Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo AD&D

My fellow AG'ers,

My 11 year old has recently found all my AD&D books and wants me to run a game for him. I have a couple of problems:

1/ All my old AD&D friends are scattered around the world
    2/ I am a crap GM
    3/ I can't find a good solo game on the net. I have googled and googled but I have nothing to give to him

I am hoping that one of you might have a good one player game for a beginner, or at least a good link.

His birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I hope I can give him a good scenario for his birthday.

And, yeah, he will get other presents like sweeping the drive and doing the dishes.

But seriously anyone that can help will be my bestest buddy.

Ro
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Can't help you on the 1st edition literature aspect. But, what you want to do is check out the Wizards of the coast forums and ask in the forums there.

Although I can't for the life of me think of anything other than start learning how to use the program Fantasy Grounds II. It's a virtual table top program, and maybe you and the kid can join a virtual game as players and let another do the DM task.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Thanks Les but he really wants to do a one on one thing with me. He's a good lad but hasn't got a lot of confidence so I am hoping that we can run a couple of games together and he will feel like joining a group.

I'll give that forum a try though and see what they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
        My fellow AG'ers,

My 11 year old has recently found all my AD&D books and wants me to run a game for him. I have a couple of problems:

1/ All my old AD&D friends are scattered around the world
        2/ I am a crap GM
        3/ I can't find a good solo game on the net. I have googled and googled but I have nothing to give to him

I am hoping that one of you might have a good one player game for a beginner, or at least a good link.
        Not sure what else is out there but Dragonsfoot has some stuff for both 1st and 2nd Edition AD&D. I haven't played any DnD for eons but 1st Edition AD&D was my game of choice back in the day (late 70's through the 80's) for DnD anyway. Mostly we played a homebrew AD&D, Rolemaster and Harn, probably a lot of other games too . . its been a while.
        Last edited by Double Deuce; 03 Jun 10, 17:30.
        [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Hey Rojik

Aside from what Double Deuce mentioned, you can try checkingout Harn, it's very highly recommended by one of my GM friends. He was able to download some materials from the net; he says the system is really simple and he was able to get really really detailed and well-done maps. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

GMan
          "We have no white flag."

Comment

Expeditious Retreat Press puts out a line called "1 on 1 Adventures." They are designed for D20 (3.0 or 3.5?). But if you're playing 1st ed who cares. 1st ed is wonderful in the breadth of flexibility and imagination it requires. You can probably find them in a comic book shop or used books store still. Maybe EBay. Look at the modules closely first though. Some of them aren't appropriate for an 11 year old (The Pleasure Prison of the Bíthuvian Demon *****).

Goodman Games puts out "Dungeon Crawl Classics." They are simple and would be a lot of fun for an 11 year old. They aren't 1:1 but can be easily scaled.

Other resources to check for free modules
            http://www.dragonsfoot.org/fe/#FEAD13
            http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...030530b&page=1

You can always scale a group adventure. Make the challenges easier. Change some monsters. Give big monsters a disadvantage like taking away special abilities. etc... Or you can give your son a hireling/follower/NPC. Or just let him play two characters. Whatever would be fun for the two of you.
            Last edited by Duncan; 03 Jun 10, 18:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
              Or you can give your son a hireling/follower/NPC. Or just let him play two characters. Whatever would be fun for the two of you.
              Probably one of the best tips for a small party and something I would do and have done. The hireling aspect helps keep them focused on the main PC with the hireling as support as opposed to trying to maintain run multiple PC's. With the support as a hirelings you can use them to "suggest" things to the player without seeming like you are running "their" characters.

Comment

For an 11 year old having a hireling/follower may also make them feel a little more heroic in a "I'm the boss" kinda way.

Comment

Not a slag on 1st edition, just a comment.

4th edition has the DDI membership which allows access to a PC Generator which can spit out 100% fully completed PC is less time than my post will take.

The point? You can have the 5 person party, and use 4 of the 5 PCs as cool super detailed NPCs and let the kid be the one they want to be.

You can get perfectly easy to use modules for 1st level and Keep on Shadwfell is drop dead easy to run. You will only REALLY require a Players Handbook for 4th edition, and if the initial game goes well, you can justify getting a DMs book and maybe Monster Manual 1.

I play 4th edition, and it is very kid friendly if you resist the urge to go on a spending spree on books (good luck on that by the way hehe).

The math process in 4th is a lot less strain for a kid, and if you print out the PC from the PC Generator program presto no need to worry about the kid's printing skills.

You by the way hold the other 4 PC records, and just run them as any other NPC. You just don't need to spend all afternoon writing them up.
                  Life is change. Built models for decades.
                  Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                  I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                    Not a slag on 1st edition, just a comment.

4th edition has the DDI membership which allows access to a PC Generator which can spit out 100% fully completed PC is less time than my post will take.
                    True but forking out $$ for a completely new system (4th edition) might be a problem especially when he already appears to have 1st Ed stuff. I would start there and if enough interest go to another version later.

Comment

I would highly recommend giving "Tunnels and Trolls" a look.

It is "old school" in two senses:
                      1. The first edition was published in '75, so it is contemporary with original D&D
                      2. There is no need to learn hundreds of pages of rules. Even the latest version (7.5) is just over 170 pages and includes rules for the game master, player, monsters and even a sample adventure.

One of the major points of T&T is that it has always been playable solo, and there are a large number of adventures available for solo play. It can also be played with a group.

An abridged but fully playable set of version 5.5 of the rules (often considered the best version) is available here for free (includes a solo and GM'd adventure):

http://www.tunnelsandtrolls.com/rule...hedition.shtml

Here are a couple of free solo adventures, two of which were written by the games original designer - Ken St. Andre:

http://www.gristlegrim.com/tunnelsandtrollssolos.shtml

You could no doubt work the solo adventure with you and your son playing side by side versus the system.
                      Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I've been a bit busy this weekend and have only has a chance to glance at some of the places mentioned but they all look pretty good so far. I've got the page bookmarked and will have a better better look tomorrow arvo if I get a chance.

I'll let you know how I did.

Originally posted by Roadkiller View Post
                        I would highly recommend giving "Tunnels and Trolls" a look.
                        I forgot about that. I had the books in the early eighties but I think I gave them away as I moved onto AD&D. Worth a look for sure.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                          Prawn heads
                          by Karri
                          How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                          Today, 11:40
                        • Jose50
                          Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                          by Jose50
                          Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                          Today, 08:41
                        • Von Richter
                          Sagittarius Rising...
                          by Von Richter
                          Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                          Today, 01:19
                        Working...
                        X