Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good game, Bad PR

I was thinking that WOT looking like a PR disaster is looming. Namely:

The partnership with Web billing and its dodgy practices. See here and here for just two examples.

The whole "Poles are cheats" comment from the CEO, and the related Ural steel Accusations? See here. Looks like WOT's Only answer has been "Suck it up, thread closed!".
    On a personal note I saw the interview in question, and it sure sounded like he was saying the above.

Then we have hte alleged NKVD "Correct" history comments from here (Parent thread is here).

Minor ones like the whole keeping Core mechanics information (Like Camouflage values) out of the hands of the players just adds to the worries.

Especially as it doesn't take much to damage a reputation allot. It proves even harder to get around that once its out on the internet. The fact all this has popped up in about a month of the game going live leads me to ask what's the next Foot in mouth moment?
    Winnie says
    ---------------------------------
    "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
    Herr Flick.

Originally posted by Listy View Post
    Then we have hte alleged NKVD "Correct" history comments from here (Parent thread is here).
    Hmm... I kept reading in-game comments about how this game favors Russian tanks and nerfs the others and now I read this.

Comment

I don't hang on the WoT forums so I don't really follow what they're up to.

Interesting. Keep us posted on how things develop.
      RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
        Hmm... I kept reading in-game comments about how this game favors Russian tanks and nerfs the others and now I read this.
        There's lots of claims of that, and While I can see where they stem, I've played all tech tree's. What the problem stems from is the KV-2 with 107mm gun is totally overpowered for its level. Also the massive inaccuracy of the Russian guns isn't really noticed by the people getting one shotted.

I will admit there might be a case, but I'm not so sure, I can see the downsides to the Soviet tanks. Do they outweigh the up sides? I don't know.
        Winnie says
        "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
        Herr Flick.

Comment

I played the game when it was a beta, it was O.K for me but nothing more, ditched it when they started charging money.

I might have considered paying a one time fee to keep playing, but this new system of constant extortion made me completely shun it.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
            I played the game when it was a beta, it was O.K for me but nothing more, ditched it when they started charging money.
            Join the club. We meet every Wednesday...

I might have considered paying a one time fee to keep playing, but this new system of constant extortion made me completely shun it.
            I completely agree - I would have given it more of a chance if it had become a game you simply had to buy to play. But to reward those who (more or less) throw away money at a video game is just wrong - I'm sure some people here enjoy it and I wish them all the best, but after the beta it fell off my radar for good. It's a pity, the game was fun for the first 3 or 4 tiers of tanks.
            "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
            - Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.

Comment

Look what the cat dragged in...
              Originally posted by Nokturnal View Post
              Join the club. We meet every Wednesday...
              I thought I did

But to reward those who (more or less) throw away money at a video game is just wrong
              Rumors have it you've picked up WoW so you're in no position to say that...

I can live with games that offer you to buy different skins (outfit, weapon additions that only change looks not functions, etc) for actual money, I would have and never did do it, but if someone has the extra cash for it and it brings him joy- more power to him.

However when my in-game level is set by an un-objective measure (how much time or money I invest) and not by my actual skills, the game just ain't worth it.

Comment

That's the other bad PR move, Although I knew Free to play needed to screw you for cash, I was shocked at the sheer amount of work and cunning that went into screwing people over. The whole high tier needs premium to fund it thing was a bit like getting a hidden bank charge in the face, and seemed ever so slightly evil.
                Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                Herr Flick.

Comment

Look what the cat dragged in...
                  Dragged in? More like coughed up on the door step...

Rumors have it you've picked up WoW so you're in no position to say that...

I can live with games that offer you to buy different skins (outfit, weapon additions that only change looks not functions, etc) for actual money, I would have and never did do it, but if someone has the extra cash for it and it brings him joy- more power to him.
                  Yes, the rumors are true - I am so ashamed I actually considered some sort of ritualistic suicide... But I'd get in trouble for making more mess to be cleaned up...
                  So instead, I have turned in my ACG coop badge and gun until I can get ARMA working on this PC. Think I've finally figured out what card(s) will fit in this case, so it shouldn't be much longer. In the meantime I've got Making History 2 to keep me busy. (Your turn George..)

I am well aware that WoW is evil/wrong/crap etc.. etc.. and not to mention dull and very time consuming - But I'm sure the rumor spreader (bloody Scots..) also mentioned my reason behind picking it up...The benefits of playing it outweigh the crappyness of the game itself.

