New joiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New joiner

I've just joined up to WoT. Only got the beginner tanks ATM and get killed in a couple of shots. Is this normal at the beginning?
    Silent Hunter UK
    Member of Phoenix Roleplaying

Personal Blog

Look at your statistics and give us more details. If you were in a lot of battles and have low survival and few enemy kills then maybe it's a problem with how you play. Unless you have a light and fast tank good for scouting. Those are usually taken out quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
      I've just joined up to WoT. Only got the beginner tanks ATM and get killed in a couple of shots. Is this normal at the beginning?
      Yes. You are matched up with tanks that are of a higher tier than you are. I still use my LOLTraktor at least once a day and some of the tanks in the battles with me are impossible to even damage. Just research a better tank and buy it, lather, rinse repeat, and sooner or later you will have a better chance to survive.

Good luck!
      "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
        Look at your statistics and give us more details. If you were in a lot of battles and have low survival and few enemy kills then maybe it's a problem with how you play. Unless you have a light and fast tank good for scouting. Those are usually taken out quickly.
        I've only done a couple of battles so far.
        Silent Hunter UK

Personal Blog

Comment

There's definitely a learning curve in the game. Watch how other people are playing.

You'll notice they find cover and dart back and forth, taking a shot, then hiding. Try to adopt that tactic and you'll find you'll last a bit longer.
          RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Terrain, and play style are important factors in this game.

You don't want to be wasting shells on frontal shots if you can avoid it. The sides and rear are where you're going to be able to do the most damage.

If you have difficulty hitting moving targets, 'tracking' the enemy to bring them to a halt until they can repair themselves will allow you to put more shots into them.
            BoRG
            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Especially at the lower tiers, you have very few hitpoints and paper thin armor. You probably won't survive more than 3 or 4 hits from any gun. Once you start to reach about tier 4 or 5 you will be a bit more survivable and will even be able to deflect a few shots.

I have actually started to go back to some of the early tanks - it is a very refreshing change to zip around in a PzII and blast away with the 20mm autocannon.

I played at the very start of closed beta testing and remember when newbie tanks came with a 25 percent skill crew instead of 50 percent. I probably didn't kill anything the fort 10 or 12 games i played!

Comment

Just got my first kill - an MS-2 who was pretty much dead anyway.
                Silent Hunter UK

Personal Blog

Comment

Remember its not kills that are important. Its damage. If you do 90% damage to every other enemy tank in the game, but someone else kills them all, then you'll get more Experience and cash.

That said getting 7 kills twice in a row yesterday (and no most of those where majority damage from me) did make me feel slightly cocky.

Ideas:
                  Hide behind the bush, not in it.

Move after someone has taken a shot at you. Chances are his mates have seen you, and a salvo of arty or other shells are already being lined up.

Aim low. I find that due to the flight path of the shell it hits more. Just above the road wheels is ideal.

If you're close enough, go for the turret ring if you're having trouble killing things.

Use AP for your tier or lower, HE for higher.

Don't bother with HE below 75mm.
                  Winnie says
                  ---------------------------------
                  "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                  Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                    Remember its not kills that are important. Its damage. If you do 90% damage to every other enemy tank in the game, but someone else kills them all, then you'll get more Experience and cash....
                    I couldn't begin to guess at the number of times I have gotten an enemy vehicle down to a tiny fraction of health (1 or 2%) and someone else finishes it off. I know it shouldn't matter and that what you posted is true, but it is still aggravating to think that someone else could get a Top Gun award for killing tanks another player should be credited for. Perhaps that award should be removed from the game or the requirement for getting it changed.
                    "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Hmm i have a question but don't really want to start a new thread and this kind of applys as I just started playing.

I've been playing pretty balanced sticking my toe into many different areas (SPG/medium/Tank-destroyer). However I'm having poor luck with the TD's. I know I'm supposed to be more of an Ambush unit but even then i get that 1st good shot then I get my clocked clean.

So is there a good basic strategy, I don't have enough power to quickly kill somebody and I'm pretty fragile (takes 2-4 shots to kill while it takes 1-2 to kill me).. It may also just be my Russian Tier II TD.
                      God didnít create evil. Evil is the result of when man does not have God's love in his heart.It's the cold when there is no heat.The darkness that comes when there is no light

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X