Wow - the most incredible round in a game that I have EVER played! 2142

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow - the most incredible round in a game that I have EVER played! 2142

Guys, I just have to write this down, it's such a buzz.

I mean, forget alcohol, cigarettes, hard drugs, nothing can possibly beat the high I am on right now.

I've been played BF2142 like there's no tomorrow since I got it - another marathon session this evening saw me playing a few rounds until we got to the Suez Canal map - which we were playing in Titan Mode.

For anyone not familiar with this, a Titan is a gigantic hovering fortress high in the sky which is armed to the teeth and can be used as a sort of aircraft carrier. Each team has one.

The object of the game is to seize control of 5 missile silos on the ground, each of which will fire a missile at the enemy Titan every 2 minutes whilst it is under your team's control.

Once the Titan's energy shields are down, you must assault the enemy Titan, get inside, destroy four reactor consoles and then the reactor itself to make it go critical and explode. All the while, you have to defend your captured silos on the ground and defend your own Titan.

I took Alpha Squad into battle on behalf of the EU in this game - normally I suck at being Squad Leader and I usually let someone else do it, but today, I was the highest ranking person in the squad (Lance Corporal, Silver level) so I got the job. Launching in heavily armed gunships from our own Titan (shades of Huey helicopters in Apocalypse Now), we soon seized control of a silo and lifted off to head for the next one. I was in my favourite role of Support Gunner. I had unlocked 6 items so far in my "career" and was equipped with a personal shield and an automatic sentry gun.

After a while, my Squad and I found ourselves fighting for our lives in defence of Silo 3. The enemy kept sending wave after wave of troops and vehicles after us, huge battle walkers, tanks, APCs, buggies, snipers and assault troops. I died a few times, we all did of course but no matter how many times we died, we held on to the silo - at one stage we even managed to call in a gunship and dispatch forces to seize another silo whilst our Commander rained orbital death on our enemies. For about half an hour, we fought for our silo, making sure that our missiles rained upon the enemy Titan...until...

Eventually, the enemy Titan shields dropped and we mounted an assault on the interior. Alas, I died pretty quickly, and the first few waves of troops we sent in there suffered the same fate. The delay was costly, in the intervening period, some silos on the ground had been lost and our own Titan's shields were down. Alas, our Commander seemed oblivious to this, so I spawned inside our ship to mount a defence. It was now a race against time...

It soon became clear that the enemy had managed to land a beacon in our Titan - this meant no more airborne assault, they could simply respawn inside. In desperation, I called for assistance, and one by one my Squad made it to my position.

I dispatched a team to defend a second corridor whilst I and another Support Gunner set up my sentry gun in the narrow corridor leading to console 1, along with our energy shields. These would afford us limited protection, but it was better than nothing.

The cool part was that the sentry gun would open fire instantly, at the slightest sign of enemy movement, and so, as the enemy assaulted us time and time again from around the corner into the narrow corridor, we were able to eliminate them and keep ourselves resupplied with ammo' as we were Support Gunners (we had ammo' hubs).

All the while, our recaptured silos on the ground, and, presumably, assault teams inside the enemy Titan, wreaked havoc on their systems, but only three of their consoles were taken out - and although we were defending two of our own consoles, the others were vulnerable - and were ultimately destroyed.

Imagine - simultaneous combat on the ground, and aboard each Titan, and my little battle, as important as it was, was only a small part...

With the Titan computer impassively warning us that our hull integrity was failing and that consoles were being taken out, my comrade and I found ourselves in a pitched battle with smoke grenades, frag's and rockets coming toward us, all whilst we valiantly poured fire back on the enemy with our LMGs and our single sentry gun. Every time one of us died, we rushed back to the corridor to support the other, it was so intense, I can't describe the buzz.

Imagine the scene, as black-clad enemy troops came around the corner, the noise and smoke of battle as we fought at almost point-blank range, the frantic reloading, the explosions, the roar of the sentry gun, the cries of pain and anguish...all whilst I watch the upper part of the screen out of the corner of my eye and see our consoles taken out, our hull integrity falling, but the enemy hull integrity edging toward thin sliver...our Commander shouting over the com' "Keep going boys! Superb!". What a rush...

