Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A more modern Total War game

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A more modern Total War game

    Ok, this thought came to mind as I was watching some Empire Total War videos on youtube.

    Do you think a modern (ex: WWI or WWII) total war game work and would you buy it?
    "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

    CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

  • #2
    Originally posted by No_Nickname View Post
    Ok, this thought came to mind as I was watching some Empire Total War videos on youtube.

    Do you think a modern (ex: WWI or WWII) total war game work and would you buy it?
    Would I buy it, hell yeah!!!

    But would it work, concerning WWI it would be difficult how they could figure out how to move armies around under one leader. Because it wasn't like that in WWI. It had a continuous front, the trenches, so how could they have a battle-map for hundreds of miles of trenches. I would love to see it, but they would have to break it down to the company or regiment level. And their would be thousands of regiments!

    And submarines and airplanes, I couldn't imagine how they would integrate those.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've thought about this,

      The biggest issue would be that they would need to completely redo the formation system and greatly increase soldier independence. It might work if they created a system where you would tell a company where to go, but it would advance in a loose formation with individual troops darting back and forth between cover.
      Other vital features to add would be the ability to draw trenches on the campaign map and the ability to bombard an enemy army without going into battle mode.
      I think subs and airplanes might be a little tricky to include in battles, although you could still add them as sort of a scout/assassin/saboteur unit (sinking whole ships and doing much more damage to armies and towns of course)


      Although it may have to wait, they announced that the next game will be Shogun 2.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RepublicanGuard View Post
        I've thought about this,

        The biggest issue would be that they would need to completely redo the formation system and greatly increase soldier independence. It might work if they created a system where you would tell a company where to go, but it would advance in a loose formation with individual troops darting back and forth between cover.
        Other vital features to add would be the ability to draw trenches on the campaign map and the ability to bombard an enemy army without going into battle mode.
        I think subs and airplanes might be a little tricky to include in battles, although you could still add them as sort of a scout/assassin/saboteur unit (sinking whole ships and doing much more damage to armies and towns of course)




        Although it may have to wait, they announced that the next game will be Shogun 2.
        Good point, they could maybe create a remake of company of heroes and make the battle scale larger in the RTS mode. Trenches could be a drag and drop type of insertion, they could create animations for bombing, but obviously there's gonna be problems with specifying your target. I think all they need to do is incorporate all the elements from war leaders to company of heroes and create a good compact action packed RTS/turned based game.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Wilpanzer View Post
          Good point, they could maybe create a remake of company of heroes and make the battle scale larger in the RTS mode. Trenches could be a drag and drop type of insertion, they could create animations for bombing, but obviously there's gonna be problems with specifying your target. I think all they need to do is incorporate all the elements from war leaders to company of heroes and create a good compact action packed RTS/turned based game.
          Couldn't agree more I'm waiting for this game but for now the closest thing I can find is Axis&Allies(2006) world war 2 mode which is basically a dumb down version of exactly what your talking about
          You better drop your flag an withdraw.

          Comment


          • #6
            They're making Shogun 2 Total War now. I guess Creative Assembly wants to reboot the entire series. WWI and WWII seems a long way off....
            馬兒不死,吾無葬地也 ~ 曹操

            Comment


            • #7
              I would love a WWI Total War game, on the condition that it had different start dates, and that stalemate does not become inevitable.

              Hopefully, it would have very short turns times, and be very operational in its feel, as a result.

              WW2 I would not like. Wrong style of warfare, other series have a monopoly.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Blakdust View Post
                Couldn't agree more I'm waiting for this game but for now the closest thing I can find is Axis&Allies(2006) world war 2 mode which is basically a dumb down version of exactly what your talking about
                I thought that Axis and Allies came out in 2004....
                Standing here, I realize you were just like me trying to make history.
                But who's to judge the right from wrong.
                When our guard is down I think we'll both agree.
                That violence breeds violence.
                But in the end it has to be this way.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Czin View Post
                  I thought that Axis and Allies came out in 2004....
                  I have the Axis & Allies: RTS Collector's Edition that came out in 2006, I honestly don't know the difference but despite being a decent game (the only game I can find like Total war but WW2) it has some flaws that would really make you want the latest possible version
                  You better drop your flag an withdraw.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    frankly I'd rather not see a modern iteration of Total War for many versions to come.

                    I hope the next total war after Shogun 2 is either a China: Total War featuring any of the warring periods of China, Autumn Kingdoms, Warring States, etc.

                    OR, a Hellenistic: Total War, featuring the dynasties that fractured Alexander the Great's kingdom following his death (the Rise of Rome and Carthage would be included in this Total War)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I had hoped to see a Victorian era Total War including the American Civil War, the Crimean War, Franco-Prussian War, US-Mexican War, Spanish-American War, the colonial wars in Africa, Asia, etc but sadly I doubt we will ever see it.

                      I for one won't even be purchasing Shogun 2.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Total War

                        I personally believe the Total War series to be the biggest waste of my time in this short life. They should have named the first, "Popes Revenge" and the second, "Exterminate all civilians". I especially like the red line ememies can cross over to escape death.....should paint one on every battlefield.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i think a WW2/WW1 game would work, i think the main TBS (turns based) part of the game could be kept almost intact, though perhaps a Hearts Of Iron-esque interface would be better than Empires. Then for the battles somthing similar to RUSE without the base building and the complete ineffectiveness of arty.
                          Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Not a fan of the TW series but I would defo buy a WWI TW, as for WWII. I don't see how it could work...
                            A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yes I would buy such a game. I think a whole World War(1914-1945) scenario would work best, since geopolitically you'd have more room for manuver in terms of diplomacy and also a longer time frame to work with.
                              "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
                              --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X