What happened to game demos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to game demos?

Ages ago games used to have demos. You tried the demo and saw whether you liked the game, whether your PC could handle it etc. Then this practice completely disappeared.
    Now you can only 1) pay full price on a hunch; 2) watch the channels of people playing to get a general idea; 3) turn to pirates.
    Why did gaming companies drop this practice? What was wrong with it?

They weren't making a profit, although the on-line games offer opportunities to view the game on YouTube. All of those games are money-making scams to begin with, and outfits like Steam/Dovetail are the worst of the bunch.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Older games, such as Painkiller had great demos. You played three actual levels of that game. Kerbal Space Program used to have a good demo where you were limited in rocket parts and could only travel to one of the moons. You can still get the older version of Space Engine for free which is an excellent universe simulator with tons of actual data on celestial objects.

But,

For the most part on Steam, you either have to wait for a free weekend to play a game, or cancel it to get a refund in a time restricted period of less then an hour after installing.

Watch the You Tubers, if it looks interesting, wait for that game to go on Steam Sale and get a good deal.

Finally; Avoid those games from major gaming companies that launch at $60 on up with little or no early access. More often then not, they are money grab ripoffs that are full of bugs, or worse yet, like Fallout 76, a ripoff that is nothing more then a buggy repackaging of Fallout 4, sucker you into a $100 a year subscription after you have handed them over $60 just so you can play with like friends, or nickel and dime you to death with micro purchases or pay to win.
      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
        (…)
        Finally; Avoid those games from major gaming companies that launch at $60 on up with little or no early access. More often then not, they are money grab ripoffs that are full of bugs, or worse yet, like Fallout 76, a ripoff that is nothing more then a buggy repackaging of Fallout 4, sucker you into a $100 a year subscription after you have handed them over $60 just so you can play with like friends, or nickel and dime you to death with micro purchases or pay to win.
        I've been having great fun with RDR 2 for months now, full price game, no demo, but great value for money, of course part of a big franchise that really doesn't need demo's....

Tried to start up a conversation a few times about it, but no one is really interested here, strange ?
        High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

I've been having great fun with RDR 2 for months now, full price game, no demo, but great value for money, of course part of a big franchise that really doesn't need demo's....
          The older version is often a demo enough especially as the y go on sale.

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
          Tried to start up a conversation a few times about it, but no one is really interested here, strange ?
          Doesn't seem to be strange. There seems to be little interest in the gaming section due to part of the popularity of Facebook on those topics. You can always sail the stormy seas of Atlas on PC or X-Box. You will need crew members to efficiently sail anything larger then a raft. I like the raft for gathering floating crates using a grappling hook. It is a lot easier to steer and stop close to them. The Ships of the Dammed tend to ignore rafts while they will attack your larger ships.

“Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Looks nice, and certainly on my to do list for the future, it's the MP/online aspect that holds me back a bit, with limited gaming time I really can't be bothered with "other people" slowing me down...

Doesn't seem to be strange.
            Strange that no one here has been playing it, I mean, or at least that no one is talking about it.

I figured it would be a big hit.

Perhaps you're right, and people just don't come to the ACG to talk about games
            High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

You do not need to play Atlas online. You have access to either a custom map or the entire 255 seamless sector 45,000 square kilometer world in single player, or host local with up to eight friends where you control the access to playing and can freeze the game when you are not playing.

When you find some gold coins, often found in floating crates in the sea, or in ship wreaks, you can hire some NPC crew to man the sails and canons on your later in game custom built larger ships.

Buried treasure is protected by the undead. You can easily tame up a warthog army using them to kill the undead pirates. If activated, you can also use your warthogs to kill optional NPC pirates camped on an island that you want to claim.
              “Breaking News,”

Comment

You do not need to play Atlas online. You have access to either a custom map or the entire 255 seamless sector 45,000 square kilometer world in single player, or host local with up to eight friends where you control the access to playing and can freeze the game when you are not playing.
                Good review here :

Unlike history books, Atlas’ world is significantly sillier on its surface. One of the largest global powers in the North American PVP server the Kraken’s Maw is the Sexy Cats Alliance, which borders the Big Dick Boys Alliance. Much darker are the veins of nationalism and racism that run throughout the community, spurred by an ongoing war between the game’s Asian and Western player bases.
                https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/5/182...rly-access-pvp

Sounds intriguing - but also very time consuming, any experience with such worldwide MMO wars ?

That land can be contested and stolen, especially if its owner is offline.
                When companies acquire and hold land, they can rent it to vassals, who pay taxes. Growth leads to more growth, and companies often end up joining massive alliances to keep their share of land and holdings.
                Battle in Atlas is messy, chaotic, and heavily reliant on exploiting the game’s jankiness. Battle ranges from the psychological, such as customizing a ship’s sails to taunt your enemies in a series of racist, nationalist taunts, to the outright bizarre, like a hacker using an administrator account to spawn fighter planes and whales on their foes.

