Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official: World of Tanks - Ask the Developers!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Official: World of Tanks - Ask the Developers!

    Hi everybody!

    My name is Jeremy Taylor. I'm working for Wargaming.net and involved in the World of Tanks development process. I have received the official sanction for starting this thread as the World of Tanks team's representative. Please feel free to ask any questions you find appropriate, and I will try to give you timely response.

    World of Tanks is an MMO game based on massive numbers of armored battles. In World of Tanks 30-player teams are fighting PvP battles. The game features more than 150 armored fighting vehicles from pre-WW2 era up to Korean War: light, medium, heavy and super heavy tanks, tank destroyers, self-propelled howitzers and rocket artillery. The game includes German, American and Soviet tanks.

    The game offers fast random battles featuring various modes, historic mini-campaigns, tourneys and Clan Wars on a global map, where mighty clans fight for hundreds of provinces employing grand strategy, diplomacy and economic power. Besides individual tank-ace skills, World of Tanks requires team work and a fine balance between light and heavy armor. The game will be available as a free download and is expected to be released in Fall 2010.

    World of Tanks official website

    The first game screenshots can be viewed here: http://worldoftanks.com/gallery/screenshots/1

  • #2
    OK, I'll bite because this sounds interesting.

    What's the scale of the maps and what are the typical ranges of engagement - are they based on real world statistics? Obviously, a lot of tank battles take place at extreme range, so you might not even see your enemy in much detail - but I don't know how well this would translate to gameplay if you are firing at a dot on the horizon. So have you gone for hyper-realism or a more gamey approach?

    There are arguments for both of course.

    Just wondering!

    Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

    www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

    www.tabletown.co.uk

    Comment


    • #3
      This sounds quite interesting...

      Good questions, too, Doc...

      This just might be the sort of thing to drag me ol bones into on-line gaming!

      Now, if somebody'd just come up with something similar for Global Fleet Action on this kind of scale...


      On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

      ACG History Today

      BoRG

      Comment


      • #4
        A question from me: how many nations will there be in the full version?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
          OK, I'll bite because this sounds interesting.

          What's the scale of the maps and what are the typical ranges of engagement - are they based on real world statistics? Obviously, a lot of tank battles take place at extreme range, so you might not even see your enemy in much detail - but I don't know how well this would translate to gameplay if you are firing at a dot on the horizon. So have you gone for hyper-realism or a more gamey approach?

          There are arguments for both of course.

          Just wondering!

          Dr. S.
          Thanks for the question. The standard World of Tanks map has dimensions from 1km x 1km to 2km x 2km. Maps in the clan war mode can be much bigger in scale. Identifying the enemy fighting vehicle at 500m distance is a very challenging task both in real battle and in World of Tanks . However, World of Tanks is not a simulator. We have implemented a thoroughly balanced realism/gameplay ratio. In World of Tanks all fighting vehicles' characteristics correspond to their real prototypes' specs. But we've increased the tanks' speed, turret rotation and gun reloading rates. If we preserved the real-life rates it would hurt the gameplay dynamism deeply.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Flipflap View Post
            A question from me: how many nations will there be in the full version?
            150 fighting vehicles from America, Germany and USSR will be available in the World of Tanks release version. We are working on a long-playing project and we'll be adding more nations gradually. We are planning to include panzers from England, France, Japan and Italy into World of Tanks after the release.

            Comment


            • #7
              Welcome to ACG Jeremy and thanks for joining us.

              I have to say your site has stirred a lot of interest in me for playing this.

              I think it's an interesting tack your team has taken in choosing to add the prototype and experimental models. I'm curious to see how they fare against their production brethren.
              BoRG
              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
                Welcome to ACG Jeremy and thanks for joining us.

                I have to say your site has stirred a lot of interest in me for playing this.

                I think it's an interesting tack your team has taken in choosing to add the prototype and experimental models. I'm curious to see how they fare against their production brethren.
                Thanks for the warm welcome.

                We will give "another chance" to lots of prototypes in World of Tanks. With the help of our experts in the history of tank industry, we have revived the most exciting fighting vehicles' models that existed only as prototypes or at drawings. The very good examples here are the German super heavy MAUS tank and the Soviet IS-7 monster. E-series tanks will also be introduced into World of Tanks after the release.
                Last edited by JeremyTay; 22 Mar 10, 07:53.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks so much for begin here Jeremy! My question: the teamwork aspect. Will each player be in charge of their own vehicle? Or, will people be able to "crew" a vehicle together (one driving, one gunning for example)? If possible could you highlight some of the "teamwork" aspects of the game. Thanks and welcome!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JeremyTay View Post
                    Thanks for the warm welcome.

                    We will give "another chance" to lots of prototypes in World of Tanks. With the help of our experts in the history of tank industry, we have revived the most exciting fighting vehicles' models that existed only as prototypes or at drawings. The very good examples here are the German super heavy MAUS tank and the Soviet IS-7 monster. E-series tanks will also be introduced into World of Tanks after the release.
                    Should be interesting... no intentions of introducing the P1000 Ratte?
                    BoRG
                    "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Babbadoo11M View Post
                      Thanks so much for begin here Jeremy! My question: the teamwork aspect. Will each player be in charge of their own vehicle? Or, will people be able to "crew" a vehicle together (one driving, one gunning for example)? If possible could you highlight some of the "teamwork" aspects of the game. Thanks and welcome!
                      Thanks for the question. One tank, anti-tank or artillery vehicle on the battlefield refers to one player. A player, in his turn, may have up to 5 fighting vehicles of different nations at his camp. Besides the panzer itself, the player commands a non-player character crew from 2 to 7 members depending on the vehicle's type. The crew may include gunner, radio operator, loader, mechanic and commander. Each crew member will be leveled up individually and can be knocked out. The way you upgrade each crew member influences directly your panzer's performance on the battlefield.

                      In World of Tanks the space for tactics is immense and is based on team cooperation. Each tank, depending on its type, has its own assignment. For instance, light tanks, like BT-7, are used for battle reconnaissance, artillery vehicles, like Wespe or Hummel, are very effective at long distances for fire covering, and heavy tanks represent the team's hitting power.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
                        Should be interesting... no intentions of introducing the P1000 Ratte?
                        No chance for P1000 or P1500 to appear in our game, at least in the nearest future. Sorry for that . These monsters are too extreme for us .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JeremyTay View Post
                          No chance for P1000 or P1500 to appear in our game, at least in the nearest future. Sorry for that . These monsters are too extreme for us .
                          Glad to hear it. I'd hate to see how many heavies would have to be used to take it out bereft of airsupport. As it stands it should be interesting to see how the Maus fares.
                          BoRG
                          "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Cheers mates! Any info on the cbt? And... will there be orks&elves as infantry... or it was just the teaser ?
                            Last edited by Ubervic76; 24 Mar 10, 10:15.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ubervic76 View Post
                              Cheers mates! Any info on the cbt? And... will there be orks&elves as infantry... or it was just the teaser ?
                              I think that was a way of saying there are other MMOs bedsides Warcraft and ours squashes the competition. Great trailer I thought.
                              BoRG
                              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X