Moving on with some games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving on with some games

Ok my computer isn't 'new' but then it sure isn't old.

It's running 64 bit Windows 7, likely doesn't require it, might be better using 32 bit, but frankly I want a system with the amount of ram eventually.

Frankly some games are as dead as my youth when it comes to running them, and I equally frankly don't care is some have old PC running old no longer useful for much of anything else OSs. I also don't think overly highly of running DOSconfusingBox. I've given it a few goes a few times, and it about as appealing as loading old OSs on old machines.

I've tried Virtual this and that, and they either don't like this or don't like that. The laptop tells me it can't support the program.

So I'm moving on with some programs, whether I 'like it' or not.

Panzer General 2. It won't run in 64 bit. Bye PG2
    Oddly enough Panzer General is an option thanks to PGForever being offered. Means I don't need to hoard my older Win95 file of Panzer General that at least didn't complain about running. And neat too, the PGForever file has Allied General (which was often a hassle thanks to Wing.32.dll.

V4Victory, it sucks, but not 64 bit interested.

And the list goes on.

What is odd is when I found games older that still run.
    I have the old game Firefight 4.0 which you might remember being offered from Matrix Games till one day they quietly swept it under the rug
    It's actually not such a crummy game.

I've dumped a lot of files I have hoarded for a few years now, that I never really did much with and now the choice is academic.

I am still holding on to Steel Panthers 3 though, although I know not why.
    Steel Panthers in general doesn't much like Windows any more regardless of it having been altered. Not altered enough I suppose.
    But it's my oldest buddy so to speak in computer wargaming terms.
    I can still load it and run it, but the mouse is a pain.

When it comes right down to it, computer wargames didn't save wargaming at all. Every game you buy today, likely won't be worth much to you in 5 years.
    Meanwhile, my board games ALL run EXACTLY the way they were meant to be played. ASL is several decades later still a great game, and Close Combat, Combat Mission, and Steel Panthers, all games that promised to breathe new life into squad level tactical have all basically failed to keep up with a mere board game.
    I can still run the first CM, but the second two give me troubles.
    Close Combat has had to be re released all rebuilt to run.
    Steel Panthers, well I have no idea if anyone will ever get around to replacing it.

Not sure what the reborn Combat Mission will be like.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

I couldn't agree more, Les. I've tried several PC games, and except for my flight sim none lives up to the board games I still have that I bought with paper route money in the 70's and Army money in the 80's. ASL, 3rd Reich, heck, even the old Afrika Korps game still does exactly what it did way back when. Entertain and recreate military situations to be resolved. ASL was worth it to me to buy the original series through GI and to continue on with the Advanced version. At least til they were taken over by MMP.
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx

Comment

I don't hate MMP for being small, I just don't care for everyone fauning over them as the 'saviours' of ASL. They are too few guys unable to get more than a bit o cash at one time, and NOT seemingly interested in EVER going past being just a few guys with a bit of cash.

The game needs a gang of wargamers with a dream like Matrix Games. Matrix Games is run by a man that had a plan to be more than just some guys releasing a free updated game (Steel Panthers). Today Matrix Games is likely not going to get grief if they claim to be BIGGER than AH ever was.

If Matrix Games was running MMP's responsibilities, the game's parts would all be in stock. No whining about it.

ASL dies the second MMP gets bored. That's the simple truth.
      Get what you can while you can, because tomorrow might not come.
      I have pdfs of stuff I have not been able to score yet. Lousy substitute though. But there is no reason to think MMP will be there one year to the next. They could vanish suddenly and I wouldn't be shocked.

Sorry guys family troubles, bye, thanks for the fish.

If being part owned by a wealthy famous baseball player can't keep a few %[email protected]# copies of a [email protected]#[email protected]# board game in stock........

Finally got the wireless sorted on the laptop (this is my first serious laptop post). Just a matter of time (likely days) before the PC becomes a massive storage box for my movies and a downloader.
      This wargamer doesn't call Call of Duty a #@[email protected] wargamer. I don't need the processor power of a gamer rig to push pixel wargame pieces.

I've seen discussions of gamer and gaming directions at Gamesquad.
      If the idea is wargaming can only be played on a PC, then wargaming won't die, it will merely be forced back off the PC.
      Maybe I won't care.
      There is no real growth in PC wargaming. Sales of even the good titles is not what I call 'profitable'. I often wonder why some even make the effort of doing it commercially.
      Honestly, if I won the lottery, I'd hire Gary and Bill, and I'd tell them, I want Steel Panthers put back on my Windows 7 computer, how much will it cost, make it now. I'd change the name of course. Maybe call it Iron Horses or something. Everyone would be told it was the same game, I merely had to pick a legal new name

I'd put it on sale for a pittance. Enough to cover bandwidth maybe.
      Hey, with millions of bucks, I'd expect to get my game made
      Profit? As long as I could claim to be the guy that rescued Steel Panthers, I'd be happy.