But I especially like this one :

Some players fill their pockets with comical amounts of crafting materials, then board enemy ships to sink them with the weight.
                Last edited by Snowygerry; 30 Oct 19, 04:59.

Comment

From the same review, since they echo my concerns with such MMO games, for now...

“There are some games that you can play with a family and a baby. Atlas isn’t one of them. I don’t think, with the player base it has now, it can ever be one of them.”
                  Sometimes we get a ping on Discord and we all log on to be the fastest ones into a grid. I watch Netflix and farm metal for the company.
                  “It’s like a history novel or military campaign, except all of the nations are named dumb **** like the OwO Empire, and everyone involved is kind of an *******,” Julian said. “But I get to be there and be a part of it, and that makes it worth it.”
                  When competing with a family for screen time, you need full control of all aspects of a game, when it starts, how long it will last, what will appear on screen etc...

So for the moment I doubt this is for me, maybe some time in future

Last edited by Snowygerry; 30 Oct 19, 05:42.

Comment

In Single player or hosted local mode, you have complete control of the game. When you log off, unlike if you are playing online, the game is frozen in time. You set the rules, the difficulty, if you want NPC pirates or not, etc... As a result, your game can last as long as you want. It will continue where you left off when you start playing it at another time. I don't play Ark that much but I do have 1800 actual hours in that game since it came out in 2015. Some players, the ones that bitch about being wiped out on the public server, 5,000 or more.

No matter the game, public servers run 24-7 and are full of toxic players that make it impossible for someone to start playing.

Good news for Gaming PC users, Both Ark and Atlas are on 1/2 price or less sale until November 1st. The Blackwood single player map is a free DLC. There are several free DLC maps for Ark. The Oceans map on Atlas is playable offline as single player with optional NPC pirates to defeat before you can claim their island and NPC crews that can be hired to man your ships.

$15 to purchase Atlas. $17.49 for Ark. Be prepared for huge downloads, over 100G of data on each game.

Ark single player is playable around the kids. You can turn the blood overlay off.

Atlas is more older kid orientated due to the violence of pirating. Still, you can play it without being violent. There are animals that can be passive tames, you can avoid combat, and you can snag floating crates with a grappling hook to get treasure.

Good for the kids if played single player is Pixark. It is Minecraft, Ark, and Dark and Light all combined.
                    Last edited by SRV Ron; 30 Oct 19, 16:38.
                    “Breaking News,”

Comment

(…)
                      Good for the kids if played single player is Pixark. It is Minecraft, Ark, and Dark and Light all combined.
                      That should be a big hit with my target audience yes, at least regular Minecraft is, and this one has dinos instead of cows….

I'm not telling them about it though, let them find out for themselves
                      Last edited by Snowygerry; 31 Oct 19, 06:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
                        Ages ago games used to have demos. You tried the demo and saw whether you liked the game, whether your PC could handle it etc. Then this practice completely disappeared.
                        Now you can only 1) pay full price on a hunch; 2) watch the channels of people playing to get a general idea; 3) turn to pirates.
                        Why did gaming companies drop this practice? What was wrong with it?

I know for Steam you can get a refund if the game isn't suitable for you or your pc... the requirements are less than two hours game time or have the game in your library for less than two weeks.

As to why we don't see them... https://www.gamepressure.com/editori...e-the-de/z9162
                        Last edited by Achtung Baby; 31 Oct 19, 09:00.
                        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                        Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                          I know for Steam you can get a refund if the game isn't suitable for you or your pc... the requirements are less than two hours game time or have the game in your library for less than two weeks.
                          That policy is primarily to see if a specific system can run the game. It is very good in that regard, but will give little to no information as to how enjoyable a game may be; given that most of the two hours is spent fiddling with switches and adjustments to get a game to run.

Oh, and be extra damn careful that you do not run the game a single minute over the 2-hour grace period or you will be unable to request a refund. There are even underhanded publishers like Matrix Games who will do everything they can to make you 'accidentally' go over the limit, just so you are stuck with their trash. All their games have a useless 'auto-launcher' whose main function is to drive you over the 2-hour limit. So, be very, very, very damn careful with anything from Matrix. You may think that you are doing nothing, but the 2-hour clock is already running.
                          ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                          2) Enjoy playing it
                          3) Enjoy sharing it
                          4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

I've seen demo games surfacing lately. GOG even managed to advertise a couple of such games to me on Facebook. Steam has the free weekends. There are games that offer free basic game, with majority of content coming through DLCs.
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X