But all the negative things aside, it actually doesn't reward people who spend more real $$$ in-game (as far as I know). The purchases you can make with real money are, as you mentioned, things like changing outfit or altering your name. So it's better than WoT in that respect.

However when my in-game level is set by an un-objective measure (how much time or money I invest) and not by my actual skills, the game just ain't worth it.
                  Unfortunately, it does reward those who are jobless and play 24/7, and that is dissapointing. Like you I'd rather a game which can be picked up/put down and my ranking/skill/ability not drop dramatically because I see it as a game and not a job or lifestyle choice. Thankfully I've found it relatively easy to avoid all others who play the game, so to me it's more or less a very large RPG with a subscription.
                  Still quite corny and the colours are way too bright though...

What I meant by "buy to play" was I wouldn't mind if WoT came with a subscription - To me the paying per month is okay in circumstances where your constant funding will add content and keep the game alive for a longer period. Take ARMA as an example, if that cost $5-10 a month I would be more than happy to pay to play provided it meant they give us new units/islands/missions every now and then.

WoT could have easily done this, it had a solid fan base and from what I could tell it was growing all the time. But their idea of asking for $$$ for in-game credits makes them more or less just like every browser-based-game out there that can only stay alive with all the micro-transcations that suck people in to giving them more and more money so they can pay to be 'the best'.

I'm sure everybody missed my long-winded replies.
                  "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
                  - Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.

Comment

Whoopsy. Can't have people paying you cash accused of being conmen can we.
                    Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                    Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokturnal View Post
                      I'm sure everybody missed my long-winded replies.
                      Not me, entertaining as usual...

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                      Whoopsy. Can't have people paying you cash accused of being conmen can we.
                      "We could not determine which forum this topic is in."

Comment

WoT doesn't unduly reward people who spend real money, at least not in the sense that seems to be suggested in this thread.

Real money can be used to buy Premium tanks - but you can still be a horrible player in them. Premium tanks are designed to give you some inherent advantage over players in the same tier but they are usually so poorly driven that this is canceled out. Most players who are in the Lowe use it to accumulate credits and XP to support their higher tier tanks. Some of those Lowe drivers can be pretty good.

Real money can be used to convert experience gained on one tank and place it on another tank. This is probably the biggest advantage to using real money because you can essentially funnel the experience of 10 tanks into one tank that you REALLY want. Again, this doesn't make money spenders any better on the battlefield.

Real money can be used for a premium account on a 30 day basis. This gives the player 50% bonus in xp and credits. This is where I put my 15 bucks a month because it does help you climb the tiers a fraction faster.

Lastly, real money can be spent on gold ammunition and some perks like high octane gas and and chocolate bars (which help your crew skills.) These can potentially make a money player slightly better than a comparable player who spends no money at all - but for a player to use these things every single game would be astronomically expensive.

In summary, I spend 15 bucks a month on this game and I've never had a problem skill wise versus those who may be spending more money than I am. I don't feel I'm being ripped off or dominated by the big spenders.

EDIT: I would feel the same if I didn't spend a nickel of my own money. The only tangible thing money buys is faster progression up the tech tree. Unless you spend TONS of money it provides very little practical use on the battlefield.
                        Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
                          I hear the same about the aircraft in IL-2 Sturmovik. Russian developer.

Comment

And the issues continue!

With the release of the next patch allot of people are unhappy about the balance of Soviet tanks Vs the others. That I know of, at least three threads in the forums have been deleted, one made 7+ pages in an afternoon, and was rated as popular with near 100 + counts. Another two smaller ones were stomped on.
                            Overlords Blog has been flooded with 400 Odd, mostly negative, comments. The most common phrase is "I'll not be buying any more gold".

WG.net's answer to this has been to sit in their offices ignoring the problem hoping it will go away. Which in PR terms is a massive whoopsy.

Interestingly it seems to be taking time to get into lower tier games. Yesterday I hit play with a Tier II and it took just under two minutes, this was during the middle of the day. Equally the higher tiers seem to be thinning out.

I think I'll start measuring player numbers. To see if there's a downwards trend.
                            Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                            Herr Flick.

Comment

Meh, people will still play even if this turns into a World of Russian Tanks game. Which it will to some extent if more and more players figure out (whether correctly or not) that playing Russian tanks gives you an edge.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X