Is the stock tank system plain wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the stock tank system plain wrong?

I'm talking about the fact that after spending a lot of time grinding your tank to win 160,000+ XP in order to go one tier up you then find yourself playing with the previous tier's gun. You then need to get 60,000+ XP (with a lower-tier gun) in order to research the proper gun for your tier.

What the heck. I find this annoying and I don't know what's the logic behind it.

Shouldn't they put the two XPs together so when you go one tier up (with 220,000+ XP) you also get the proper gun from the get-go?

*I used the figure for XP from what I experienced going from IS-3 to IS-4.

I can't speak to your exact situation, but many times if you elite a vehicle, including alternate and top guns for that chassis, you will roll into the next higher tier with a gun that is at least one notch above stock. It helps a little to offset the XP gap you mention. Going a tier up only to become cannon fodder for that tier is aggravating. A pain that only accelerates in the higher tiers.

I'm in a similar funk with my GW-Tiger. It is big, painfully slow, painfully inaccurate, and the stock gun is rubbish with nearly 30 seconds between shots. 64k of xp needed to get the prime gun...but the really crucial thing about the GW-Tiger is that it is so big and slow that you are almost entirely dependent on your team to protect you. You can seldom just sit in the back and work your magic. If you are spotted even once, you die as a sitting duck.

After the brilliant SPG that is the GW Panther, the GW Tiger will make you hate playing it with a passion. I only play it once per day, to get my daily double on XP, and then I play other tanks. Can't stand it.

That said, when it has its prime gun the GW Tiger is supposed to shine which is the only reason I keep the thing around.
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
      I'm talking about the fact that after spending a lot of time grinding your tank to win 160,000+ XP in order to go one tier up you then find yourself playing with the previous tier's gun. You then need to get 60,000+ XP (with a lower-tier gun) in order to research the proper gun for your tier What the heck. I find this annoying and I don't know what's the logic behind it.

Shouldn't they put the two XPs together so when you go one tier up (with 220,000+ XP) you also get the proper gun from the get-go?

*I used the figure for XP from what I experienced going from IS-3 to IS-4.
      You left out the part about having to grind experience in order to research a new suspension--and a new turret--before you can mount that new gun. I have run into that in numerous cases.

I suspect the reason it is set up that way is to persuade subscribers to get a Premium Account. Which costs gold. Which costs real life money. But many will go along with it in order to earn an additional 50% experience and credits.
      "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Originally posted by Greybriar View Post
        You left out the part about having to grind experience in order to research a new suspension--and a new turret--before you can mount that new gun. I have run into that in numerous cases.

I suspect the reason it is set up that way is to persuade subscribers to get a Premium Account. Which costs gold. Which costs real life money. But many will go along with it in order to earn an additional 50% experience and credits.
        A Premium Account doesn't help much. It only cuts by half the time you would normally need to grind that experience. For example with a premium account it still took me around 180 painful games to finally get the top-notch 130mm gun for my IS-4.

However, it may persuade the players that have a premium tank to buy some gold with which to convert experience into free experience and quickly get modules researched. For example I have 100,000 XP "stuck" on my Lowe after I used it to farm credits. I will eventually buy gold to do something with it, but for now I managed to resist the temptation.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
          I can't speak to your exact situation, but many times if you elite a vehicle, including alternate and top guns for that chassis, you will roll into the next higher tier with a gun that is at least one notch above stock. It helps a little to offset the XP gap you mention. Going a tier up only to become cannon fodder for that tier is aggravating. A pain that only accelerates in the higher tiers.

I'm in a similar funk with my GW-Tiger. It is big, painfully slow, painfully inaccurate, and the stock gun is rubbish with nearly 30 seconds between shots. 64k of xp needed to get the prime gun...but the really crucial thing about the GW-Tiger is that it is so big and slow that you are almost entirely dependent on your team to protect you. You can seldom just sit in the back and work your magic. If you are spotted even once, you die as a sitting duck.

After the brilliant SPG that is the GW Panther, the GW Tiger will make you hate playing it with a passion. I only play it once per day, to get my daily double on XP, and then I play other tanks. Can't stand it.

That said, when it has its prime gun the GW Tiger is supposed to shine which is the only reason I keep the thing around.
          A GW Tiger is next on my list of purchases. I still need 80,000 XP to research it.

BTW, what do you think I should do with my IS-3? Should I keep it in the garage or sell it? I heard IS-4 will be made tier 10 and I wonder whether those with a IS-3 in the garage will receive something or get the tank beefed-up into a tier 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
            A Premium Account doesn't help much. It only cuts by half the time you would normally need to grind that experience. For example with a premium account it still took me around 180 painful games to finally get the top-notch 130mm gun for my IS-4....
            Better 180 games than 270, no? And when you are working on multiple trees at the same time, the temptation to get a Premium Account just gets greater.

But I am done being in a hurry. I only do the WoT dailies for double experience and credits and that's all. With 21 vehicles that's enough.
            "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Originally posted by Greybriar View Post
              Better 180 games than 270, no? And when you are working on multiple trees at the same time, the temptation to get a Premium Account just gets greater.

But I am done being in a hurry. I only do the WoT dailies for double experience and credits and that's all. With 21 vehicles that's enough.
              21 vehicles sounds really daunting. And impressive.

I have focused only on Russian heavy tanks, German arty (gave up on the TDs) and recently started working on American TDs (reached tier 6). I have only 4 vehicles in my garage.

Comment

I started out focusing on the German tree. I managed to get to the Leopard, Stug III, Panther II, Tiger II, and Hummel before patch 6.6 went live.

By that time I had gotten the SU-26 (my favorite vehicle BTW) in the U.S.S.R. tree as well as getting the KV due to the upcoming 6.7 patch with its free U.S.S.R. tanks.

I also had the M3 Lee because I read somewhere that its second gun will be activated when infantry is added to the game and I wanted to be prepared. In addition I had an M7 Priest and a Wolverine out of historical curiosity. I wanted a fast tank with better firepower than my Leopard so I researched the M5. The stats on the M7 impressed me and I ditched my M5 for it. Big mistake, I'm afraid. I got further involved with the U.S. tank tree after seeing the performance of an T29 Heavy Tank and began working down that branch of the research tree in a T1.

After patch 6.6 I bought a GW Panther with a new 100% crew to advance my research in the German SPG tree. I also kept my Hummel with its 100% crew. Additionally I purchased a PzKpfw 38H735 and a M4A2E4 just for the fun of it.

Add in a tank destroyer here and there and a few Elites that I couldn't bear to part with and I run twenty-one vehicles through the WoT dailies each day until each of them emerges victorious from battle. It's quite a chore some days.

I could use that beer right about now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X