Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anybody suggest a jet combat flight sim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody suggest a jet combat flight sim?

Can anybody recommend a good jet combat flight sim? I had Falcon Allied Force for years but it won't run any more since I updated my drivers, I don't really care because I was tired of it anyway.
    Are there any others out there?

Hi, check this one out. There should be a demo available. Falco250 ///

Comment

Which demo? I can't see a link in your post

Comment

Check out:

Lock On: Modern Air Combat

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_070a.html

(the link my get edited out by admin!)

Falco250 ///

Comment

Check out Strike Fighters: Project One and it's companion,Wings Over Vietnam.It's been out for a few years now.It's really a "survey sim" but it's a lot of fun,has tons of third party planes and stuff,and the planes look great.It focuses on the Cold War era.Here's a few screenshots:

Attached Files
          Last edited by Gixxer86g; 23 Mar 10, 07:52.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Here's a few more:

Attached Files
            Last edited by Gixxer86g; 23 Mar 10, 07:54.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Thanks guys, i'll check 'em out..
              At the moment I'm trying 'Wings over Europe' (below) which I bought last week and it seems ok so far, it's about medium complexity/realism and covers the Cold War through the 1960s to 80's and you get flyable aircraft from that area, each with its own avionics and weapons to match whatever year you choose, which is quite fun.
              Sadly I see Empire who produced it went out of business last year, so I dunno if there's a user's community forum anywhere.

PS- just for the record I managed to get my old 'Falcon:Allied Force' working again, I found in the readme that I had to insert the words 'nomovie' in the exe to stop it hanging at the intro movie.
              It's an ok sim but the ground rendering is not so hot.

EDIT- I just found that there is a forum community for Wings over Europe here-
              http://compsimgames.about.com/gi/o.h...thirdwire.com/
              Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 24 Mar 10, 03:46.

Comment

Strike Fighters:Project One and Wings Over Vietnam are also designed by Tsuyoshi Kawahito,the guy behind one of my favorite flight sims ever,European Air War.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

LOMAC is cool. But if it's realism you're looking for nothing I've seen beats Falcon 4.0 Allied Force.

If you chose to fly your missions from a parked powered down jet there are no less than 43 steps involved in cold starting your F-16. You'll then spend an additional 10 minutes more or less waiting for your navigation systems to align before you'll ever want to call the tower to request taxi to the runway.
                  The learning curve on the weapon systems, instrumentation and radar modes is immense. You will be blessed with a 740+page flight manual with which to get yourself started and unless you fly F-16s you should expect to do some serious reading. This is not the kind of game in which you should expect full mastery within a couple of weeks. It took me a week before I felt comfortable that I could safely land my jet consistantly and several more weeks before I took out my first in campaign air target.
                  I could have avoided a court martial in that particular case had I remembered and known how to request AWACS to declare the BOVR F-16 I had locked up.

It is in fact a true Combat Flight SIMULATOR in every sense of the terminology. Personally I consider it the most difficult to learn "game" I've ever played. But if you stick to it and really invest the time required to learn the systems it will pay off in spades as the mission builder is insane and you can build entire campaigns and download tons that others have created. It really never gets old.

Again, if you really want the realism you'll love F4AF. If you want moderate realism and a hella fun game go with LOMAC.

I know this is a hella old thread but obviously, I'm a HUGE fan!
                  Last edited by DoubleDose; 04 Dec 10, 20:34.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X