Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Empire/Naploeon Total war

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by OJsDad View Post
    Do either ETW or NTW require Steam to play the single player game. If I purchase a boxed version, do I still need a Steam account to play?
    Unfortunately, yes. At least for ETW. This was by far THE most annoying, frustrating aspect of the entire game. You can still install it off the disk, but you have to do it through steam, if that makes sense. Not only that, but shortly after installing, you need to download a sizable update before steam will allow you to play. It took me a good two weeks (the game had just come out) to finally get steam to download the update as the servers were always busy. It took a few hours too because it was freakin' huge.

    The good news is that once all this crap is concluded you can play it offline, without connecting to steam.

    So, I hope I haven't scared you, but that's what you have to look forward to. I can't say for sure if Napoleon is the same, but I can only assume it is.
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

    Comment


    • #17
      Thanks Lucky.
      Matthew 25:14-30. Jesus tells that it is not sufficient merely to maintain things as they are. Those who await should make good use of the gifts that God has provided them.

      Comment


      • #18
        It made me join steam and i don't mind using it at all. And yes its mandatory for Medieval and i think Napoleon as it went straight to my steam account.

        Napoleon i think is a polished downsized version of Empire. It is better in all aspects except Grand Campaign (where it lacks).

        Empire has a VAST MAP. the only mods i really played with were the Faction Mods. I don't mind the Battle AI, except you units have to be in perfect position before they fire, Campaign I found conquering west Germany (Bavaria,Wuttemberg) one territory factions to be 10x harder to beat than the entire Austrian Empire... going through 10 4-10 unit armies in 6 territories is simply no where comparable to 2 full stacked armies in 1 territories...
        God didnít create evil. Evil is the result of when man does not have God's love in his heart.It's the cold when there is no heat.The darkness that comes when there is no light

        Comment


        • #19
          I simply adore all Total war games, but sadly i have a weak PC for ETW

          but i must say it is a great strategy and the battles are incredible.
          The troops formations, fighting, effects. The best game that exists.

          Comment


          • #20
            You're not missing anything. Napoleon is mediocre at best and ETW sucked porn star sized "you-know-what".

            The best thing about the TW series has always been the mods. I'm playing Roma Surrectum II which makes RTW with all it's limitations and retarded AI almost as good as MTW2 kingdoms.

            I'm patiently waiting for Europa Barbarorum 2, though...

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGff-muPIis
            "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

            Comment


            • #21
              Got ETW on Steam and I love it, Campaign is fun, battles are fun, only problem is the unit A.I, as I already saw posted your units can do some pretty retarded things.
              "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
              "

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by ace View Post
                only problem is the unit A.I, as I already saw posted your units can do some pretty retarded things.
                In one battle the enemy AI was totally unresponsive, I even charged them with my cavalry, they just stood there dying. It happened in Imperial Glory too, mostly in sieges, the enemy marched to the walls and just stood there while my cannons mowed them down.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by ace View Post
                  only problem is the unit A.I, as I already saw posted your units can do some pretty retarded things.
                  I agree. Even on the most difficult setting the AI normally just sits there and lets you destroy each unit piecemeal or sends the whole army at you with no particular reasoning. That said, the other day I fought a battle on campaign (Brits vs Frogs), each with full strength armies. I split my force with infantry and heavy guns remaining on the defensive, covered by cavalry, and sent Light bobs, horse artillery, dragoons and grenadiers around to a hill on the French left. The AI reacted really well and even withdrew slightly, bringing units from their right to re-enforce their left. It was the best battle I've ever played in ETW. May try some multiplayer games one day.
                  www.13thfoot.co.uk

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I agree with Globetrotter about Roma Surrectum 2, it's a dazzling mod and has improved the game 10-fold with the depth of what you can do. Also, the named and numbered legions actually connect you with your armies so you become increasing concerned over their losses.

                    This is something CA has been very bad about, which is surprising; one of the big problems with ETW was the endless clone forces. Player like to have units with which they can identify and which mean something to them as part of the pagentary of ancient warfare. NTW has improved this somewhat, but as usual it's the mods that have done it justice. Try installing The Rights Of Man 2 which comes with around 16 beautiful Imperial Guard regiments along with British, Prussian, Russian etc. It also has a Grand Campaign with no scripting.

                    As the only thing ETW offered was the map, I'd ignore it and go straight for NTW and then get TROM2. CA have announced they are actually going to deliver modding tools (uniform and other editors) so in the distant future some hero might marry the graphics of NTW with the map possibilities of ETW...
                    History is not tragedy; to understand historical reality, it is sometimes better to not know the end of the story.

                    Pierre Vidal-Naquet

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I enjoyed both ETW and NTW. I will admit that I was hoping for an ETW size map in the grand campaign of NTW but I suppose I can't have everything. The one thing that did nag me about ETW was the clone uniforms, NTW was purely amazing in this aspect.

