Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tier 3 fun

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tier 3 fun

    I gave up on the big beasts and I'm now having fun with the tier 3 tanks. Panzer I Ausf. Cs and Panzer II Ausf. Gs are epic. So is Marder II. Will try other tech trees later on. Anyone else falling back to the low tiers?

  • #2
    I may reinstall the game. I never got past tier 3.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Imperial View Post
      I gave up on the big beasts and I'm now having fun with the tier 3 tanks. Panzer I Ausf. Cs and Panzer II Ausf. Gs are epic. So is Marder II. Will try other tech trees later on. Anyone else falling back to the low tiers?
      If you think the Marder II is epic now, you should have seen it before they nerfed the gun all to hell.

      A lot of people will accuse you of seal clubbing if you vulch low tiers, but I find the chaos can be kind of fun in it's own right.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Duncan View Post
        I may reinstall the game. I never got past tier 3.
        I uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times. Took a long pause from playing it too. And I gave up trying to go through new tech trees long ago. It's not worth it.

        Originally posted by DingBat View Post
        If you think the Marder II is epic now, you should have seen it before they nerfed the gun all to hell.

        A lot of people will accuse you of seal clubbing if you vulch low tiers, but I find the chaos can be kind of fun in it's own right.
        So far I find this seal clubbing to be relaxing and fun.
        Low tier arties are less of an issue too. Most of them can rarely hit anything.

        Comment


        • #5
          Tier 3, 4, 5 can all be fun. It's the Tier 9 / 10 games that blow chunks.
          Either you have a heavy tank with an elephant gun spamming gold or you're a target.
          The low tier battles often are more equal and about better play on your part.

          In any case, Tier 4 to 10, you aren't in the top tier in a random game you are really just along for the ride. Only the top tier vehicles in a 3 tier game really matter. They usually have more hit points and do more damage than the rest of their team combined. They are also often nearly invulnerable to the lower tier vehicles.

          Comment


          • #6
            Kind of stop playing and switched to World of Warships.


            I had unlocked almost all the trees except Japan and the other new one. Did not see anything new.
            Are we there yet?

            Comment


            • #7
              I just started playing last week...I think it's been about 3 years. Been playing World of Warships a bit off and on for a couple months now.

              Not much has changed in WoT, still some of the worst sore-losers AND sore-winners in the universe. And the gameplay didn't change for the better (still a point and click with little actual value on team tactics--at least in the random battles). Still don't like the LOS and the vanishing tanks, still don't like the expense of running higher tier tanks, still don't like how the matchmaker matches up players. Still don't like the pretend historical accuracy and the made-up-on-the-spot tanks (like those giant OP Jap tanks ).

              BUT...I'm still having some fun with it after I stopped caring what happens in the battles. And I ended up getting rid of all but two of my high tier tanks; I'm sticking with just tier 5 now, seems to be the best fun for me at least.

              ANOTHER BUT...as soon as I can get Warthunder up and running again, I'll probably stick with that. Not as pretty as WoT, a bit more complicated when it comes to the research parts and grinding away to get new toys, but I like the setup a lot better.
              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

              Comment


              • #8
                Haven't played in a few months. It's a fun game, but it was costing me too much.

                Arty is a lot of fun, but the reload times detract a bit in higher tiers. I think my favorite arty piece is the M7 Priest.

                I think what pissed me off the most was finally getting to the Tiger 1, and finding out that the actual Tiger 1 isn't represented.

                The 88L56 came with a turret off something else, like a VK. When you upgrade to the actual Tiger turret, it's equipped with the 88L71.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

                BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

                BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                  I just started playing last week...I think it's been about 3 years. Been playing World of Warships a bit off and on for a couple months now.

                  Not much has changed in WoT, still some of the worst sore-losers AND sore-winners in the universe. And the gameplay didn't change for the better (still a point and click with little actual value on team tactics--at least in the random battles). Still don't like the LOS and the vanishing tanks, still don't like the expense of running higher tier tanks, still don't like how the matchmaker matches up players. Still don't like the pretend historical accuracy and the made-up-on-the-spot tanks (like those giant OP Jap tanks ).

                  BUT...I'm still having some fun with it after I stopped caring what happens in the battles. And I ended up getting rid of all but two of my high tier tanks; I'm sticking with just tier 5 now, seems to be the best fun for me at least.

                  ANOTHER BUT...as soon as I can get Warthunder up and running again, I'll probably stick with that. Not as pretty as WoT, a bit more complicated when it comes to the research parts and grinding away to get new toys, but I like the setup a lot better.
                  I've actually been keeping stats of my own on random games. I discovered the following:

                  The WN 8 and other stat systems the game "officially" uses are crap. They don't represent a player's worth except in the coarsest terms. You might as well not use them.

                  As for random games:

                  In a Tier IV to X game you will normally have 3 tiers of vehicles present. Only the top tier in the game really matters. The middle and bottom tiers are almost always just along for the ride so to speak. They can contribute to a win or loss but are not the deciding factor. That belongs to the top tier vehicles and players on each side.
                  If you work the numbers the top tier vehicles often have more HP and do more damage than the rest of the vehicles in the game combined. They are often all but immune to middle and bottom tier vehicle fire and even when they aren't the damage done isn't going to be significant enough to make a real or serious difference.
                  In recent upgrades they also shortened up spotting ranges considerably making scouts far more important to long range fire and artillery.

                  Anyway, if you play random games and aren't in the top tier, you are getting an "also ran" for a result 95 out of 100 games.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    [QUOTE=Hida Akechi;3168537]I just started playing last week...I think it's been about 3 years. Been playing World of Warships a bit off and on for a couple months now.
                    accuracy and the made-up-on-the-spot tanks (like those giant OP Jap tanks ).

