: Master of the Arcane. It's basically just like Civ V only with magic, and each civilization is a different race of sorts. They're giving out a bunch of copies on TechZwn.

Leave a comment:

• ForIAmSparticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Jestre View Post
    I too refuse to purchase Steam games so Civ V, Total War, Elder Scrolls etc are off my to-buy list. Too bad those games cant give you a choice of a non-steam version for those of us that dont care about multiplayer.
    Why does everyone hate steam games?

Leave a comment:

• CompTopGames
    replied
    I have been a huge Civ fan since I was a kid and signed out Civ 1 at the town library...

I just started playing Civ 5 again after about a year's absence. I must say that the beginning of the game is what I really love, as it definitely slows down toward the Renaissance and Industrial periods. They used to stress that you could compete for a victory even with just 3 or 4 cities, but I have yet to find that to be the case. Also, war seems a little TOO inevitable and my neighbors attack me no matter how civil I am to them!

Leave a comment:

• Thickwilde2012
    replied
    CIV 5 really pushed tactics when they implemented the "no unit stacking" feature.

That gave me nightmares in 4 when "oh look it's only 1 musket man...nope, wait...its 7 war elephants, 10 musket men, and a chariot ( for some reason )"

Aside from that, I love the way 5 looks and feels, but I'm still kinda sad they took out the religious, government, etc, panels you could change.

Base vote, I love civ

Leave a comment:

• AdrianE
    replied
    Originally posted by bvanevery View Post
    III had this horrible city rebellion thing where you had to effectively conquer nearly every city twice.
    That was a brilliant innovation not a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Navalava
    replied
    I played Civ I to IV, but not V. I am fan of earlier versions, so after civ IV I probably won't be trying this one.

Leave a comment:

• bvanevery
    replied
    I stopped caring. Every Civ game I've owned all the way back to II has been snapped in half. III had this horrible city rebellion thing where you had to effectively conquer nearly every city twice. IV had too many religions, thus too many additional buildings to waste time on, and a combat system where you had to buy everything lest the defenders have an overwhelming advantage. Adding unit specializations and promotions was not a good idea, because it means you have to click the mouse a bunch of times to get a new unit up and operational instead of just once. I call this game design flaw "vectorization," where something that would have been just fine as 1 quantity is turned into 5 or 6 quantities so you have to waste time mentally masturbating pointlessly on all the possible interactions. It doesn't make the game better, it just makes it take longer, which from a Skinnerian Conditioning standpoint is often what the game developers have in mind. I played the demo of V extensively and decided that despite the streamlined one-unit-per-hex stacking limit, it was more of the same. The series has an inherent tedium factor which admittedly has made it popular, with all those city improvements and whatnot, but for an old hand it's just too much of a slog to bother with anymore. I can only do 3 or 4 hours of mouseclicking anymore before calling it quits.

Leave a comment:

• Mantis
    replied
    Anyone think Civ VI will get it right, and put the series back on track?

Leave a comment:

• Frtigern
    replied
    Like others here I didn't find Civ 5 a good game. Civ 4 was a far better game. It allows you to stack units on the same square which has been the norm for all of Sid Meier's games. My favorite one was actually Alpha Centauri.

Leave a comment:

• InfinitusOdium
    replied
    I just got Civ 5 in a steam sale a few months back. I have only played for 50 hours but I like it. The game is not as complex or deep as Civ 4 but that is okay with me to be honest. I was able to just jump in and start playing the game. I did learn as the game went but i didn't feel like I would have to play for 12 hours just to "learn" the game.

I won a "World Game" with England and am now playing the Viking X-Pack.

I would advise all of you to go to the mods through the game and find one of the "Real World" mods. There are a couple and one is a much bigger map than the other. They really helped me play as I like it to be semi historical.

All in all I got the game and all the X-Packs except 2 for $8. Steam is great and I have crashes now and then but from my research it isn't steam, it is the normal game.

Leave a comment:

• Mantis
    replied
    Have all Civs, right back to originals, including expansions and scenario disks. Civ IV was the high-water mark of the series. Civ 5 lasted for less than three games for me before gathering virtual dust on my HD.

Hexes - the way of the future for the series (I hope). Most everything else in Civ 5 just didn't seem to gel. I am now looking for my old Civ 4 DVDs to satisfy an itch that Civ 5 caused, but was unable to satisfy...

Leave a comment:

• Jestre
    replied
    I too refuse to purchase Steam games so Civ V, Total War, Elder Scrolls etc are off my to-buy list. Too bad those games cant give you a choice of a non-steam version for those of us that dont care about multiplayer.

Leave a comment:

• Tungsten Kid
    replied
    Originally posted by Torien View Post
    ..I am completely turned off by any game supported by Steam..
    Me too, I won't buy any Steam game

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Originally posted by TankMaster View Post
    I still play civ4 warlords. Wich is pretty good in my opinion.
    That one beat me just yesterday - a barb warrior + archer took my - stupidly - only-defended-by-one-warrior second city,

Montezuma noticed my decline in power declared war, and a couple of turns later it was all over.

Very few games can actually do that

Havn't played V though.

Leave a comment:

• TankMaster
    replied
    I still play civ4 warlords. Wich is pretty good in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X