Your first Wargames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your first Wargames

I have fond memories of the games that I cut my teeth on- those wonderful Avalon Hill games of way, way back.

Panzerblitz
    Gettysburg
    Third Reich
    "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

Panzerblitz/Panzer Leader, yep solid fun.

Third Reich became more fun when it was released as Advanced Third Reich. They weeded out some cheesy moves based on limited minors force pools etc.

And of course Squad Leader (which I think I will go back to instead of staying with the hopelessly not ready for new meat ASL).

I also have my copies of Fortress Europa, Russian Front and the slightly more interesting Russian Front. As well as Anzio and Afrika Korps.

Board games have in my opinion managed to stay good games. I am in the process currently of telling a swath of computer games to go and try impress someone else though.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Oh, yeah. Squad Leader; that was a great game. I also remember a game on the Battle Of Midway that was excellent, but the publisher I don't recall the name of.

AH produced "The Longest Day" which was a battalion-level game of the D-Day invasion; a real monster, with a huge map and over 1600 counters.

I never played a full game of it, but I would like to have another go at that one.
      "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

My first wargame was AH's Blitzkrieg nthat I got when I was a senior in High School.After I joined the Army I was introduced and really learned to play wargames by my the Plt Leader,Lt Don Elder.He taught me to play A game called Red Star/White Star while on Border duty on the Czech border.After I got out I found Squad Leader.PanzerBlitz,Panzer Leader and many more of the AH titles.The only board game I have left is Fortress Europa.I now mostkly play Steel Panthers MBT & WW2 as Well as Silent Hunter 3 & 4,IL2,Defending the Reich And Air War over Vietnam.Im loking to add Harpoon and Air War over the Middle East very soon.
        If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

I have that one too.

Man the detail.

6 hours if you are lucky to set up the pieces. Charts of counters.
          I went and took GREAT effort to go through all my books and research the shot out of the losses of day one just for one reason, too much work just to make it pointless with a few bad dice rolls.

So I have the ideal results for D+1 all painstakingly recreated in game mechanics. Not easy.

Comment

The first one was either AH's Panzerblitz or Luftwaffe. But I think my very first was either a game MacArthur.

Comment

Actually, I fibbed a little. I started with wargames at the age of 4 or so; playing with those Airfix plastic 32mm toy soldiers in the sandbox; maybe you remember those; they had British, American, Japanese....

Sorry. I digress.

There was another title I recall, called Shogun. Fun little game.

Comment

My first was the original AH Gettysburg with squares instead of hexes and difference size and shape markers depending on unit type.

Comment

Originally posted by CATO1948 View Post
                  My first was the original AH Gettysburg with squares instead of hexes and difference size and shape markers depending on unit type.
                  Gettysburg was my first also. Then got PanzerBlitz, Luftwaffe and several others. The game that hooked me and made me a grognard was the original 3rd Reich. My interest intensified, I discovered SPI and the rest is history.

Comment

Avalon Hill's Air Assault on Crete. A buddy of mine just brought it over one day. Neither of us had ever played a wargame before (except maybe chess).

AH: Panzer Leader, Blitzkrieg, Bismarck; Victory Games: 7th Fleet; GDW: Third World War (all 4), and SSI (?): War of the Ring soon followed.

God Bless our parents because our hobby was pretty expensive in 80s.

Wlad
                    The only thing that matters is how well you walk through the fire.
                    Charles Bukowski

Comment

Of course my ACTUAL first wargame was Tactics II.

Man I wish we could still have games of that calibre being marketed.

Straightforward, simple, easy, fun.

We'd have more wargamers if we had more wargames that resulted in our wargaming hobby eh.

Wargaming as we board gaming wargamers know it, didn't begin with ASL (board) and War in the Pacific (computer).

Comment

Originally posted by globetrotter View Post
                        Actually, I fibbed a little. I started with wargames at the age of 4 or so; playing with those Airfix plastic 32mm toy soldiers in the sandbox; maybe you remember those; they had British, American, Japanese....

Sorry. I digress.
                        Mine were Britain's and Tempo(?) plastics of a similar size.

First board wargames? Panzerblitz, SPI Normandy (or was it 'D-Day') and some of the ones from the old 'Strategy and Tactics' magazine I was loaned. That said, I used to play 'Campaign' a lot when I was 8 or 9, much to my parents annoyance (I used to co-opt the dining table).
                        Signing out.

Comment

My dad bought me Panzer Leader and The Arab-Israeli Wars from a local thrift store, at that point I fell in love with wargames.

Panzerblitz was my first electronic wargame I owed when I bought it for the Playstation back in the day.

Comment

I was hooked on Mutant Cronicles during some years in my youth, and I guess my first wargame was "Blood Berets" from that series.

That was followed by the minature game "Warzone" and after that switched to "Warhammer" to get more opponents.

It was not until i past 25 when I got my self together and took the plunge into ASL. If you want to wargame, then why not take it all the way I though.
                            "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

My first game was actually a PC game, it was Clash of Steel and it was pretty fun.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X