Rule the Waves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule the Waves

So, does anyone else play this game? I find some elements to be a bit cheesy, but I certainly enjoy the ship editor and trying out different naval philosophies to see how they would have worked out if they had been pursued. Like the "nothing but battlecruisers", "Jeune Ecole Purist" or "slow, heavy, and stupidly powerful" concepts.....
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

I've played it. I prefer the position of First Sea Lord to that of Minister of War, which is the point of view for the game. I just do not enjoy the political dimensions.

I do like the idea that players do not conduct research on specific systems or weapons. Instead, generic research spawns a 'better torpedo/gun/whatever'. Still, I found the technology streams a bit unimaginative.
    ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
    2) Enjoy playing it
    3) Enjoy sharing it
    4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      So, does anyone else play this game? I find some elements to be a bit cheesy, but I certainly enjoy the ship editor and trying out different naval philosophies to see how they would have worked out if they had been pursued. Like the "nothing but battlecruisers", "Jeune Ecole Purist" or "slow, heavy, and stupidly powerful" concepts.....
      do not play that game Tac you will regret it. Its a time sink and a half. I love the game. You can custom build ships I have done a number of play throughs Arnold did a play through of it

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...-draining-game

link to the short thread from a few years ago

I think you will love the game just wish you could multi player the battles

Comment

I've sunk a lot of time in as well. They have a RTW2 reaching Beta, and that will include aviation, which could change some of the issues that I have with the game once you get clear of 1930.....I actually enjoy the later game wars better, when you've had time to build some truly mature designs....or some ridiculous arms treaty is in place and you have to find unique work arounds for it.

Comment

I've sunk a lot of time in as well. They have a RTW2 reaching Beta, and that will include aviation, which could change some of the issues that I have with the game once you get clear of 1930.....I actually enjoy the later game wars better, when you've had time to build some truly mature designs....or some ridiculous arms treaty is in place and you have to find unique work arounds for it.
          yeah I prefer the late game also one design I had had something stupid like 12 18 inch guns a night fight happened and first volley enemy BB was sunk

have you seen any time line on release I saw something that said Q 2 or Q 3 but there forum does not give much info

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post

yeah I prefer the late game also one design I had had something stupid like 12 18 inch guns a night fight happened and first volley enemy BB was sunk

have you seen any time line on release I saw something that said Q 2 or Q 3 but there forum does not give much info
            I don't have any idea on time of release either.

I wish I could say I've had an experience like that, but normally by the time I get to the late game I'm building some positively ridiculous ship (16 x 16in guns being a favorite attempt) and right about then when I'm blowing the budget on a worldbeater class that'll be ready in 2 years, I'm faced with the sadistic choice of either fighting 2 countries or accepting some BS arms treaty. So normally my late game wars are 'ultimate cruiser showdown' with heavy cruisers, heck sometimes even battlecruisers (by size), running 8-10in guns.

Comment

oops I left out a turrent it was quad 18s so 16 18 inch turrents I have never had a chance to rebuild that ships due weight issue I must of hit the sweet spot to pull that off and use it. I usually play as japan so my experience might be different because typically I own the NE pac and SE PA with bases in Africa

Comment

Not bad for 1902 .... jeffy.png
                Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Originally posted by Dashy View Post
                  Not bad for 1902 .... jeffy.png
                  Hey Dashy, haven't seen you around for quite some time. Welcome back.
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Don't skip gunnery class kids, Also, make sure you have enough light ships to screen your fleet!
                    Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

I posted a couple ARRS here a while back. I had endgame problems, as others have mentioned: come up with an uber design but am either broke or get into a major war with the lead super BB 21 months from completion...

I like to play Austro-Hungary or German, because I just can't get the hang of colonies; either they get snapped up in the opening weeks, or I have a mountainnof steel rusting in some backwater while the real fight is half the world away.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I agree. Same problem keeps coming up.

Had a couple of recently good games which sort of cemented my basic approach.

CSA (Also works for USA): Early on have some cheap and cheerful CLs that are long ranged and fast. Everything else is secondary. Use them all as raiders when you get into those early game wars. They're fast enough to avoid all but the fastest enemy cruisers early game. Once you can build BBs and BCs, focus on your BCF with an emphasis on speed, fire control, and firepower. Early on you can make BCs that can absorb damage from all but the most potent BBs, which you can easily avoid. But for USA and CSA, and slightly lesser for Japan, you can have a war which will be almost entirely cruiser battles. The way the game works it out, BBs will only get drawn into Coastal Bombardments, Fleet Battles, Battleship Engagements, and Convoy Defense. BCs get into pretty much every type of fight, and will be spawned more often into fights. So being able to put 2-3 BCs into every engagement is a key to success. See my germany thoughts for my full opinion of what works as a BC in this game.

Japan: Build destroyers. Lots and Lots of Destroyers. Make sure that they're in a sea zone that your opponent is in prior to war kicking off. You'll get a 'surprise attack', and if you have a LOT of DDs backed up by some heavy units, you'll be able to sink most of their fleet at anchor and set the tone for your war. Especially good against the Russians.

Germany: Focus on your BCF as soon as possible. German BCs tend to be relatively tough for whatever reason, and I found that if you have numbers of guns and good fire control you can beat the Brits handily. Best class of BCs I've built as Germans are 27kt BCs with 16 x 13in guns and improved directors. Not the 'absolute best'. But for 1 loss I sunk most of the British BBs and BCs in the ensuing war, including a number of powerful BBs with 8-12 x 15 and 16in guns. The caliber, IMHO is secondary to the number when you have good fire control. The first side to get in a number of hits with their main batteries almost always wins the engagement, no matter what the armor scheme is. Again, most of the engagements are going to be 'cruiser actions', and the Brits build a lot of BCs, so having enough BCs to put 2-3 into every cruiser action in the Northern Europe sector is a key to winning the war. If you run the game out to 1950, then having those BCs with 18in guns works, as single hits are often outright kills on many ships, but prior to everyone having advanced directors and huge guns, focusing your research on fire control and turrets will net you quadruple turrets and directors faster (hopefully), and both of them conspire to blanket the enemy in fire at a minimum of weight cost for your ship.

Comment

Amazing! I'll have to implement these ideas. Is there an upgrade that takes it to 1950? Mine run out in the 1920s.
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

The game 'officially' ends December 1925. But it'll let you keep going until 1950 if you ignore the 'ending' message and keep playing.

Comment

The game 'officially' ends December 1925. But it'll let you keep going until 1950 if you ignore the 'ending' message and keep playing.

Craven mentioned a second edition. you heard anything? I couldn't find anything on the site.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X