Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Help Wanted] RTS Game in Development

Hey all,

I am part of a team that are currently working on a simplistic RTS game, called War 4 Water. The game is based on a post-nuclear setting with factions trying to survive on earth.

Some of the key concepts of the game are:
    1. Single resource concept enabling you to focus on the strategic aspect of the game.
    2. The number of units that you manage is controlled at each technology stage. This leads to better planning instead of mindless battles.
    3. You have 3 unique battle units that you can control and take to battle against your opponents.
    4. You assign your battle units to Leaders and manage Leaders in battle, while not losing control of your individual units

We are looking out for a C# programmer to work with us, as one of our coders had to leave the team due to personal commitments.
    Any 3D artists willing to help us out are also most welcome.
    You can write to me at [email protected]

Our website is http://w4w.dt-games.net, where you can see some of the concept art of the game.

Originally posted by dbest View Post
    Hey all,

I am part of a team that are currently working on a simplistic RTS game, called War 4 Water. The game is based on a post-nuclear setting with factions trying to survive on earth.

Some of the key concepts of the game are:
    1. Single resource concept enabling you to focus on the strategic aspect of the game.
    2. The number of units that you manage is controlled at each technology stage. This leads to better planning instead of mindless battles.
    3. You have 3 unique battle units that you can control and take to battle against your opponents.
    4. You assign your battle units to Leaders and manage Leaders in battle, while not losing control of your individual units

We are looking out for a C# programmer to work with us, as one of our coders had to leave the team due to personal commitments.
    Any 3D artists willing to help us out are also most welcome.
    You can write to me at [email protected]

Our website is http://w4w.dt-games.net, where you can see some of the concept art of the game.
    OK. I'll bite. I'll assume (yeah) a few things given what you give as a working title.

1. Assumption: Single resource is water and control of water production and (hopefully) secondarily, water storage, based on terrain control, is essence of game. Dune without the spice (?).

very simplistically: water instead of money. OK. Biggest difference so far is that I see the requirement to have a place to store the resource instead of a untouchable "bank". Current games never locate wealth (total war et al for ex just has money in some "international" account). Associating a basic resource with particular locations - not just production of, but retention/storage of, would set this game apart from others and add to the strategic depth depending on how the game map is designed.

2. What is the number if units based on? #terrain gained, experience in/ number of battles (even if you suck), skill (few battles but overwhelming success), tech (I have nukes to your flintlock...)? all options in combination = game design. mindless battles can occur at any stage. actually I've enjoyed more the small 1 to 2 unit battles in too many games to mention, but for ex..., close combat, combat mission, squad assault, (dating myself) tank platoon, Harpoon, UV, ATF, total war, OFP, ARMA, rather than the massive battles with tons of actors. How does the game deal with this? Your site shows individual character gfx - how does that tie into tac/op/strat gaming?

3. unique units. This is I assume per "side" I.e. knowing how to use your unit's attributes is essential to success. Weaknesses and strengths are balanced between opponents? This is game designer stuff, if everyone knows how to best use their specials is everything even? How does the AI use these units? (can of worms there) OK. This is more an operational or tactical issue I think that strategic.

4. Using leaders in battle for a marketable game design requires a non-user-frustrating AI for subordinates- I.e. they do what they are told or can be assumed given the upper level user given orders and don't fail too often (difficulty levels) so as to frustrate the gamer. Again - game design comes to play as to enjoyability and market. The user thinks it should happen - how often are they frustrated? How often do cybersubordinates fail in their mission?

You are not putting a ww2 game together - so knowing what Monty would have done Vs. Bradley is a non-issue (and fighting with every historic know-it-all online... ha ha!) - you can generate your own personalities (I.E. combat math routines) to balance the game as you wish.

Coders and artists are essential to a game (I'd **** off a bunch of friends if I said otherwise) but the game design and basic math and assumptions are where a game is made or broken. Coders need direction, and artists need vision, all of that comes together as a great game.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by CSO_Brent View Post
      OK. I'll bite. I'll assume (yeah) a few things given what you give as a working title.

1. Assumption: Single resource is water and control of water production and (hopefully) secondarily, water storage, based on terrain control, is essence of game. Dune without the spice (?).

very simplistically: water instead of money. OK. Biggest difference so far is that I see the requirement to have a place to store the resource instead of a untouchable "bank". Current games never locate wealth (total war et al for ex just has money in some "international" account). Associating a basic resource with particular locations - not just production of, but retention/storage of, would set this game apart from others and add to the strategic depth depending on how the game map is designed.

2. What is the number if units based on? #terrain gained, experience in/ number of battles (even if you suck), skill (few battles but overwhelming success), tech (I have nukes to your flintlock...)? all options in combination = game design. mindless battles can occur at any stage. actually I've enjoyed more the small 1 to 2 unit battles in too many games to mention, but for ex..., close combat, combat mission, squad assault, (dating myself) tank platoon, Harpoon, UV, ATF, total war, OFP, ARMA, rather than the massive battles with tons of actors. How does the game deal with this? Your site shows individual character gfx - how does that tie into tac/op/strat gaming?

3. unique units. This is I assume per "side" I.e. knowing how to use your unit's attributes is essential to success. Weaknesses and strengths are balanced between opponents? This is game designer stuff, if everyone knows how to best use their specials is everything even? How does the AI use these units? (can of worms there) OK. This is more an operational or tactical issue I think that strategic.

4. Using leaders in battle for a marketable game design requires a non-user-frustrating AI for subordinates- I.e. they do what they are told or can be assumed given the upper level user given orders and don't fail too often (difficulty levels) so as to frustrate the gamer. Again - game design comes to play as to enjoyability and market. The user thinks it should happen - how often are they frustrated? How often do cybersubordinates fail in their mission?

You are not putting a ww2 game together - so knowing what Monty would have done Vs. Bradley is a non-issue (and fighting with every historic know-it-all online... ha ha!) - you can generate your own personalities (I.E. combat math routines) to balance the game as you wish.

Coders and artists are essential to a game (I'd **** off a bunch of friends if I said otherwise) but the game design and basic math and assumptions are where a game is made or broken. Coders need direction, and artists need vision, all of that comes together as a great game.

Good luck!
      Water storage and terrain control will be pretty key during game play. We understand that skewed map can effectively ruin an entire game and so will be paying special attention to that.

We plan to control the number of units available to each player by the level that he reaches via experiments carried out. This is similar to researching technology in other games.

Currently we are planning for all players to have similar units. Each unit will have different attributes, but can be customized.
      The AI unit handling is something that is still to be designed.

We will assume that orders given are to be followed as expected. I know of a lot of games that add to player frustrations, when orders given are not effectively followed, which simmes reality but may not lead to predictable and fun game play.

Thanks for your wishes.

Comment

I don't have any programming skills but would volunteer as a play tester! Sounds interesting.

Comment

development has come to an abrupt halt as we are looking to learn a lot more before we commit to this game.

Comment

Originally posted by dbest
            development has come to an abrupt halt as we are looking to learn a lot more before we commit to this game.
            When you say things have ground to halt b/c you're looking to learn more before committing, what do you mean?

Is it purely a developer issue where you need more resources or what? Has no code been laid down yet?

I might (no promises) be able to help connect things depending on what the issues are. Feel free to send me a PM with other contact information if you want to pull things off the forum.
            “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X