No announcement yet.

Wow - the most incredible round in a game that I have EVER played! 2142

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, if in-game advertising on any level is upsetting, please take this time to get over it.
    I have gotten over it and it was the deciding factor in not purchasing the game. I've never been a fan of how EA redid the Battlefield series with "2" and when I read of this.....

So now when I'm in the mood for some online mayhem, I'm off to find a populated "Forgotten Hope" server. I sure hope they haven't given up on it sequel.

Comment

I must say I had a very good laugh with Doc Sinister and Mc Bastard, waiting in a titan corridor and trying to bait the ennemy in our death trap.

Comment

Hey I'm a little lost here. WHat is BF2142 exactly? It sounds like Battefront 2 1942, to me but listening to Sinisters description of his game it didn't sound quiet right. Someone set me right here because whatever he was playing sounds like alot of fun and I'd like to check out!!!
        "The State is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else."

Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by Sand View Post
          I must say I had a very good laugh with Doc Sinister and Mc Bastard, waiting in a titan corridor and trying to bait the ennemy in our death trap.
          Yeah, I was trying to tempt the other side to our Titan with offers of cakes. After waiting doing nothing for about ten minutes, that corridor got very violent all of a sudden.

Originally posted by Kurt Steiner View Post
          Hey I'm a little lost here. WHat is BF2142 exactly? It sounds like Battefront 2 1942, to me but listening to Sinisters description of his game it didn't sound quiet right. Someone set me right here because whatever he was playing sounds like alot of fun and I'd like to check out!!!
          It's Battlefield 2142 - basically Battlefield 2 but set in the future.

Check the following articles:

Review: Battlefield 2142

BF2142: 150 Years of Battlefield Lessons?

Dr. S.
          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Out of curiosity, did all of your points, rank, unlocks, etc. transfer over from your "2" account or does one need to repeat the same long process all over again?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
              Out of curiosity, did all of your points, rank, unlocks, etc. transfer over from your "2" account or does one need to repeat the same long process all over again?
              All entirely separate I'm afraid.

Dr. S.
              Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

That's what I thought.

I didn't play "2" often enough to warrant many unlocks. I think I managed 2 the entire time in over a year and a half. I prefer sniping myself and disliked the constant artillerying by the commander with his omnipresent "eye-in-the-sky" and the lack of many open buildings for cover.

Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with the old engine for now until the new FH mod arrives.

Thanks for the info Doc S. Ya saved me some scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer View Post
                  They certainly did activate them from day one.

Intel, as HEAT said was advertised in game when I picked it up (which admittedly was a month or so after release).

The default ads are for things like "DICE Travel"... Dice is the developer of the game. Thus they have what one would call "House Ads" - - an internet advertising agency usually has default fake ads for times when they can't monetize a real ad.

In the real world it's a blank or random banner, in game it's a fake ad.

The ad's in fact blend very well with the world. After HEAT drew attention to the intel ad (still the only one I've seen - just as alienware has been advertising for years in anarchy online) after seeing it, I realize it had probably been in billboards in game before - it just blended in so well I never noticed.

The ads in BF2142 show up exactly where they would if you were driving around the US countryside - in random billboards.

The difference is when I drive down some highway in the US - I'm generally not being shot at. In BF2142 I am.

I saw a statistic earlier this week that said in game advertising would hit 200 million in US dollars in 2008 I believe. I have to be honest, as much as I'd love that to be true (disclaimer: I work for an internet advertising company), I'm not sure. The level of interactivity between watching TV or browsing the internet and playing an fast paced action game is clearly different.

The placements of Ads in BF2142 - not conducive to effective advertising. There are a lot of places in the game where I spend time sitting there, they just rarely relate to advertising placements which are along roads like traditional advertising.

In game advertising is something as gamers we'll have to deal with - it's the future. It just has a long way to go. And it's not all bad.

If you're playing say BF2142, and you're a sci fi fan, are you really going to be upset if an Ad in game introduces you to a game, show, or movie that you realize is right up your alley?

As a side note, Intel right now is barking up the wrong tree. They're trying to convert people that are probably already knowledgeable. When Intel starts advertising in something like Wii Sports which is geared toward casual gamers they might make some headway.
                  Thank you.

One question I failed to ask - Do these adverts pop-up during actual gameplay?

Comment

Originally posted by Marines View Post
                    Thank you.

One question I failed to ask - Do these adverts pop-up during actual gameplay?

How do you mean?

They're just built into the scenery, and they don't launch anything outside of the game (so it's not like they bring up a browser window or anything).
                    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                      That's what I thought.

I didn't play "2" often enough to warrant many unlocks. I think I managed 2 the entire time in over a year and a half. I prefer sniping myself and disliked the constant artillerying by the commander with his omnipresent "eye-in-the-sky" and the lack of many open buildings for cover.

Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with the old engine for now until the new FH mod arrives.
                      i think the sniping in BF2 is BS because in a firefight ill shoot a whole clip 30 rounds with M16A2 or 20 with G3 and these arent just blaze and pray these are all on single shot but they all miss and the sniper i was shooting at kills me ... although i cant wait for FH its gonna be a HUGE download like Point of Existence which i also want to download
                      "Folks need to be realists and realize that peace is a nice idea, but ultimately unattainable on a worldwide level."
                      - 6thInf Grandson

Comment

• Originally posted by Overseer View Post
                        How do you mean?

They're just built into the scenery, and they don't launch anything outside of the game (so it's not like they bring up a browser window or anything).

No [email protected]#t? I was told it pops up during actual play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marines View Post
                          No, no, no. The whole point of it is that it fits into the game.

The banners are all on billboards in the game, and look warn down like the surroundings. Next time I play I'll see if I can get a screenshot of one for you (although I'm sure you could google to find one).
                          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

• Originally posted by PiNpOiNt99 View Post
                            i think the sniping in BF2 is BS because in a firefight ill shoot a whole clip 30 rounds with M16A2 or 20 with G3 and these arent just blaze and pray these are all on single shot but they all miss and the sniper i was shooting at kills me ... although i cant wait for FH its gonna be a HUGE download like Point of Existence which i also want to download
                            Same here, FH for '42 is just fantastic. I've seen some of the previews of FH for "2" and it looks good. Here's to hoping it gets released.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marines View Post
                              I can kind of picture it now - you're just lining up a kill down the sights of your sniper rifle when up pops a window:

"Why not try our new tasty chocolate chip cookies, only $2.99 a packet, perfect for those long periods of camping near a spawn point".

As the advert closes down, your prey has gone and you are dead.

Can't really see that going down at all.

Marines, I think someone's been pulling your leg over this 2142 business, first they tell you it has Starforce with it, next they try and make out it has pop-up adverts, I think you ought to find that person and avoid them from now on.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
                                I can kind of picture it now - you're just lining up a kill down the sights of your sniper rifle when up pops a window:

"Why not try our new tasty chocolate chip cookies, only $2.99 a packet, perfect for those long periods of camping near a spawn point".

As the advert closes down, your prey has gone and you are dead.

Can't really see that going down at all.

Marines, I think someone's been pulling your leg over this 2142 business, first they tell you it has Starforce with it, next they try and make out it has pop-up adverts, I think you ought to find that person and avoid them from now on.

Dr. S.
                                I think someone has been pulling my leg as well.

I was initially infatuated with the BF2142 storyline. It seemed to be a great thing in of itself.

Because you say so...I may give it a try.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X