HE or AP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HE or AP?

What's best to use? In after-battle reports I noticed AP rounds do lower amounts of damage per shot. Also with no data on ship armour (that I know of), using AP rounds is kind of a shot in the dark. They could go through and cause catastrophic damage or not, you never know. They never did when I used them, but I don't use them much.

First of all you can get an armor guide and diagram for about a dozen of the games warships at

menzgaming.com/worldofwarships/

These will also give you a general idea about the layout of other ships. The best place for firing AP is into the side of the ship (90 degree angle preferred). Aim under the guns or midships at the waterline.
    Last edited by Widow Maker; 28 Jul 16, 10:15.
    "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
    Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

You commented elsewhere that you are currently playing mostly destroyers. Destroyer sized guns (127mm or less) can get away with firing almost exclusively HE. You still might want to switch to AP if a destroyer or another lightly armored ship shows you a full broadside. DD guns will fail to penetrate thicker armor and will frequently bounce or ricochet doing zero damage. Those ricochets will do zero damage.

Your end of battle report show you total damage done by shell type. Some of your AP rounds may have been effective but the ricochets will really lower your average damage.

For other ships the rule of thumb is to fire HE if the enemy has his bow or stern pointed towards you and to use AP when they show more broadside..

Also the best place to start fire is the superstructure so HE does well aimed higher on a ship. AP does best hitting below te guns and near the waterline at aim lower on the target with AP.

It varies by the ship you are using and the ship you are firing at. HE can still start fires even if they do zero damage. Watch your results as you hit if you can't penetrate or do enough damage at any angle with AP use HE. At the same time Battleships take a looong time to switch shell types. Since I can penetrate a lot of light cruisers (like the Omaha and Tenryu) at any angle I tend to just stick with AP more often when using battleships.

Comment

Thank you for the time you took to explain and for the link (bookmarked it).

Here's the highest damage I did so far. Did it with the tier 4 Japanese aircraft carrier.
        Attached Files

Comment

lol

I'm glad you decided to get that carrier!

I have yet to do that much damage The best I have done is 104K damage. Great job!

I did not capture that screen. But I got that with a tier 5 Battleship.

Comment

General rule is
            If you are a BB and firing at anything lower than you use HE
            BB to BB AP or HE depending on distance and angle.
            Striaght on shot HE or extreme range.
            If you are a CA and firing at anything lower use HE
            CA to CA AP
            DD always use HE
            Are we there yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Dano View Post
              General rule is
              If you are a BB and firing at anything lower than you use HE
              BB to BB AP or HE depending on distance and angle.
              Striaght on shot HE or extreme range.
              If you are a CA and firing at anything lower use HE
              CA to CA AP
              DD always use HE
              I'm going to disagree with part of this.

BB's (except the Arkansas Beta) should be firing AP at everything except DD's. AP will over-penetrate the destroyers and do minimal to no damage. I exclude the Arkansas Beta from that rule because she does as much damage with HE as she does with AP, sometimes more.

Because of the reload times for BB's it isn't very profitable to switch ammo types when fighting other BB's

For Cruisers (CA) You have to be more picky about your ammo choices vs opponents. AP works well against most CA's but not against the St. Louis and Bogatyr (Tier3) as they are both protected cruisers and have surprising AP resistance. Unless you are in a heavy gunned Tier5 or higher cruiser I would suggest using HE against those two targets. And the only tier v cruiser that's gunned heavily enough to be AP effective against them is the Furutaka which they won't encounter with any regularity unless MM is drunk.

The nice thing about the main batteries on CA's is their reload speeds are fast enough that you can swap ammo types efficiently to alternate between HE (set them on fire) to AP (hit them from criticals and citadels) and back to HE (set them on fire again and use their repairs up)

Anything shooting at DD's (inclusing other DD's) should be using HE pretty much exclusively. The higher tier DD's (8,9,10) have more utility with AP but the low tier DD's will almost never be effective with it.
              BoRG
              'A Battle is the Shield Wall. It's smelling your enemy's breath while he tries to disembowel you with an axe'

Comment

There is a setting that you can turn on to see what your shots are doing. "ribbons on" I think.

For this when I use AP against other BBs unless a side shot almost every shot is a bounce.
                Are we there yet?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X