CWG2 install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWG2 install

Cannot get CWG2 running on win7 64 bit. I really am going through withdrawal since my old pc died.....

I don't play it but I'll try and help you. I need some more information from you though.

Can you install it? If not, does it give you any error message?

If it installs but you can't run it, does it give you an error message at start? Or does it crash when the game runs?

EDIT

Originally posted by jhayman View Post
    I got a new pc and it won't install CWG2 - says I have a wing problem. I have had no luck installing......help?
    Just noticed this post in one of the topics below.

Download this and then follow these instructions:
    If you are getting the WING32.DLL error then you need to install WINGDING to make Civil War Generals 2 work correctly. WINGDING is available as an attachment at the bottom of this topic. Download the WINGDING zipfile and save it to your desktop. Make a new folder on your desktop and UNZIP the downloaded file into the new folder. Open the new folder and click on the setup icon for wingding (SETUPWIG). The wingding will install itself to the correct directory once you click on it.
    It might also be worth it, if you haven't already, to run it under compatibility mode. Right click the cwg2 exe click properties > compatibility and click 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and experiment with each OS up to XP SP3.
    Last edited by Mackie; 04 Sep 11, 09:43.

Comment

Is ti a dos game?
      Wisdom is personal

Comment

Mackie - thanks for your reply on Win7 CWG problem - I did what you suggested but when I clicked the setupwig icon the error message said I needed to contact the software supplier for a 32 or 64 bit version of the game..... any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by jhayman View Post
          Mackie - thanks for your reply on Win7 CWG problem - I did what you suggested but when I clicked the setupwig icon the error message said I needed to contact the software supplier for a 32 or 64 bit version of the game..... any other ideas?
          OK

I read somewhere that a person got it running by starting the game from the CWG2 folder whereas using the shortcut didn't work. You could try that.

Did you try changing the compatibility settings?

Is it a DOS game? If so, you might be able to get it to run under Dosbox.

I managed to find a copy so I'll try this weekend to get it working.

Comment

Got it working.

Huzzah!

Details to follow later. It's midnight and I am sleepy.

Comment

CWG2 on Windows 7

OK, to get CWG2 to run on Windows 7 you need wing32.dll. The wingding install provided by CWG2 sites doesn't work and you shouldn't need to run it since the game just requires wing32.dll.

Apparently, in older operating systems games ran differently and it was replaced by DirectX. Wing32 was part of this older system.

In order to get wing32.dll go to this site and download it.

I tried placing this file in the CWG2 folder but the game didn't run. The dll file was installed in the wrong place.

So I moved it to C:\Windows\System32. That didn't work either.

My Win 7 is 64 bit so I moved wing32.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64. I started the game and it worked.

I am not sure but I guess SysWOW64 is only on 64 bit Windows 7. If you have 32 bit Windows 7 wing32.dll will go in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

The above will also probably work for Windows Vista 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.

When you start CWG2 it will not start in full screen but it will later on. Just press space to skip the video introduction (if you wish), wait for the credits to roll and menu to fully appear.
              Last edited by Mackie; 28 Sep 11, 05:19.

Comment

Thank you - it is now working!

Comment

Install cd

On my new computer with windows 7 pro I have windows xp mode. I can not complete the install on that or my computer at work that runs windows xp pro. My work computer had it prior to my hard drive crashing and having to be reformated. I install everything in the correct order, as I have done many times, but both say to install the cd. I have the cd but that doesn't work. And yes, I installed "no cd required". What do I do? Thanks.

Comment

Small install

I Finally installed the game but it comes up in a very small version and it can not be enlarged. Any way I can fix this? Thanks.

Comment

I love this game, it is one of my "gold games", games that I played when I was young and that marked my teen years game-wise. I've reinstalled it.

Comment

No CD Patch Problem

I am having a similar problem, I have done everything in the instructions, including unzipping the no cd patch into the pic folder, but when I start the game it still requires a cd. Is there any fix to this?

Comment

where do attachments on threads show up? trying to find the patch on this thread

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                            where do attachments on threads show up? trying to find the patch on this thread
                            Look for an underlined bit of text in Mackie's 4th one post. Click on that and it will take you to the site. EDIT: IT's Mackie's last post in this thread.
                            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie View Post
                              OK, to get CWG2 to run on Windows 7 you need wing32.dll. The wingding install provided by CWG2 sites doesn't work and you shouldn't need to run it since the game just requires wing32.dll.

Apparently, in older operating systems games ran differently and it was replaced by DirectX. Wing32 was part of this older system.

In order to get wing32.dll go to this site and download it.

I tried placing this file in the CWG2 folder but the game didn't run. The dll file was installed in the wrong place.

So I moved it to C:\Windows\System32. That didn't work either.

My Win 7 is 64 bit so I moved wing32.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64. I started the game and it worked.

I am not sure but I guess SysWOW64 is only on 64 bit Windows 7. If you have 32 bit Windows 7 wing32.dll will go in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

The above will also probably work for Windows Vista 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.

When you start CWG2 it will not start in full screen but it will later on. Just press space to skip the video introduction (if you wish), wait for the credits to roll and menu to fully appear.
                              I had no trouble getting the game to run on Vista without adding anything extra. I did run it as administrator but not sure that was required.
                              "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
                              Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X