                      In spite of it's flaws, I consider ETW to be one of my favorite games of all time. In fact, it's my most played game ever according to my Xfire account.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                        I agree with Globetrotter about Roma Surrectum 2, it's a dazzling mod and has improved the game 10-fold with the depth of what you can do. Also, the named and numbered legions actually connect you with your armies so you become increasing concerned over their losses.
                        Tell me about it. After an incredible Heroic Victory (playing on H/H) against the Dacians it was all I could do not to run out and get a tattoo that read:

                        LEGIO X GEMINA

                        The attachment I have to that Legion adds so much to the game. I'm addicted.
                        "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Well...I got ETW for Christmas, but have to wait till next month to play it-when I get a new computer (my current one isn't up to running this game).

                          I am frustrated.

                          So, when I do play, anyone got any quick tips for a newb? The only other TW game I've played is the original Shogun.
                          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                            Well...I got ETW for Christmas, but have to wait till next month to play it-when I get a new computer (my current one isn't up to running this game).

                            I am frustrated.

                            So, when I do play, anyone got any quick tips for a newb? The only other TW game I've played is the original Shogun.
                            Well...it depends on your playing style. The first thing that I came into conflict with was my melee mentality from the previous titles. With the previous titles It was my style to close with the enemy and bring him into hand-to-hand contact as soon as possible and move around his flanks to destroy.

                            This is still possible, but small arms and artillery make it much more costly. The bayonet charge is not what it historically should be. Most units will simply sit there and take it, and they will melee back and forth, usually resulting in both the defenders and the charging attackers decimated with no conceivable benefit.

                            So my advice would be...firepower. It takes a few battles to get used to how to ably use your units. Screening and skirmishers are essential when moving troops. Canister is deadly, if you must close with a battery of guns, do it as fast as possible and overrun the position, otherwise prepare to see twenty men at a time dropped.

                            As a shameless plug , check out some of the screenshots I posted in the screenshot thread, and you'll understand some of what I'm saying a little better.

                            Also, on a side note, if your new computer has the capacity, try Darthmod. IMO, the game should not be played without it. It improves many of the issues and gripes that we've all mentioned above, and it allows for a lot of other cool modifications. If you are unsure as to if you should or should not be bothered with this, ask the fellows over at the Total War Center, they will be of much more help than I could ever be.

                            Hope that was of some help, enjoy gaming.
                            ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
                              Well...it depends on your playing style. The first thing that I came into conflict with was my melee mentality from the previous titles. With the previous titles It was my style to close with the enemy and bring him into hand-to-hand contact as soon as possible and move around his flanks to destroy.

                              This is still possible, but small arms and artillery make it much more costly. The bayonet charge is not what it historically should be. Most units will simply sit there and take it, and they will melee back and forth, usually resulting in both the defenders and the charging attackers decimated with no conceivable benefit.

                              So my advice would be...firepower. It takes a few battles to get used to how to ably use your units. Screening and skirmishers are essential when moving troops. Canister is deadly, if you must close with a battery of guns, do it as fast as possible and overrun the position, otherwise prepare to see twenty men at a time dropped.

                              As a shameless plug , check out some of the screenshots I posted in the screenshot thread, and you'll understand some of what I'm saying a little better.

                              Also, on a side note, if your new computer has the capacity, try Darthmod. IMO, the game should not be played without it. It improves many of the issues and gripes that we've all mentioned above, and it allows for a lot of other cool modifications. If you are unsure as to if you should or should not be bothered with this, ask the fellows over at the Total War Center, they will be of much more help than I could ever be.

                              Hope that was of some help, enjoy gaming.
                              I did see your screenshots, and am impressed. Its gotten me into 18th century warfare again.

                              I am playing Shogun again to get used to the interface. Need more practice. I've been using musketeers as much as I can to get into the habit of shooting instead of closing. Not working real well

                              My new computer should handle anything. Anything. ANYTHING. Bwahahahaha.
                              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                You'll love Europa Barbarorum II (when it comes out). I am trying to be patient waiting for it.
                                "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                • Cheetah772
                                  The Expanse
                                  Cheetah772
                                  Anyone following The Expanse series? I am an avid fan of the books upon which the show is based on. I am so thrilled that Amazon picked up the show from...
                                  Yesterday, 22:34
                                • wolfhnd
                                  Tommy Robinson Arrested
                                  wolfhnd
                                  Hate speech laws and arbitrary enforcement of laws seem to be the norm in Europe now. Are "socialist" countries unavoidably totalitarian?
                                  Yesterday, 20:55
                                • Cosmos
                                  How to post a video
                                  Cosmos
                                  I've worked out how to post a video . Click on A to toggle Advanced Editor . Then in the last box of four on the new top row click the last symbol (Insert...
                                  Yesterday, 18:00
                                Working...
                                X