Manuals manuals manuals, no one listens to the answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manuals manuals manuals, no one listens to the answers

Here it is 2010, a long way from when I got into wargaming on the computer.

The world changed, and that's just something you get to deal with. No stop crying about not getting a manual, it's 2010 and the world changed. Deal with it.

I have some of the oft mentioned manuals that came with games of the past.

Ok for instance every version of Civilization has come with some sort of manual. Civ is not a wargame, it is mainstream and it's actually not impossible to get a console based retailer to put it on the shelf.

That matters. Circulation power and shelf presence and and the ability to move hundreds of thousands of copies makes a difference.

Our wargaming hobby's wargame titles don't live in the same market, and thus whining, but that game has a manual doesn't mean squat.

But but but, this wargame from the dawn of computer wargaming had a manual... see comment about it being a different world again, read till you get the point.

I just bought Command Ops Battles From the Bulge.
    83 bucks, digital download, no manual in a box.
    Oh it comes with a pdf file though, all 213 pages of manual in colour. And that's one of three manuals too.

But War in the Pacific Admirals Edition has a manual of 200 sum pages.
    Yes and Erik has stated (no one is interested in listening perhaps), that it was printed in China, and they consider it in retrospect a mistake. If they could turn back the clock, there wouldn't be an Admiral's Edition hard copy manual either.

I've seen recent manuals 'that came with the game'. Even my favourite publisher Matrix Games can't really do it very well. They tend to be too small, with microscopic print further made a lack of thrill for it being a faded grey and supported by faded washed out grey toned illustrations. Oh joy oh bliss. Maybe YOU like reading with a magnifying glass, but I don't. I'll settle for reading a pdf on the screen here. The screen is a 22" wide screen, it's not like I am forced to squint.

And don't mention about not liking reading a book on your PC, it's for a wargame right? oh like you won't be sitting there for hour after hour after hour playing the game. So don't come trying to tell us reading in the same place is a massive burden.

God some wargamers are truly wimps aren't they eh

And the most beloved comment, 'this game cost X dollars, that means a manual should have been offered'.
    Well if you read the above, you already know, the manual will suck even if they give you one in most cases. And what makes you think printers print for free?

I don't much care what the trend was in 1995, this isn't 1995.
    In 1995, I sure wasn't sitting front of a 22" wide screen monitor, it was a lousy 14. I sure didn't have anything hand held that could read a full colour 200 page pdf file either.

So what I am saying is, stfu about manuals. If you get one consider yourself lucky, even luckier if it isn't a puny type barely readable hopeless eye killing bad idea. Wargames need manuals that are if nothing, long massive and not doable. They are put out by companies that are NOT making the next mass marketed mainstream 'thing' to play.
    Be glad they had the time and resources to write the pdf file at all.

If you have such a burning need for the print out, suck it up buttercup and take it to a printer and pay for it. It won't kill you. It won't be free. And you might need to not get that case of beer that week.

Just went through my stash of games. Grabbed out all the pdf files. Oodles of hundreds of pages of document. Think I will consider it some casual reading when I am too tired to do anything else and polish up on some of my game's mechanics so I can play a bit better.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

I've gone through quite a bit of the gaming forums, and have seen quite a lot of posts from you. A question. Do you do anything but bitch and complain?

Comment

Bitch and complain is in the eye of the beholder.

I've been asked to beta test wargames ENTIRELY on the strength of the level of my ability to point out aspects all the usual fan boys refuse to point out.

Yeah I have people that hate my comments.

Fortunately, (and while the haters will be pissed off at me suggesting it), I have quite a large audience of people that value my input as well. Because, I assure you, if NO ONE liked hearing any of it, you can bet your left nut I would spend the time to do it.

<----- smart enough to not waste time saying things I know no one at all wants to hear.

I'm assuming you have missed all the posts where I promote great games great companies and great models (I like models a lot too).

Comment

A very well argued case

but

I'm not aware that anyone on the gaming forum has actually complained that they didn't get a big thick printed manual with their latest purchase?

Comment

I tend to blend forums Steve.

What's odd, is how many often think anything I post, absolutely HAS to be about something that was posted here at Armchair General.

I usually draw comments from Matrix Games, Slitherine, Wargamer, Gamesquad and in rare moments from Battefront.

Over at Matrix Games recently, all the buzz was about the price of Command Ops Battles From The Bulge. It was also a hot topic at Wargamer.

And it has also revolved around how it can cost so much, yet not have a manual.
          Most are not aware (it would seem) that the printed manual for Admiral's Edition of War in the Pacific is something management regrets having done, as they had it printed in China, and it was a great hassle.
          So when people comment for instance, that Admiral's Edition of War in the Pacific had a manual, they have to realize, if Matrix Games could turn back time, they might have taken a pass on that manual too.

200 pages in basic black and white though, is not a major burden if done at a good printer. One just has to ask themselves, do you REALLY need it that seriously, or is it just a reason the bitch and complain (bitch and complain almost seems to be something wargamers do like it was a recreational activity).

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
            I tend to blend forums Steve.

What's odd, is how many often think anything I post, absolutely HAS to be about something that was posted here at Armchair General.

I usually draw comments from Matrix Games, Slitherine, Wargamer, Gamesquad and in rare moments from Battefront.
            Like I said, can't fault your postion or your justifications of that position but given the confrontational tone of the language used and the references to multiple counter arguments I just assumed that it was a rebuttal of something someone had posted here.

I was just confused as to who was to "stfu" was all.

Comment

Les confrontational? Sure you have me confused with that rabble rouser Slug

Oh hi Slug, I was just talking about you

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
                Like I said, can't fault your postion or your justifications of that position but given the confrontational tone of the language used and the references to multiple counter arguments I just assumed that it was a rebuttal of something someone had posted here.

I was just confused as to who was to "stfu" was all.
                STFU= Shut The ____ Up.

Ben
                "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

My copy of SC-2 came with a nice color manual, quite long and detailed. Also, I have the PDF on disk and on the website!

Comment

My name actually is featured in the first manual. I have a copy eh.

SC1 was a great game. SC2 is a bad idea that never should have happened.

Tiles suck donkey balls and you KNOW it Hubert. A lack of stacking means you can forget ever being compared to A3R or World in Flames by all but the desperate. That A3R mod is about the same value as the Squad Leader PC game that some of us still remember. The name won't help it be what it will never be.

But I will at least say I've seen better manuals from BFC than I have from Matrix Games. Well printed ones that is.

I have a few Matrix Games manuals. Very small, nearly microscopic print done in a faded useless grey with washed out illustrations that make getting the manual almost as worthless as the idiots that think they were worth getting. Who ever makes those manuals is totally worthless.

Now I've seen the pdf colour manuals that come with Matrix Games. I even printed out the Battles in Normandy one. Very good productions.

Which really goes to show Matrix Games should either put the game in a f**king decent sized box so they can do a large enough manual with a large enough font on a decently white background using a BLACK *******ed text, or not do one at all. 10 bucks for physical copy, yeah right, only a true idiot pays that 10 bucks for the shitty version manual.

And they might want to consider honouring a North American printer rather than going to China and getting the crap service they got for War in the Pacific.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X