                    This has happen with every new branch in the tech tree that comes out. They OP all the tanks get everyone to grind and spend money on that line then the nerf hammer comes out.

                    Wash and repeat.

                    But I still find myself playing for time to time when I need a switch from WOWS.
                    Are we there yet?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My favourite tiers are 4 to 7. As of Tier 8 it just starts getting too expensive. Also in the higher tier the grind for upgrades takes all the fun out of it. Often you are stuck in a useless moving target for a long time before you are fully upgraded.

                      I like the lower tiers but there are some truly awful dogs that are useless for all purposes. You are usually best with lights and some TDs.

                      I like the German and US low level TDs. I've had lots of success with the PzJ 1 even though it is Tier 2 but you have to remember it is a sniper tank. The US T18 and T82 were great but they have been heavily nerfed. They are still okay. The Soviet T-46 at a Tier 3 is a solid light

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        I've actually been keeping stats of my own on random games. I discovered the following:

                        The WN 8 and other stat systems the game "officially" uses are crap. They don't represent a player's worth except in the coarsest terms. You might as well not use them.

                        As for random games:

                        In a Tier IV to X game you will normally have 3 tiers of vehicles present. Only the top tier in the game really matters. The middle and bottom tiers are almost always just along for the ride so to speak. They can contribute to a win or loss but are not the deciding factor. That belongs to the top tier vehicles and players on each side.
                        If you work the numbers the top tier vehicles often have more HP and do more damage than the rest of the vehicles in the game combined. They are often all but immune to middle and bottom tier vehicle fire and even when they aren't the damage done isn't going to be significant enough to make a real or serious difference.
                        In recent upgrades they also shortened up spotting ranges considerably making scouts far more important to long range fire and artillery.

                        Anyway, if you play random games and aren't in the top tier, you are getting an "also ran" for a result 95 out of 100 games.
                        I tentatively disagree with your generalization.

                        I've run 2 accounts in WoT. The first has over 20k games, 65% win rate, 2.5-3k+ WN8. A lot of people pooh-pooh my record as "platoons/clan wars/gold rounds/premium" etc, etc.

                        So, I created another account and played without platoons, gold, premium, etc. The result was 3-4k games, 60% win rate, 2-2.5 WN8. All in tiers 1-8, so this account faced more than it's fair share of being the low tier in the fight.

                        Now, WN8 is skewed against lower tiers, something I didn't really agree with, but the creators were deathly afraid of seal clubbers for some reason.

                        The point is, stats do generally reflect capability. People always trot out "Oh, but I saw a purple doing dumb things and dying in the first 30 seconds". Yeah, that's what anecdotal evidence means. Over the long haul, that player is doing things right.

                        People don't realize that the difference between 50% and 60% wins is just winning 1 additional game in 10. Sounds easy, but it's pretty hard to do over several thousand games.

                        I also disagree with the idea that low tier means you're along for the ride. I'd argue that making your low tier valuable means the difference between winning and losing more often that you might think. Far too many people go into a fight with a low tier and derp around like they're top tier. The player base in WoT seems to have a genetic disposition against patience and it shows in the results.

                        Again, anecdotally, my experience is that patience and player decision making is the single biggest factor in success or failure in WoT. Not tank. Not tier.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
                          I like the German and US low level TDs. I've had lots of success with the PzJ 1 even though it is Tier 2 but you have to remember it is a sniper tank. The US T18 and T82 were great but they have been heavily nerfed. They are still okay. The Soviet T-46 at a Tier 3 is a solid light
                          I do the same thing when I get sick of high tier corridor fighting, which is more and more these days. In fact the Pz.Kpfw. 38(t) is my absolute favorite vehicle in the game. That thing is death on wheels. The Matilda and M10 Wolverine are also great fun.
                          "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
                            My favourite tiers are 4 to 7. As of Tier 8 it just starts getting too expensive. Also in the higher tier the grind for upgrades takes all the fun out of it. Often you are stuck in a useless moving target for a long time before you are fully upgraded.

                            I like the lower tiers but there are some truly awful dogs that are useless for all purposes. You are usually best with lights and some TDs.

                            I like the German and US low level TDs. I've had lots of success with the PzJ 1 even though it is Tier 2 but you have to remember it is a sniper tank. The US T18 and T82 were great but they have been heavily nerfed. They are still okay. The Soviet T-46 at a Tier 3 is a solid light
                            The keys to success in tiers 1-3 is to stop using the spam cannons as soon as possible. People love using the autocannons but unless you're real close their accuracy is just not good enough. I always liked tanks with good, accurate guns with high rates of fire. One of my best low tier tanks was the Pz35t.

                            In fact, my overall preference for tanks in WoT was always good tanks with accurate, high rate of fire guns, preferably with great camo values.

                            Things like:
                            - M8A1
                            - T67
                            - Cromwell
                            - The old Hellcat
                            - e8
                            - T-34 with the 57mm bb gun
                            - Tetrarch
                            - Crusader
                            - Marder 38t
                            - Su76

                            You get the idea.

                            If you want to bully people, easily the best tank in the game at lower tiers is the KV-1 with the 85mm IF you know how to angle your armor properly. I've come out of games with near full health after engaging 5 or 6 enemy heavies head on by just angling and calmly knocking them out one at time with that killer 85mm.

                            For derping, the old Sherman works well. The Hetzer is another great option.

                            Anyway, those are some recommendations for lower tier fun.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                              I do the same thing when I get sick of high tier corridor fighting, which is more and more these days. In fact the Pz.Kpfw. 38(t) is my absolute favorite vehicle in the game. That thing is death on wheels. The Matilda and M10 Wolverine are also great fun.
                              Throw a rammer on the matilda and spam 2 pounder rounds at people while angling to use the armor. Joy.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X