Comment

For repeatedly insulting members of the forums over a short period of time you are getting a weeks time out. Take the time to reflect on your actions. Repeated violations will result in further sanctions - ACG STAFF.
        Last edited by RichardS; 30 Nov 10, 16:24.

Comment

Being a nitch market in a world owned by big houses that develope games across different platforms wargames seem to live in the shadows- but I'm not so doom and gloom about the future. Matrix for example has several excellent game series going- like the Forge of Freedom/Panzer Command, and may I say a couple of 4x space games - as well as updated classics like Talansoft's campaign series- which I still play quite often.

Over at paradox we have some excellent complex games from HOI2 to the New Victoria- with another Crusader Kings forthcoming.

The fact these games don't appear on every store shelf or have the latest wissbang graphics doesn't mean our little neck of the woods isn't growing. Times they are a changing yes, but we can also change with them. Many- dozens of independants- now have affodable technology that can up the titles in eye candy, speed and power- before unintainable by budgets - and I still believe the most creative developers are right here in the Wargaming community- along with the best fan base that can be found.

It is bound to grow and continue to- and somewhere along the line someone's going to release that one title that is so unigue and groundbreaking it will bring new gamers into the circle.

Cream floats--and we got a lot of cream guys. don't be so bleak.

Comment

Hmm lots of things have happened since June when I last commented on the thread.

Since June I have bought the rebuilt Close Combat titles. Not sure my brain was engaged No that is not about the games, but about 'did I need to buy these?'. I have also dropped cash on Command Ops Battles from the Bulge. But even though I think it is a great game, I am not playing it enough.

And then I got BBC Battlefield Academy which made me reeeeeeeally wish I had some resistance to buying wargames. Damnit, I feel like a woman in a shoe store some days. If this had come out in say March, I would have been able to resist all the other titles as this would have been enough.

And the other day I waffled and re installed my Steel Panthers and decided I would just deal with the mouse issue by hitting next unit till I was sure I had done everything with every unit rather than mouse scolling around the board. Slows the game down, but nothing really compares to a game of Mega Campaigns.

But the really nice news has to be the game Legends of War: Patton's Campaign out for PSP and due out for the PS3. I mean, wow, is it possible, I might finally have a game to buy for my PS3? Awesome. And a turn using head to head capable WW2 game. With indications it might be part of a series.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
              ....Panzer General 2. It won't run in 64 bit. Bye PG2....
              On the contrary, Panzer General II will run in 64 bit. I know this because I got it up and running on my 64 bit Windows 7 machine. Here is what I did:
              • Purchased Panzer General II from Good Old Games (yes, I didn't like spending another $9.99 for a game I already own two retail copies of, but it's worth it)
              • Downloaded and installed DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)
              • Fired up PG2--it played flawlessly

Now I don't have to play PG2 on my Windows XP PC anymore.
              "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

I've since gone to 32 bit at any rate. I found having 64 bit, after some thiught, was dumb, considering my machine had no future of ever going past 4 gigs of ram at any rate.

I've found though, that PG2 still is a bit prone to crashing on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tagwyn View Post
                  For repeatedly insulting members of the forums over a short period of time you are getting a weeks time out. Take the time to reflect on your actions. Repeated violations will result in further sanctions - ACG STAFF.
                  Do you happen to check the political forums as well as i found many many posts where insults are common? I have doubts about it...

Comment

I am on Win XP Pro SP3 32b.

I have a question about Win7 32b vs 64b? When you buy a copy of Win7 (say Ultimate) can you simply choose whether you install the 32b or 64b version and later switch to the other? Or do you need purchase one version or the other?

Thanks.

Comment

Windows 7 like previous versions if I am not mistaken, is one or the other, not both on the disk.

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate and a Windows 7 Enterprise edition. Both are only the type they are 64 or 32 bit.

Oh and to comment on the Politics forums. We generally tell people to wear their thick skin if they plan to go in there. The rules still apply, but, staff is unlikely to call common bland PG13 put downs a major violation of guidelines.

That's opinion though. I am not the management.

Comment

This one on Amazon says that it has both. Of course, I probably won't have Windows 7 or 8 until I purchase a new system. It is so much cheaper bundled than retail.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-GLC-...1304989&sr=1-7

Comment

I've lamented not being able to continue to upgrade my PC over the last few years. The money just isn't there anymore. But the flip side is that I can still run most of the older games I love, like PG2.

Recently I downloaded Zork I. But I have to be honest, I just don't have the patience for those old text adventures anymore.
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X