No announcement yet.

Is gaming dead, dying, or just done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning everyone. What a great topic. As I evolved, it became clear this is what I liked to do. In the 60's I was introduced to Broadside, Hit the Beach, and a Civil War game from the series that I don't remember the name to. Gaming died out for me until I started college and met a few guys who played Avalon Hill games. D-Day, Stalingrad, Bulge, and Russian Campaign. What made it even better was that we had books and magazines to enhance the gaming experience. The beer and pizza helped to. Haven't played a game in decades, but I still enjoy the maps and looking at the pieces. CD games brought me back for a long time. Panzer General II, Red Alert, Strategic Command, and Age of Empires to Name a few. They were cool because I didn't need someone else to play. They were so much quicker. You didn't have figure out odds, and the computer played to other side. Facebook had some games, but they are gone now. I used to bring out Risk for people to play, but those days are long over. My favorite game of all time? Panzer General II. That was a fun game.
    "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

I still play Panzer General. The download is from Panzer General Forever. It includes PGII. There is an old RISK game in my closet. While it is mostly Plastic counters, I have two old wooden pieces which date back to the time Darrel Royer attacked me in Iceland from Greenland, He had over 100 armies and I had something like 16. When the dies quit rolling, he had four armies left and I had six! I marked that ten army wooden counter and use it still! My Grandsons don't play me any more, "Pawpaw, you always win!". Wimps!

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by BayonetBrant View Post

We run TTS games every Saturday night over at www.armchairdragoons.com and stream them live
        oh sweet will have to check it out

btw do you guys have a twich stream or just on youtube
        Last edited by craven; 18 Dec 19, 15:31.

Comment

With Steam on the PC, one will not lose any games that they have purchased should their computer die. All you have to to is register the replacement computer with Steam, which is easy to do as well as free, and download the games you have. If you have backed up the saves to a removable device, you are good to continue from your last save.

It is safe to say that the PC and Console has taken the imagination away from playing the board games but has opened up a world of playing with friends on line hosting private matches, or entering the toxic world of the public server, either for frustration, or for pouring money into a rat hole of microtransactions and monthly subscriptions to make the gaming company rich. (Pay to play, Pay to win.)

I stick with interesting early access games that are from little known companies and not with the $60+ titles of the greedy AAA companies. The survival ones are most interesting as well as crafting games.

“Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

It seems that my old steam games were eating my laptop hard drive or something. I can't get the games back.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

One of my favourite games was released in 2012, and it was a huge update from a previous version. So popular it has become that the developer has kept it going with extensive DLCs and allowed modding. To this day it’s still widely played and updated... with more potential for DLCs to keep the cashflow going. Despite its age it’s been graphically updated thus never looking dated or jaded.

The biggest gripe I tend to see overall is that DLCs should have sufficient content to merit the player wanting to buy it. And the devs on periodically updating their content to keep it fresh. If I know the devs have made a game relatively bug free and wish to expand it later on, I’m willing to pay for good quality DLCs to help them achieve that goal.
              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
              Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

If triple A games go the way that Bethesda has gone then buying new games are over for me. I refuse to be baited with pay to win mechanics, they call it 'Whaling' just to be more insulting to their base. F them and I'll play older games.
                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                  If triple A games go the way that Bethesda has gone then buying new games are over for me. I refuse to be baited with pay to win mechanics, they call it 'Whaling' just to be more insulting to their base. F them and I'll play older games.
                  Which is why I refuse to shell out $60 retail for one, especially when they hit you with hundreds of crappy Pay DLCs such as what has been done with The Sims, or Train Sim World. Or worse yet, a monthly subscription to play on top of the $60 purchase for a game that is a repackage of an older one complete with the bugs. (Bethesda.)

This is where games like Ark or Kerbal Space Program have thrived. Ark has extensive user created content via the free Unreal 4 Dev kit. Ark has several player created maps that are so good that the Devs have hired the map makers to work for them. They have even released their work as official free DLCs for consoles and PCs. The creators of Atlas hired two of those map makers to create all of the islands used in that world as well as hiring the creator of the Crystal Isle map to create the beautiful islands of the Blackwood map DLC.

Even some old classic titles, such as Duke Nukem 3-D and Unreal still have users creating maps and add ons that have kept those games going way beyond their expected lifetime.

From the Blackwood map of Atlas. Hard to tame but an awesome creature to get around with.

Last edited by SRV Ron; 22 Dec 19, 07:03.
                  “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post

btw do you guys have a twich stream or just on youtube

Just YouTube. Sorry - I don't check this forum very often
                    In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at www.armchairdragoons.com

Comment

Originally posted by BayonetBrant View Post

Just YouTube. Sorry - I don't check this forum very often
                      oh not a problem I been trying to catch ya on Saturday nights. Although I am still wondering why I would have to create a channel to type in chat. Good work you guys are entertaining

Comment

Gaming died for me when the PC games all went away. I will not spend good money on a dedicated game station nor do I care for the on-line goat-ropes that pass for "gaming" these days, filled with cheaters.
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 15 Jan 20, 14:26.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Gaming died for me when the PC games all went away. I will not spend good money on a dedicated game station nor do I care for the on-line goat-ropes that pass for "gaming" these days, filled with cheaters.
                          The cheaters are just as bad on the overpriced consoles with their pay to play subscriptions as it is on the public servers on PC. The recourse is to get together with like friends and set up a private server. PC games has access to tons of user created downloads from non greedy companies with Ark Survival Evolved being a classic example of a game that continues to be popular. Even the abandoned Microsoft Train Simulator which still has huge user created content and has been revived with the user created free Open Rails.

There are plenty of games out there that are not from money grubbing companies that nickel and dime you to death with microtransactions, pay to win, pay to play with a $100 a year subscription, overpriced DLC, and releasing repackaged game for $60 full of the same bugs as the last edition.

You are right about one thing, gaming has died on ACG. So has that on historical events. That is evident by the lack of posting here as posting on the Current Events forum has deteriorated into Trump derangement Syndrome, personal attacks on posters, and random admins censoring of posting. That unholy civil war is going to continue to get worse as November approaches.

I'll continue to check this site to see what activity, if any, is taking place. But, I am done with posting in the North American Forum with it's caustic activity that is worse then gaming on a public server with Alpha tribes, hackers, and cheaters.
                          “Breaking News,”

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            It seems that my old steam games were eating my laptop hard drive or something. I can't get the games back.

Pruitt
                            Same with mine, and no amount of effort gets any help from Steam, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Same with mine, and no amount of effort gets any help from Steam, either.
                              Steam doesn't support Win 7.
                              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                              Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post

Steam doesn't support Win 7.
                                Since when? I used to run TrainSim which was entirely on Win7, and right now, they are advertising a complete package of Sudden Strike v4 for $40 that is compatible with all versions of Win such as 7, Pro and Vista.

Once they take your money, they pretty much have to enable you to play the game. so long as it was sold for that version. Otherwise, they are looking at false advertising and fraud. Or, they can refund your purchase costs.

And responding to customer problems is not limited to a specific version. That's just ducking responsibility and poor business ethics.

That's why I haven't purchased the SS package. Steam has a very poor reputation when it come to helping customers get what they paid for.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X