TenThousandSuns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TenThousandSuns

This isn't a game with a serious chance of being made. I do some work in php on my webhost and my personal apache server testing features alone. But I haven't gotten far enough in finalizing the design to do any c++ or physics or modeling stuff.

In any case the game is a more old fashioned RPG with regards to instances and phasing, ie. it hasn't got them at all. It is designed to be as much a virtual world as possible and it has no overarching story line or quests. The game would be well defined as a sandbox with my goal being to put in much more sand than is usually attempted.

I am currently discussing the game at various game design sites and I spent some time on large mmorpg fan forums discussing it, but that was bogged down by many themepark oriented posters as well as a large group who insisted that the push in the industry towards diablo style hacknslash did not constitute the loss of the massively aspect of mmorpgs.

The reason I am posting about it at ACG is because one of its unique features is the implementation of many 4x and rts elements which simply don't exist in modern WoW style themepark mmorpgs.

I suppose the aspect most related to the rts super genre is the pve. If any of you have played Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim the monster behavior in that game was one of the concepts I started with in creating my pve content.

However I wanted it to be more than that. Majesty suffers from a fatal problem. After a certain amount of time, assuming you use the proper economic structure, for instance I would make 3-4 markets right by my castle if I could manage it, the game is essentially impossible to lose. There is a breakpoint after which the non scaling creature assaults become harmless.

Further majesty doesn't support mmorpg style gameplay so I had to have a system that not only scaled over time, but could be scaled up to mmorpg scales. I implemented a lore based rift system whereby whenever a player comes through the spawn point, or world gate, into the game world a rift is either spawned or widened randomly. Every "spawn" cycle rifts release a group of creatures/monsters into the world based on their various levels.

I also thought that in order to create the impression of a living world, that monsters should have some interactions. I remembered Dwarf Fortress and I thought that it would be nice if the game world possessed some, though certainly not all, of that complexity. Creatures will interact in some ways based on tags applied to them.

Going forward with the majesty analogy, players take the place of all the buildings and defenders in the game. Players will stand in for the heroes and the economics. There are no NPCs in the game. There are no premade cities or regions. Players will be the rangers, the rogues, the wizards, the potion makers, the blacksmiths, the enchanters, everything. Players will construct all of the buildings in the game. Players will form guilds and settlements and cities and nations.

The gameplay actually takes place over a series of theoretically infinite worlds. There will be one or more starting worlds which will also play a part in the pvp of the game. Whether there will be pvp and what it will be like is still being settled. I really like EvE style pvp but I understand that that will put many players off and I consider the PVE to be the more important part of the game. Each world will be generated with different specialties in magic and theme and creatures and resources. Some worlds will possess better metals or plants and so forth. Combining resources from each world in the same item will provide various special bonuses.

Exploration will be a massive part of the game. Exploring will be needed to find and keep track of resource spawns.
    There will be the magic aspect where words of power used in the magic system are found in the world. The first player to find the word will get it, later explorers will not find new words in well explored areas. There may be an option to leave the word if the player wishes.
    There will also be the rts combat aspect of exploring. Players will want to check over areas regularly to watch for new creature inhabitants and build ups of creature armies and so forth. Due to the nature of the creature system areas do not possess static monster groups and when you kill a monster its gone permanently and has to be replaced by rift spawns or breeding. What was once a goblin cave could become a dragon lair.
    Not only do you have to explore for many reasons in your own world but you will want to explore other worlds. There are lots of incentives to exploring other worlds. Both established mages and mages guilds will want access to the magic to be found there. New players or kingdoms wanting to get into magic may also want to create gates to other worlds to gain those capabilities.
    Other reasons would be to find out what sort of resources those worlds have to offer. Not only singly better resources but being able to have access to the multi world bonuses.

In regards to city building and commerce:
    Players will be able to build buildings for many purposes. Castles, guildhalls, shops, crafting and storage buildings, walls, and defense towers are all possible. Great Wall of China? The Wall of the Night's Watch? Totally doable(probably not made entirely of ice). There may not be a complicated enough physics/construction engine to build the White City of Gondor, although perhaps it would be possible to have a flattening function and diagonally cut stone and perhaps you could do it. Perhaps not AAA level graphics though.

Crafting is sort of SWG/ATITD hybrid style. You can build capital, to a limited degree, no automation or anything like that. Resources are tiered based on subtype and have random bonuses and random depleting spawns. Crafting uses varying skills from processing to completion. Skills can be leveled infinitely however the experience to skill multiplier ratio experiences diminishing returns. In a given skill the most likely multiplier is 2x-5x base value for the highest experience levels. Each action in crafting has a skill associated with it. The majority of crafted items will have value unless the crafter to user ratio is too high. There is a decay system also which is probably stricter than what most people are used to. And there are no loot drops, only crafting materials when creatures are killed. The economy is totally player run.

Would any of you guys play a game like this?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X