X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greybriar
    replied
    Originally posted by craven View Post
    The game is pretty much like real life. People are always looking for ways to screw other people over.

The key is to find a good alliance or corp to get in with that does not take advantage of its members and have fun.
    Don't trust anyone. A member of the corporation I was in stole all its assets and even created a contract (which he accepted as an officer of the corporation!) that gave him a large percentage of all future income of the corporation. At that point, we (the members of said corporation) dissolved the corporation.

Another limited membership corporation composed of players who had been old "friends" for years had its headquarters assaulted by one of its members. The traitor had built ships near the corporate HQ and when he had enough firepower, he overwhelmed the HQ's defenses.

Then there are the "lesser" misbehaviors like destroying a player's spacecraft and its escape pod. That was the final straw with me and I quit playing EVE Online. My only regret is that I left my oldest online gaming friend to fend for himself.

But I will never play EVE Online again!

Leave a comment:

• craven
    replied
    The game is pretty much like real life. People are always looking for ways to screw other people over.

The key is to find a good alliance or corp to get in with that does not take advantage of its members and have fun.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Or scams either.

Leave a comment:

• Martok
    replied
    Apparently the game is not without its intrigue:

Leave a comment:

• DETURK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Crows eye
    replied
    the game is really complicated, but when you know how to play its amazing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0O3Xl6a4wc
    this video shows the scale that some of the ships can get.
    i definitely recommend everyone at least try it.

Leave a comment:

• CompTopGames
    replied
    Originally posted by Navalava View Post
    I have heard of EVE online, and even tried it once for few days. I love the graphic and the game in whole. That is why I quit it. It is too addictive.
    I totally agree! Eve was the only game I MADE myself take breaks from. It would consume entire evenings and sometimes days for me. I have been playing on a 3 months on/2 months off cycle now for the past 2 years and it seems to be working. When I first started playing back in 2006, I was playing 2-3 hours per day minimum...way too much for me :P

Leave a comment:

• Navalava
    replied
    I have heard of EVE online, and even tried it once for few days. I love the graphic and the game in whole. That is why I quit it. It is too addictive.

Leave a comment:

• DETURK
    replied
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HrrVDV_NsNo

EVE Online: Crucible Trailer

Leave a comment:

• Ironwolf
    replied
    What I really like about EVE is that there IS a penalty for getting killed (podded). Unlike other games where you respawn with everything you had, in EVE, you start all the way over equipemt wise (and skill wise if you don't have an up to date clone). It makes you think more before doing something stupid.

To that end,,,First Law: never fly what you can't afford to lose. Just like everyone says.

My charector does a bit of everything. I may not be the most powerful, but if I lose a ship I can make a new one from a blueprint I have on hand, minerals I've already mined, and spare parts I've kept in stock. I also do invention so I have T2 parts on hand as well.

I'm not much of a PvP per and in fact have been podded many times. It annoys me but having those kind of setbacks is all part of the game. It helps "keep it real" so to speak.

In short, if you're going to whine about losing your ship, don't pick a violent profession!

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    Originally posted by Eilig View Post
    I tried this game on three different occasions but stopped playing every time for the same reason - it is simply extremely time consuming. You could spend hours waiting with a gang for sh*t to go down and when finally there was some combat you will be dead before you know it. Then you need to warp here and there (which also takes hours) to get a new ship.

The millions of skill points you accumulate during a few months wont help you when you are up against an enemy with a zillion points, trillions of isk money which he bought on ebay and target acquisition range far above what you can muster. Basically you need to spend a year to build up a good profile before you can display some sort of fighting ability or you buy a profile off-market.

There is no way you can combine this game with a girlfriend, social life, work and maybe some sports.
    I will disagree. You just don't fly what you can't afford to lose. And for pvp, you stick with T1 frigs and modules. Get about 10-20 of them, fit them out and them position them near some .4 space like Tama. Or stay in high sec and flip cans. You can scare up some fun pvp that way. Or have a corp mate jetcan mine, and you and some buddies go wait a few hundred k out and warp in on the can flipper.

If you run level 4 missions or mine with at least a retriever, you can earn some very nice isk, and get in some seriously fun pew pew. Even if you can't run level 4s, you can still mine, be an industrialist, or play in the most exciting pvp - trading.

But EVE is definitely NOT an easy MMO. Casual players can have fun, and believe it or not, SP and isk aren't all that important. Toons bought off ebay are easily killed, as there is actual player skill involved, and a 3 billion isk Golem will die to a 1 million isk Rifter, if the Golem pilot doesn't know what he's doing.

And I combine this all with a wife, work, and skiing. (Though the wife aggro sometimes is worse than pulling an entire room with a bare ship)
    Last edited by Naffenea; 11 Feb 10, 22:20.

Leave a comment:

• Eilig
    replied
    I tried this game on three different occasions but stopped playing every time for the same reason - it is simply extremely time consuming. You could spend hours waiting with a gang for sh*t to go down and when finally there was some combat you will be dead before you know it. Then you need to warp here and there (which also takes hours) to get a new ship.

The millions of skill points you accumulate during a few months wont help you when you are up against an enemy with a zillion points, trillions of isk money which he bought on ebay and target acquisition range far above what you can muster. Basically you need to spend a year to build up a good profile before you can display some sort of fighting ability or you buy a profile off-market.

There is no way you can combine this game with a girlfriend, social life, work and maybe some sports.

Leave a comment:

• Galeric
    replied
    Great game, problem is.. there are to many goons in eve, which ruins the game for me.

Leave a comment:

• String
    replied
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung View Post
    No.
    Well, the Apocrypha expansion included the so called "wormhole space" which can only be accessed through randomly spawning and closing wormholes that are scattered all over the galaxy. Those wormholes can only be found via the new and improved (imho) scanning system. The wormhole systems sometimes link together via other wormholes, the wormholes themselves collapse and open randomly to different systems. It is, in fact, possible to become "lost in space".

When a wormhole collapses there is always another wormhole spawned that leads out of the system, but it might lead into deeper unknown space or even back into the normal space.. but into areas governed by hostile capsuleers. And ofcourse, if you run out of probes for some reason, then you are screwed, because you either have to wait for another player to happen into the system (can be quite rare), or just self-destruct your ship and pod to be re-animated with your clone in normal space. The wormhole systems themselves (of which there are over 2000) contain some rather interesting and quite dangerous exploration sites. The wormholes offer great rewards, especially for smaller exploration groups, rathern than individuals, but also at great risk.

Expeditions there can be quite adventurous.

Here is an in-character report I wrote about a short expedition into a wormhole.
    Last edited by String; 07 Nov 09, 04:18.

Leave a comment:

• AThousandYoung
    replied
    No.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X