Your first Wargames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rember getting Close Combat: Normandy from the Library
    "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
    "

Comment

Diplomacy and Risk in my pre and early teens. Stratey and Tactics magazine games in high school. Fall of Rome, American Civil War and CA were the first. Purchased Mech War 1977/1944 and Terrible Swift Sword, and Drang Nach Osten. Then on the the Avalon Hill classics but TSS and DNO hooked me on the monsters.
      "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
      Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

Besides Stratego and Risk, there was the old Milton Bradley game, Dogfight. Jutland was the first dedicated historical wargame I owned followed by the classic AH lineup: Blitzkrieg, Tactics II, Afrika Corps, Gettysburg, Waterloo, Bulge, Midway and Stalingrad. Fun days when there was such a thing as the neighborhood hobby store with plastic models, model rockets, electric trains, slot cars and those great games.

Comment

Panzer Leader.

Wargames couldn't be bought in small town eastern Canada at that time. The uncle of a friend bought the game for him on a trip to the US.

We had never heard of such a thing, he brought it to school to see who would be interested in playing. He and I were hooked!
          Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

1963 - AH's "Gettysburg!" I wish I had a small percentage of the money I have spend on wargames. But, I don't regret the expense. t

Comment

Tactics II here as my 1st board game and then any AH I could my hands on. Minatures in the Marines and then PC games. There was an old cheesy Commodore 64 game Battle of the Bulge I loved...
              In Vino Veritas

Comment

My first board game was Dungeon, followed by Russian Campaign and Aces High
                Today is a good day for someone else to die.

"That people can sleep peaceably in their beds is because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X