Realtime editors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realtime editors

I like sim games very much, but I think the best thing you can incorporate in a simulation game is a realtime editor, it's so rare (except for arma and VBS2). Why don't people create more games like ARMA and VBS2 with user-friendly RTEs?

There is an RTE for ArmA2, but I've yet to figure it out. Can't seem to get the damned thing to load.
    "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by globetrotter View Post
      There is an RTE for ArmA2, but I've yet to figure it out. Can't seem to get the damned thing to load.
      The programmers always have to hide the RTEs from us, when you download it as an addon you have always update the game -losing the working crack-and having to download the extra files to run the game properly, not to mention the risk of damaging the original game files.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrotter
        Press Alt+E at the main menu to activate it Not sure if this is the main, main menu, or the main menu for the editor..Never got around to testing it myself.
        Though from what i've read it's still buggy, unpolished and there are issues with getting the missions to run, or cooperate with the 2d editor.
        To put it simply, it's there, it works..But I don't think they expected us to use it in it's current state.

Here's a couple of pics someone posted (in German)
        http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/588...1013500438.png
        http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8...1013524913.png

One of the devs even said that they were working in improving it and plan to include it in the editor properly later down the track. That was about 9 months ago though..

Originally posted by Wilpanzer
        Why don't people create more games like ARMA and VBS2 with user-friendly RTEs?
        I think it's the same reason why there are very few developers out there willing to even give us a normal editor program - They want to make more money.

If we buy a game that has no editing tools the only way to get more content is to wait for the devs to sell us more.
        However if we buy a game that comes with tools to allow us to edit units/maps/missions, with enough experience we could essentially make our own games. Most companies don't want that to be a possibility because they wouldn't be able to then sell you the sequel/expansion/DLC.

For Arma in particular, i believe the RTE was only 'hidden' (or rather, not announced) because it isn't fully finished/functional and they probably had no plan to include it as an advertised feature.

As for VBS - Firstly it should be pointed out that it still costs about $800 AUD so the customers deffinately deserve a more professional and functional set of tools.
        Personally i think they made the VBS2 RTE more user-friendly because it's a more essential tool for VBS users than it would be for Arma. In VBS it's used to assist training, creating ambushes to test responses, or IED attacks and so on.
        In Arma it would probably just be used while making missions to simplify a few steps. It's a similar story with the AAR that VBS2 has, some would love this feature (myself included) But along with the RTE it's one of the major selling points for VBS so it would be foolish to give these features to the civilians for their $30-50 version of the game.

That being said, we were also told that FLIR is only for VBS customers..Yet we've got it in OA so maybe in Arma3 we'll see a decent RTE (though i'd rather have the AAR).
        "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
        - Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X