B-25 Gunship Sim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-25 Gunship Sim

Does anybody know of a B-25 gunship simulation? If there is no B-25 gunship simulator, why not. After all these years, no one can come up with this? The time is right for one and I hope that one comes out soon.

P-40 Petey
    P-40 Petey

Pappy Gunn's B-25s and A-20s on anti-shipping raids and attacks on Japanese airfields in New Guinea…With the 6 to 10 fifties or 75 mm cannon in the nose, skip-bombing and para-fragging...Lots of possibilities… That would be a cool sim!

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I'm thinking you can try your hand and it with Battlestations Midway... but I may be wrong. I only kept it around long enough to play through the campaigns.
      If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Thanks. I did load in the Abascus B-25 onto CFSM II. The airplane would not fly; one of those weird occasions where the sim airplane will not do what it is supposed to do. Even if you import the plane on a quick combat mode--with airplane already in flight--the Abascus B-25 will go down and the pilot can't do anything to stop it.

Anyways, a B-25 Gunship Sim is a subject long overdue. It would be a great sim; low altitude action against airfields and shipping, spectacular explosions and shoot-downs, awesome South Pacific scenery and terrain, and crazy colorful nose art. Wow. Maybe someday.

P-40 Petey
        P-40 Petey

Comment

Originally posted by P-40Petey View Post
          Thanks. I did load in the Abascus B-25 onto CFSM II. The airplane would not fly; one of those weird occasions where the sim airplane will not do what it is supposed to do. Even if you import the plane on a quick combat mode--with airplane already in flight--the Abascus B-25 will go down and the pilot can't do anything to stop it.

Anyways, a B-25 Gunship Sim is a subject long overdue. It would be a great sim; low altitude action against airfields and shipping, spectacular explosions and shoot-downs, awesome South Pacific scenery and terrain, and crazy colorful nose art. Wow. Maybe someday.

P-40 Petey
          Sounds like a .dp or .air file problem. If you can download a freeware B-25, you can, with a little tweaking, use the freeware files on the Abacus model, which may let you sue it in the sim.
          Goering: What can I do for you?

Moelders: Upgraded engines for my Bf 109s.

Galland:
          A squadron of Spitfires.

It is said that Goering then lost his temper.

Comment

IL-2 Sturmovik/Pacific fighters has a nicely modeled B-25 but that aircraft has a glass nose and only some .50 cal machine guns shooting forward. It doesn't have the big 75mm howitzer. On the other hand, you can jump into a variety of turrets to fend off enemy fighters. I never liked flying that plane against the Japanese because it will take flak hits especially during a bombing run when you have to hold her steady. Hats off to real bomber pilots because they took flak hits all the time.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
            --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
              IL-2 Sturmovik/Pacific fighters has a nicely modeled B-25 but that aircraft has a glass nose and only some .50 cal machine guns shooting forward. It doesn't have the big 75mm howitzer. On the other hand, you can jump into a variety of turrets to fend off enemy fighters. I never liked flying that plane against the Japanese because it will take flak hits especially during a bombing run when you have to hold her steady. Hats off to real bomber pilots because they took flak hits all the time.
              Actually the model with the 75mm cannon is modelled but is only AI. Still fun to watch it go but too bad you can't fly it yourself.

Comment

The fact that you can fly a B-25 on the IL-2 Sturmovich sim is all well and good, but it is still not a dedicated South Pacific B-25 gunship simulation. That is what we PC Sim guys need--a purpose builit South Pacific B-25 Gunship simulator that also has a passive replay mode with a "god's eye" view for watching your last spectacular mission. I can hear my wife calling me for dinner and getting angry while I blast IJN shipping out of the water and devestate enemy airfields... Ugh, see---there I go again. I just can't help my self dreaming about this thing. If I was very wealthy, I would commission a game maker and have the sim custom made for me.

Pete
                P-40 Petey

Comment

The problem Pete is, I hate to say it, very few would buy it. Most sims of this type are "survey" sims that allow you to fly different sorts of planes. There are a few "one plane" sims but not many. Even less chance for a sim on one not very numerous subtype. Hey, I'd fly it too. The best I think would be to create a B-25 sim with several versions of the B-25 modelled to hi detail and accuracy. With a working Norden bombsight model for the glass nosed version and a 75mm cannon version with the kick the real thing had affecting your flying. Oh well.

Comment

This sounds like something I would really be interested in.

Just not a big fan of modern jet sims. I'll take WWII (or even WWI) any day.

In fact, I get more satisfaction solving a navigation problem with a flight sim than shooting an airplane down. I know I am in the minority.

C-47 Crew

Comment

IIRC the pay-to-play MMOFS Aces High lets you fly a B-25 gunship.

I'm in total agreement that we need a B-25 gunship sim, Inclusion of the Mosquito and the A-26 wouldn't hurt as well.

Comment

I just downloaded the B-25H for CFS2 from Combat Flight Centre
                        http://www.combatfs.com/index.php?loc=pages&page=cfs2

but wasn't too impressed even though it has 8 forward-firing Mg's and 75mm cannon which all produce a satisfying tracer effect, but the impact of the 75's shell is only a wimpy little explosion graphic, nowhere near big enough to be realistic.
                        I was hoping the sea would froth and boil as I hosed down a Jap ship but it never happened.
                        Also, the tail gunner and the waist gunners fire aimlessly at the same time into thin air which looks stupid, although the DP file can be edited to shut them up.
                        And maybe there's a patch or whatever to beef up the 75 blast graphic..
                        Nice flight model though, smooth as silk, and the engine sound is absolute perfection..

Comment

Gunship Dreams

In response to joea: Yes, most combat flight sims are not single aircraft sims. The combat sim I have in mind would not have to be limited to one variant of B-25--i.e. the B-25H gunship; and as you suggest, a thoughtful designer could offer the glass nose variant (with functional bombardier mode) as well as other aircraft as suggested by redstar. Instead of the A-26 though, the A-20 should be included as this type saw plenty of Pacific Theater action. Perhaps a B-17E or B-24D could also be added. The B-17Es flew a lot of missions against the Japanese early in the war. A thoughtful designer could find a good balance and realistic variety of aircraft (even an RAAF Beaufighter would be nice) to make the game appealing. And of course the B-25H 75mm would be game designed to pack the punch of the real thing. Yeah baby.

Cheers,
                          P-40 Petey
                          Last edited by P-40Petey; 18 Jan 08, 00:23.
                          P-40 Petey

Comment

B-25 would be great

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X