The best part is that during this battle I got promoted, not once, but twice, in the space of just a couple of minutes, and I racked up about 5 medals and/or pins - given that when I started the battle I was about 100 points away from a promotion and I normally get about 30 points a time, this was awesome. I think I gained about 600 points in ONE battle!

Finally, the enemy Titan exploded - and we had won, but only just.

I mean...wow...

Guys, you have to get this game, we could field an awesome squad.

Here's my score chart for the round anyway.

Am now a Master Corporal Silver level (two ranks higher) with two more unlocks - one of which is a nice HMG.

Dr. S.
    Attached Files
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

DS, you might have just convinced me to grab BF2142.
    "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

Do it - I absolutely love this game, even when I'm playing badly.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
        Do it - I absolutely love this game, even when I'm playing badly.

Dr. S.
        Is it that much better than BF2? Or do you just like it because you are a science-fiction fan?
        "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
        - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
        - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gobeavs View Post
          Is it that much better than BF2? Or do you just like it because you are a science-fiction fan?
          It plays identically to BF2, I think it's because I'm a sci-fi fan and I love big stompy robots and huge chunky guns.

I also seem to play better in the future than in the present.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I played the heck outta the demo, but I never had any battles like that! It is most certainly a fun game. You doing a review on it, Doctor?
            Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

very cool Doc. i'm thinking if converting to BF2142 for two reason, BF2 has turned into a nade and claymore fest. it's really driving me nuts, tell me, what are the nades like in BF2142? are people sitting next to a supply crate, defending a flag by unloaded nade after nade?

the best time i had in the beta of BF2142 was assaulting the titan, that was alot of fun.

Comment

I may actually go out and get this one... just maybe...
                The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Originally posted by jayedub7423 View Post
                  very cool Doc. i'm thinking if converting to BF2142 for two reason, BF2 has turned into a nade and claymore fest. it's really driving me nuts, tell me, what are the nades like in BF2142? are people sitting next to a supply crate, defending a flag by unloaded nade after nade?

the best time i had in the beta of BF2142 was assaulting the titan, that was alot of fun.
                  I've seen precisely nothing of this sort of activity - but maybe it's early days. Every game I've played has been played right down the line by everyone.

If you get it, let me know and we can team up.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

What's your login Doc? I'm in!!

Comment

I play it, but not online. I tweaked the kits(some quite significantly) , changed some unlocks, allowed all the maps in coop, and added more bots and play through a lan with my friends.

Comment

[QUOTE=Doctor Sinister;590916]

Every time one of us died, we rushed back to the corridor to support the other, it was so intense, I can't describe the buzz.
                        i know the feeling. ive been in a few battles like this in BF2:MC, BF1942 and BF:V and its the greatest feeling at the end if your team won. its like adrenaline almost the feeling after such an intense firefight/battle.

we should have a battlefield "War Stories" thread where we tell of our online escapades whether it be against the germans or the MEC.
                        "Folks need to be realists and realize that peace is a nice idea, but ultimately unattainable on a worldwide level."
                        - 6thInf Grandson

Comment

Originally posted by Sand View Post
                          What's your login Doc? I'm in!!
                          DoctorSinister of course.

Would be great to see you there!

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post
                            I played the heck outta the demo, but I never had any battles like that! It is most certainly a fun game. You doing a review on it, Doctor?
                            My review is now on the front page.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PiNpOiNt99 View Post
                              i know the feeling. ive been in a few battles like this in BF2:MC, BF1942 and BF:V and its the greatest feeling at the end if your team won. its like adrenaline almost the feeling after such an intense firefight/battle.

we should have a battlefield "War Stories" thread where we tell of our online escapades whether it be against the germans or the MEC.
                              There are a few threads knocking around like that, but it's been a while since the last one - it's a good idea.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X