EA to include monitoring software on BF2142

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA to include monitoring software on BF2142

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=13049860.
    So. In the latest CGW podcast, they received retail boxed copies of BF 2142.

When you open the box, a big slip of paper falls out first, preceeding any discs or manuals. The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads.

Now, I can live with certain in-game ads (though apparently there will be Dodge truck and Neon ads in the bleak, futuristic world of 2142), but including a lengthy description - outside of even the Eula - seems to indicate even EA knows that this is some shady borderline spyware ****. I don't support it and won't be buying 2142 (for a host of other reasons, too).
    Big Brother is your friend.

well that will be $50 i can spend on other games! i havent been all that impressed with this game from the start, and having that monitoring crap made the decision to not buy this game an easier one.

Comment

Much ado about nothing considering how everyone happily uses browsers that do the exact same thing...
      “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer View Post
        Much ado about nothing considering how everyone happily uses browsers that do the exact same thing...
        I didn't pay 50$ for my browser...come to think of it I didn't pay anything for my browser?

Comment

Originally posted by Archamus View Post
          I didn't pay 50$ for my browser...come to think of it I didn't pay anything for my browser?
          Erm. So?

I'm all for this idea, assuming they actually benefit the customers with it. Because the game can continue to generate revenue, I would hope they would put much more time and effort into updates and continued content.

Unfortunately, this is EA.
          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer View Post
            Erm. So?

I'm all for this idea, assuming they actually benefit the customers with it. Because the game can continue to generate revenue, I would hope they would put much more time and effort into updates and continued content.

Unfortunately, this is EA.
            i would agree with you on this actually. if the game was a little cheaper, and new content was free because of the revenue generated thru the in game ads, then i would be a big supporter of this. but like you said, this is EA.

Comment

http://pcgames.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/10572/
              EA Suggest Ridiculous BF2142 Bug Fix

Home : News : Battlefield 2142 : News Story

EA released a patch for Battlefield 2142 today, but for players with a certain Windows security update it will crash the game. EA's bug fix? Uninstall the vital security update. Nice.

According to the Battlefield 2142 patch readme:

"Players who have the Windows security update KB917422 installed may suffer from an application error when running Battlefield 2142. This error can be solved by uninstalling the KB917422 update."

Wondering what the Windows security update KB917422 does? According to Microsoft:

"A security issue has been identified in the Windows Kernel that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it."

First EA put spyware in the game which monitors your browser activity, and now they're asking players to uninstall vital security updates. Is it just me or does this game sound like more trouble than it's worth?
              Oct 18, 2006

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X